Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78
    ... Where can I read about the correct way to handle lipo batteries?
    What brand/type of LiPo packs do you have?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Hmmm?
    well I bought 6 2s 5000mah 40c packs for $25.99 plus $8.00 shipping per pack..!
    that's $33.99 each
    There is really no sense in arguing with you, you sure did get a good deal.
    Last edited by Grand National; 07-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    I think Jakey is right, this new boat, is going to puff many LiPo's for those that are not experts. Heck this may lead us back to a renewed interest in NiMH packs ! At least you could make a water jacket and cool side x side packs.

I bet we see more LiFe packs being used for their durability and maybe a new interest in A123 packs, being ultra durable, and tolerant of being discharged under high amp loads. Plus the new boat is huge, and the extra weight and larger size of A123 cells may not be an issue, where it is in cars/trucks. However they are still very expensive, but that could change. Battery hope the LVC works well on the new ESC for this boat !

www.tanicpacks.com
    not even close!
    if you don't run the batteries beyond the 80% rule most any lipo pack will work.. 20c and plus
    I have many FE boats that pull more amps than what this Titan will, and I don't puff packs due to normal use
    and I personaly don't know any FE racer who uses LiFe packs at all for their Fast Electric boat!
    they do not produce the volts Lipo packs do and that means less power and speed out of a FE boat
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    How do you figure?
    the question was about the price of venom packs
    and venom by the way is about to go under because of their lack of customer sevice and products
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok those tanic packs are like 5 times the cost of the ones from hobbyparts and spcracing and the C rating is lower? Whats the difference? Are they really worth 5 times the money? Where can I read about the correct way to handle lipo batteries?
    Not worth the extra cash
    most any 20c and higher c rated pack will do just fine
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Yeah I agree the freshest high rating LiPo's will do OK, but I bet many older lower C packs will go. I'd still like to see who the first A123 modder will be and how it compares !
    for the older lipo packs, as long as they are in good condition they will work just fine
    let the LVC do its job and the batteries will LIVE
    as for the A123 packs, the volts are lover thus producing lower power and speed, and racers do not use them in FE
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the question was about the price of venom packs
    I understand that and my question still stands.
    and venom by the way is about to go under because of their lack of customer sevice and products
    Is that speculation or are you certain?

RC Qualifier
    what about a 5000MAh 8 cell NIMH battery? Will that push the top speed in th 40's but have longer run times than lipos? I wish this boat was out to see what lipos are working well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I understand that and my question still stands.

Is that speculation or are you certain?
    venom packs are more than 2x the price of many other packs
    no speculation about venom service! they are the worst in the hobby
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what about a 5000MAh 8 cell NIMH battery? Will that push the top speed in th 40's but have longer run times than lipos? I wish this boat was out to see what lipos are working well.
    8cell Nimh packs would work great, that would be a 5cell lipo setup
    the thing with lipos is, they produce so much more constant amps over Nimh batteries
    the higher the C rating the better the system will run
    we don't need to have this boat out to see what works, most any lipo will get the job done
    I will be using 40c packs in series and 20c packs in parallel
    First MiniSlash

RC Champion
    8cell Nimh packs would work great, that would be a 5cell lipo setup
    the thing with lipos is, they produce so much more constant amps over Nimh batteries
    Don't forget the typical weight saving as well

RC Qualifier
    OK, Ill probably go with the ******* packs. 3S 40C. Does it matter if its a soft or hard case? I am guessing i will need 2 traxxas high voltage ends, male or female? Whats the other smaller end for? Discharging? Will I need to change that end too? I am also thinking the Venom Pro charger plus or just the regular pro charger? Or the Dynamite passport ultra? Any help?

RC Qualifier
    ******* 5000MAH 40C 3SP1 for $48.19. Are those the ones I want? Do those have the capability to dischage/charge individual cells?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    venom packs are more than 2x the price of many other packs
    You can purchase a Venom 5000mah/2s pack for around $50. This is a great price since it includes a warranty and customer support. I would much rather pay that than 2/3's that price (by the time two packs are purchased) and have absolutely, guaranteed, no warranty and no support of any kind.
    no speculation about venom service! they are the worst in the hobby
    No, HK is the very worse in the industry!

So the "Venom going under" comment was just a speculative rumor on your part. Very sad, very sad indeed.
    Last edited by Jakey; 07-21-2010 at 08:49 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can purchase a Venom 5000mah/2s pack for around $50. This is a great price since it includes a warranty and customer support. I would much rather pay that than 2/3's that price (by the time two packs are purchased) and have absolutely, guaranteed, no warranty and no support of any kind.

No, HK is the very worse in the industry!

So the "Venom going under" comment was just a speculative rumor on your part. Very sad, very sad indeed.
    Wrong!
    venom cannot keep up with the real world
    everything they sell is imported and they put their stickers on it
    and 50bucks for a 20c venom pack when you can get a 40c pack from HK for only 26bucks!
    twice the power for 1/2 the price
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO
    Don't forget the typical weight saving as well
    you are correct
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wrong!
    venom cannot keep up with the real world
    everything they sell is imported and they put their stickers on it
    and 50bucks for a 20c venom pack when you can get a 40c pack from HK for only 26bucks!
    twice the power for 1/2 the price
    I am going to take a stand here; you are way out of line.
    First of all Venom supports LHS all around this country, which in turn supports the industry and hobby as a whole, so naturally their prices are going to be a little higher to allow a reasonable margin for them, their distributors and the LHS. What is wrong with that?

Second, Hobby City is directly subsidized by their government as part of a make work program. They are selling packs for less than the actual manufacturing costs. This information was relayed directly to me by LiPo factory reps, so it is not hearsay.

Third, Hobby City has very close to the worst, if not the worst customer service in the RC industry. They have virtually no useable warranty and the warranty that is there is worded in such a way as to eliminate most valid claims. This is fact and can be verified by viewing their website.

Lastly, your comment that "Venom is going under" is a mean spirited, spiteful, rumor-starting lie, plain and simple. A lie!!!

RC Competitor
    didn't read whole thread but for my $.02 I would recommend MaxAmps lipos as all their lipos are water sealed they can be expensive but lipos and water don't get along so having them sealed is a big plus in a boat I run these in all my cars and have had my slash 4x4 submerged in over a foot of water with no problem
    more power oh...oh...oh...oh...oh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the record, I am not endorsing any battery company, however I am responding to conjured up lies that have been posted by another.
    Last edited by Jakey; 07-21-2010 at 04:26 PM.

For the record, I am not endorsing any battery company, however I am responding to conjured up lies that have been posted by another.
    Noted and agreed with.

I'm closing this thread down now due to the arguing. I don't want to let this go on any longer. If you want to support your [not-so-great] battery company that takes away from the hobby, then go right ahead, filmmaker. But don't go bashing other companies and start saying that they're going out of business

To close... support your LHS!

-cooleo
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle