Thread: Turning Ability

RC Champion

Turning Ability

I know a lot of RC boats are designed to turn right much better than left. How is the Titan going to handle turning left compared to right?
    Hopefully be able to make decent turns both directions...
    Last edited by wvchevy; 06-19-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC Champion
    well a lot of those boats only have turning fins on one side but the titan has a turning fin on both sides so it should be good turning both ways.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Racer
    I feel it will still turn better to the right compared to the left. All of my past rc boats have done it as well as my two 1:1 boats that i owned. I think it has to to with the direction of the rotation of the prop. Perhaps someone else could explain a bit more.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug777
    I feel it will still turn better to the right compared to the left. All of my past rc boats have done it as well as my two 1:1 boats that i owned. I think it has to to with the direction of the rotation of the prop. Perhaps someone else could explain a bit more.
    It's called prop torque

For example 1:1 outboard motors have a little skeg anode that sits on the underside of the cavitation plate behind the prop. The angle of the skeg anode can be adjusted to offset the prop torque

Given the Titan will be sold with a 2.4 system, the EPA should be adjustable enough to sort out steering bias

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO
    It's called prop torque

For example 1:1 outboard motors have a little skeg anode that sits on the underside of the cavitation plate behind the prop. The angle of the skeg anode can be adjusted to offset the prop torque

Given the Titan will be sold with a 2.4 system, the EPA should be adjustable enough to sort out steering bias
    On my Aeromarine Titan we installed turn fins on both sides. Some racers even have a small fin on the keel of the boat directly underneath the motor which is placed at the center of gravity for the boat.

We also put a cavitation plat on the rear strut. In an attempt to stabilize the boat a bit more. I don't have any concrete speed comparison with or without it but it appears at idling the boat kept up a higher speed and allowed the boat to come up from a low idle to high speed quicker. It also appeared to be quicker through the turns. These comparisons were made while observing the boat in competition with other hulls although it could be attributed to the boat hull and prop performance. The cavitation place did appear to make the props more efficient. It caused a bunch of controversy through causing it to go to the rule board for review but was passed. It is said that it creates lift acting lke another riding surface but I don't see how. I know on real boats it supposed to help the boat get on plane faster.

RC Qualifier
    Cavitation plates, aka hydrofoils on 1:1 boats are used mainly due to the boat being underpowered. It does help the boat get on plane faster, it gives the boat a smoother ride in chop, and decreases the roll in turns. However if a boat needs one there is something wrong with the boat itself in the way it is set up and is only masking the real problem. Basically all they do is keep the prop from cavitating (sucking in air) therefore making the prop more efficient (Just as nitrobaby stated). Do note that they will also add drag and decrease your top speed.
    However they can be very dangerous as well. They are known to cut into the water while turning which makes the boat essentially "hop" which could actually throw passengers out of the boat. Not to mention they void the boats warranty.
    So the principle should be the same for r/c, cavitation plates can help it get up to speed quicker and help stabilize the boat, but it will decrease top speed slightly due to drag.
    VXL Rustler on 3s
    Villain IVX on (2) 2s

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O~Boy
    Cavitation plates, aka hydrofoils on 1:1 boats are used mainly due to the boat being underpowered. It does help the boat get on plane faster, it gives the boat a smoother ride in chop, and decreases the roll in turns. However if a boat needs one there is something wrong with the boat itself in the way it is set up and is only masking the real problem. Basically all they do is keep the prop from cavitating (sucking in air) therefore making the prop more efficient (Just as nitrobaby stated). Do note that they will also add drag and decrease your top speed.
    However they can be very dangerous as well. They are known to cut into the water while turning which makes the boat essentially "hop" which could actually throw passengers out of the boat. Not to mention they void the boats warranty.
    So the principle should be the same for r/c, cavitation plates can help it get up to speed quicker and help stabilize the boat, but it will decrease top speed slightly due to drag.
    Yah... I am not sure if it slowed the boat any or not as I did not do a back to back comparison. I am also not sure of comparisons from large scale to small scale as far as the effects to the boat go. Like I mentioned before... everything effects everthing so it's hard to say if a cavitation plate has the same exact effect on a large scale where the power to weight ratio is a lot higher than on a small scale. To give a quick example. The designer of my boat first 100 mph by accident. It was discovered while trying to figure out why he couldn't do 90 as usual... He spent months going 90 not knowing how close he was going over the century mark... and what he thought worked one way ended up working exactly the opposite... and this is a guy who makes his living at making R/C boats go fast so he has a lot more time to test, test and retest then most. : )

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobaby
    Yah... I am not sure if it slowed the boat any or not as I did not do a back to back comparison. I am also not sure of comparisons from large scale to small scale as far as the effects to the boat go. Like I mentioned before... everything effects everthing so it's hard to say if a cavitation plate has the same exact effect on a large scale where the power to weight ratio is a lot higher than on a small scale. To give a quick example. The designer of my boat first 100 mph by accident. It was discovered while trying to figure out why he couldn't do 90 as usual... He spent months going 90 not knowing how close he was going over the century mark... and what he thought worked one way ended up working exactly the opposite... and this is a guy who makes his living at making R/C boats go fast so he has a lot more time to test, test and retest then most. : )
    sorry.... I meant to say where the power to weight ration on a large scale is a lot lower than on my small scale.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i'm not sure whether cavitation plates have the same or as noticable effect on small scale as it does on 1:1 either, it'd be interesting to find out though with some thorough testing.
    VXL Rustler on 3s
    Villain IVX on (2) 2s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by wvchevy
    I know a lot of RC boats are designed to turn right much better than left. How is the Titan going to handle turning left compared to right?
    Hopefully be able to make decent turns both directions...
    Most mono hulls do great either left or right turns with turn fins and some are great without them..
    checkout the video of the titan with the camera mounted backwards..
    very cool and it shows how well this boat corners!
    Last edited by filmmaker; 06-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Most mono hulls do great either left or right turns with turn fins and some are great without them..
    checkout the video of the titan with the camera mounted backwards..
    very cool and it shows how well this boat corners!
    Cool... but we are always pushing for better. You really know how well your boat turns when you go into a corner with 6 abreast and you come out first or last. That's how you really know how well your doing. The E-Titan looks good though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobaby
    Cool... but we are always pushing for better. You really know how well your boat turns when you go into a corner with 6 abreast and you come out first or last. That's how you really know how well your doing. The E-Titan looks good though.
    and having extra power helps to!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer