RC Qualifier

Red face plastic to metal gear swap out on 2075 serv

Just wanted to share pics, on a strange one... I was able to use the futaba rebuild kit for 3384 servo in the 2075 servo from Traxxas. strange thing happened, one kit went in without an issue, the 2nd servo did not work.(mine... figures mine did not work) It left close to an 1/8 in gap around the cap.

servo one... my friends, was a simple swap out. we are not sure if it will keep waterproof ( in terms of submerging), since he does this (waterproofing) in case of "wet grass/ morning dew. LOL LOL LOL

Anyway, here is a picture of the swap... not high quality cam

My broken gears pulled from servo:

NEW METAL GEARS!

If anyone knows why this happened please share... I think the older servos were a little larger/deeper but looking at them they look and measure about the same. ( hard to tell with ruler but using a digital level the metal gears are a teeny, tiny, bit taller)
    Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. Several months back I used a TRX servo with Futaba S3305 gears with decent sucess. Still working good?
    TEAM RCA
    VXL 3S Venom Powered Monster Pede.

RC poster
    Hey lopez, would you mind posting your pics again? for some odd reason they do not show up, in particular the metal gear pictures. By the way, have you still had much success with this setup?

RC Qualifier
    i believe the mods blocked the pictures because they weren't traxxas related products being shown
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dominickgallegos View Post
    Hey lopez, would you mind posting your pics again? for some odd reason they do not show up, in particular the metal gear pictures. By the way, have you still had much success with this setup?

Not a problem, sorry for the delay, I have not been in the stampede postings... I am working on a project with my summit and I think so far it has great potential... just need to work out some kinks....

anyway, are some reposting of the pics... I dont think the mods blocked it but I know a lot of my pics went blank after they updated the forum.

Just to answer some questions, I was able to fit the metal gears in my case with a little grinding on the metal gears when we put it on a micrometer it was larger than the same gear set my friend had... sorry I don't remember the difference.

I would take new pictures but my pede went under a 54" ridding mower and I lost a lot of parts in the long run ( link to that)... anyway, on my buddy set simple swap out and it worked until her sold his Bandit RC.

Keep in mind if you change to metal gears you need to change your servo saver, the stock one wont work for long with the metal gears... the spring inside goes bad for some reason... I went throough 2 stock servo savers then changed and never had a problem.

Upgraded Servo saver ( worked great with metal, kept breaking the plastic gears)

futaba rebuild kit 3384
    Old image from website: ( click to web page)

<<> Installed images - Again sorry for image quality pics taken with cell <<>>

Original Busted plastic set

Good luck with it... I hope it happens like my buddy's... a simple swap out... I will be trying this again soon on my summit since it uses 2 of the same servos, I will try to post better pics. or maybe even a how to vid...
    Last edited by mdlopez1; 03-23-2011 at 09:38 PM.

RC poster
    Hey lopez ~ thanks for taking the time to upload the pics....very nice! Do you think it is worth it to do this mod or buy different servos and just waterproof as necessary.

RC Qualifier
    looks like it was made for it! yeah the plastic saver wears out quickly i've gone through 2 already and just need to go for a nicer one, where did you pick that one up?
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders125 View Post
    looks like it was made for it! yeah the plastic saver wears out quickly i've gone through 2 already and just need to go for a nicer one, where did you pick that one up?
    My LHS had it in stock, Its a heavy Duty RC-one Alloy servo saver for metal gearing.... I looked online and could not find it... all the ones I saw that I think was it was stating discontinued....

What I have is: RC One Heavy Duty Blue Servo Saver For Futaba

Use only with metal gears... Its to "stiff" for plastic gears and breaks the gear nub it connects to...

RC Qualifier
    ahhh ok well thanks for letting me know
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dominickgallegos View Post
    Hey lopez ~ thanks for taking the time to upload the pics....very nice! Do you think it is worth it to do this mod or buy different servos and just waterproof as necessary.
    if your servo is in new to good shape the upgrade to metal gears is great... using it with Traxxas servo keeps it "waterproof" and easy to repair and maintain if needed. My LHS had them for under $20 which was cheaper than a new metal gear (non waterproof) servo.

if your servo is old or dieing, check online you may get a better (stronger/oz) servo online and save more $... to waterproof with plasti-dip is easy.

remember to fix a servo after its been plasti-dipped takes more time and work to fix... then you need to re-plasti-dip... and again the more plasti-dip you add the larger the servo/part becomes making harder to fit back into limited spaces.

At time when I got it I could get it on eBay (maybe it was craigslist) for about 10-12 dollars... the only reason I dont do a lot of online shopping is my LHS offers me great pricing/discounts since I do so much business with them buying things for all my crazy concepts...

Good luck, hope this helps out...

RC Champion
    Thanks for this tip I cross linked it to the revo section.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Thanks for this tip I cross linked it to the revo section.
    FYI the gear that was bigger was the Gold and silver 3 tiered one on the right side of the picture.... all the others were a perfect fit, that one (on my set) was longer and I had to grind it down to fit in my traxxas servo case....

Good luck and thanks for speading the word... this is a simple and effective upgrade.