RC Enthusiast

boats have never interested me

but when i saw this baby, wow! i have gotaa get me one of these! yet again traxxas come up with the goods!

can anyone tell me if there are strict rules on using these boats on public lakes, i live in the uk and im pretty sure some jobsworth will tell me off or something.
    Jato3.3/SlashUltimate/RustlerVXL/RevoVXL/BL 4tec

RC Qualifier
    well have a look around he lake or where ever u want to run the boat

if it is anything like australia where i live, there will be signs plastered all over the place telling u what u can and cant do

if there no sign, do what u want
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Where im from in ontario canada you can do whatever you want as long as your not endangering anyone. People can complain but a lake is public property. Laws about alcohol consumption still apply and there are rules about driving full size boats but you can fly an RC float plane or drive any RC boat and no one can say anything until you hit a loon or a kid or something bad happens.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by slashvxl
    but when i saw this baby, wow! i have gotaa get me one of these! yet again traxxas come up with the goods!

can anyone tell me if there are strict rules on using these boats on public lakes, i live in the uk and im pretty sure some jobsworth will tell me off or something.
    check with your park or where you are thinking of running this bad boy
    every place has different rules
    keep in mind, FE boats are like a drug, you always want more!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Where im from in ontario canada you can do whatever you want as long as your not endangering anyone. People can complain but a lake is public property. Laws about alcohol consumption still apply and there are rules about driving full size boats but you can fly an RC float plane or drive any RC boat and no one can say anything until you hit a loon or a kid or something bad happens.
    That's not really true right there. Yes the laws of alcohol, boat licence requirements, safety gear etc, apply to boaters. Your post made me curious as to what really qualifies as "legal" so I called up a bud who was with the Coast Guard (now a lawyer but we don't say that out loud ) to get his thoughts. Lakes in Ontario are considered public land as long as you are operating from a shoreline deemed to be public access. When operating in front of a privately owned property (cottages) the laws of the lake can be applied to your R/C should said property owner push for charges. There is a 10kmh speed limit within 100ft from shore and noise statutes in place that an electric may violate (a nitro for sure). He went on with some "legalese" that I just didn't understand and sort of glossed over from there. Would an officer, be it OPP, RCMP or Coast Guard use these charges? Highly doubt it! It is possible though they may just come to light with all this bogus "go green" crap they jam down our throats these days.
    Like most recreational laws there is a lot of grey area and interpretation is the norm.

Just use the same reasoning I use for the noise statute with my real boat...

"Vessels without mufflers shall not operate and are not permitted within 7km's from shore". My boat has through hull exhaust with no mufflers and to this I say....How do I launch my boat 7km's from shore? Can I get a permit to build a dock 7km's long? Sounds ridiculous but in the eyes of the system it's a reasonable defence!
    So yes, you've got the gist of it. Don't be stupid and everyone will come away having enjoyed the water and that's really what counts.

Really, really sorry for jacking the thread but like I said, it was just something that made me very curious!!
    Your signature can not be longer than 50 character

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Its interesting you brought that up because I did actually check with my neighbour (an OPP officer on the SAVE (snowmobile, ATV and Vessel Enforcement) team). His full time gig in the summer is patrolling boats on ontario waterways. He gave me a full go ahead that RC boats do not apply as they are considered a toy. They are not a licensable vehicle and dont fit into any category currently covered by ontario law.
    Though he did say the noise could be an issue for a nitro or gas powered RC boat, but that the charges that COULD be applied have nothing to do with the waterway and would apply anywhere to any vehicle, RC or otherwise.
    Its pretty typical for Police in ontario to have and give conflicting information. Like you said, I just go with the common sense approach. I dont drive while people are swimming or when the noise may bother someone. Luckily my neighbours are all motorheads with ATVs and seadoos so noise is not an issue... they love my RC's and even THEY cant wait to see my titan.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Oh, I agree with you completely, don't get me wrong. Common sense is always the best rule of thumb. And yes, our laws are written with a great deal of "interpretation" built in.
    I just found it funny that should the situation escalate this "toy" would fall under the noise statute and apparently could just snowball from there. Which is the same point your guy made. And like I said it came from a lawyer so he can twist this into places cops can't even imagine.

As for the Ontario cops, again, I agree with you completely!! Very few of them actually know the law (proven almost daily in my job) and the longer they are cops the lazier they seem to get. Like I tell my cop neighbor,

Hey, at least you don't have to actually work for a living.....

Now that I've completely derailed this thread....My apologies slashvxl!
    Your signature can not be longer than 50 character

RC poster
    Being electric, noise shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful around birds. If anyone sees your boat near or chasing a duck, you can count on signs banning RC going up shortly.

RC Racer
    well you know what they say common sense isn't that common.

RC Qualifier
    I can't wait to take this to the lake I always see guys with they're rc sailboats putting around it's a huge lake but they always stay near the shoreline if I blew by they're boats with the titan it would probly flip them lol.. I want to talk with them about how they recover flipped boats because I'm sure I'm gunna flip this lol

RC Racer
    Cut the foot out of a pair of panty-hose, and put a tennis ball down into it (the foot portion)

Tie the foot of the panty-hose with the ball in it to the line on a fishing rod/reel.

If you flip the boat, you can cast the tennis ball out over it, and get the line between the rudder and the hull or some similar nook/cranny, then gently reel it in.

This is how I've always done it, anyway...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctvxl
    Cut the foot out of a pair of panty-hose, and put a tennis ball down into it (the foot portion)

Tie the foot of the panty-hose with the ball in it to the line on a fishing rod/reel.

If you flip the boat, you can cast the tennis ball out over it, and get the line between the rudder and the hull or some similar nook/cranny, then gently reel it in.

This is how I've always done it, anyway...
    great idea man!
    do you know how hard it is to tie fishing line around a tennis ball
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer