RC Qualifier

20C versus 30C or 40C or 50C Lipo

For practical purposes of playing around with my Stampede using a 3S 20C 5000 mah Lipo, is there any performance advantage in buying a 28C, or 35C or 50C , etc. continuous discharge battery compared to the 20C 3S batteries I currently use? I use 3S 20C SPC lipos , and notice they sell SMC lipos with the higher continuous discharge ratings. What's the practical difference?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im just going to go out on a limb here. I only own 20c lipos. But as I understand it, the higher C rating is only a factor in a system that requires more amps. A typical VXL or other similarly sized brushless system being run in a basher will not see a practical advantage to a higher C rated lipo. As I understand it, there would be a difference, but not in any huge way that would justify the extra cost. When I look at Venoms lipos for example, a 5000mah 2S hardcase thats 20C is $50, a 5000mah 2S hardcase thats 40 or 50 C is over $100... Id rather have 2 batteries and double the run time, than a bit more top speed or bottom end torque. If your a racer or a speed run type guy... or if your running a high current system that requires alot of amps... it may be worth it. For the rest of us, i just dont think its that big a deal.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Im just going to go out on a limb here. I only own 20c lipos. But as I understand it, the higher C rating is only a factor in a system that requires more amps. A typical VXL or other similarly sized brushless system being run in a basher will not see a practical advantage to a higher C rated lipo. As I understand it, there would be a difference, but not in any huge way that would justify the extra cost. When I look at Venoms lipos for example, a 5000mah 2S hardcase thats 20C is $50, a 5000mah 2S hardcase thats 40 or 50 C is over $100... Id rather have 2 batteries and double the run time, than a bit more top speed or bottom end torque. If your a racer or a speed run type guy... or if your running a high current system that requires alot of amps... it may be worth it. For the rest of us, i just dont think its that big a deal.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I suspected, and agree with your thinking.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Do the removable wires have any advantage. Or just a preferance
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    the c rating is basically how fast you lipo will give you its 11.1 volts of power. since you are just a basher you will most likely not need the higher c rating.
    as far as the removable wires, i believe they are just for ROAR spec racing. if i am totally wrong i am sure someone here will correct me.

RC Champion
    Let me preface this with this admonishment.. C rating is entirely arbitrary. There is no set standard of measure or test protocol for any cell manufacturer to follow in order to put a standardized C rating on their cells. The C rating for a given pack will ALWAYS be lower than the C rating of the individual cells that the pack is made of..

That all being said, you can't know if the C rating on your pack is for the cells, or the combined pack... there are no rules for companies to comply with...

C rating is only half of the equation. there is another part, which is capacity.

You CAN sacrifice one for the other, to a certain extent... Amperage at a particular C rating is directly related to the maH of the pack.

5000maH 20c = 100a rating
    4000maH 20c = 80a rating
    10000maH 20c = 200a rating

you see the pattern?

So, you can see that at certain capacities you can opt of reduced C rating.
    5000 20c = 100a
    8000 12c = 96a

virtually no difference in performance.

Now, on to your question... does it matter?? generally in 1/10 scale, no, it doesnt.. AS LONG AS your packs can supply enough current for the demands of the system. you wont get away with running a 1300mah 25c (32.5a) pack for very long in 1/10 scale, but it will be fine in say a 1/18 scale.

You should figure on being able to count on only getting 80% of a packs rated current... so that means, you need to have a pack that at 80% of rating can handle the REALISTIC loads for your electronics system. by that, I mean the VXL esc claims 320amps or some ridiculous number... so you would need a 256a capable battery.. those numbers are NOT quite real world figures.... IRL you may see spikes of 100a maybe a bit more.. but nothing sustained above about 60amps and on average about 5-6 amps.... so that means your average 20c 5000 pack at 80% or 80 amps can handle the draw of the vxl system with no problem but the 20c 4000 pack is closer to its limits.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks drfizz for the full story ill remember that for the next time this is brought up lol!