RC Champion

Motor Temp and Outside tempatures

Dose the tempature out side have any effect on motor temps.(VXL) I just came in. About 40 outside from running my pede and motor temp was 96.7, ESC was 69.3 Battery(7c 8.4v} was 86.4 .Will the temps change much when the weather get hotter outside. I'am running 19t pinion and 90t spur.Just woundering because by these temps i should be able to go up on the pinion gear with no heat issues.

RC Qualifier
    yes those temps will nearly double when it gets to warmer. but for now you can gear up ooo i don't know 4-5 teeth on the pinion to start with. those temps are very low. I just have to mention, you know not to get the motor or esc above 200*f right

RC Champion
    Yes i know about 200* The dreadedend told me about the 200*mark.Temps will double when it get hotter outside that stinks() so i should gear down when hotter outside?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Snowfighter, as long as your drive train is kept up with and smooth, you gonna be fine with that set of gears. Just keep her well maintained to insure their isn't any added resistance. If you do see temps climbing to high for you comfort, I highly doubt you'll go lower than a 18 tooth.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

If you see 200 on the motor, from that moment on, its down hill. On my combo, I won't cross the 160 mark. The temp in the center will likely be much higher than your temp gun is reading. For my esc, if i'm touching on 130's its time for a fan. Then maybe after, if I can't hold 120-125, gears gotta change!. That's just my way of doing things.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.

RC Champion
    Hey Dread i have a fan on my ECS So when it gets warmer outside try to stay around 160*.Gearing down is going to stink i like the speed i got right now.I hit a small lip on a left hand turn wide open and my Pede got little air the end over end for about 5 times then hit the snowbank on the otherside of the road up side down. I will try an 18t pinion when it get alittle warm out see what happens looking for that 160 ish mark

While it does vary, The ambient temp will raise your temp the same. So if you are running in a 90* ambient, your temps will be 50* higher then they are now at 40. But if your electronics are in a limited air flow spot, it could be less.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

Their is still more options! You can add heatsink and fans to the motor, and it is affective but limited to maybe 15-20 drop. If you wanna spend a few bucks, well more than a few, you can go with an alloy tranny case. That alone can drop your motor temp drastically. I dropped a steady 30 with an alloy case. Back that with a sink and fan unit, and you have one cool motor!

RC Champion
    So if that works like that I should be around 150* with the gear set up i got now. Like Dread said maybe drop to 18t pinion or what about going up on the spur to a 91t and 19 t pinion

RC Champion
    where do you find a heat sink for the Velineon? I can not find one. Allyo tranny where do you get one of those?

I just want to say now, before you drop a bunch of money on trying to cool a middle of the road motor, there are higher quality options that will run just fine. If you played your cards just right, you could upgrade from a VXL system, to a SCT 3800 for next to nothing, or a MMP 3800 combo for around 30-40 bucks. That's less then a tranny case, in some cases.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Dose the ESC3800 run cooler.I know it is a 4 pole motor.My VXL only has 3 packs though it with an ESC fan.Maybe sell it for 120 shipped?
    Last edited by snowfighter; 03-23-2011 at 06:22 PM.

^^^^ THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO... OH WAIT A SEC... I AM WAITING ON ONE ALREADY AHAHAHA HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!! couple a weeks and its go time, ya baby

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=thedreadedend;4738777]^^^^ THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO... OH WAIT A SEC... I AM WAITING ON ONE ALREADY AHAHAHA HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!! couple a weeks and its go time, ya baby[/QUOTE OOOOOPPS ESC

RC Qualifier
    speaking of temperatures what temperature gauges does everyone use? i'm in need of one sorry to pull yall out of yalls conversation but i thought asking here would be better than opening a new thread
    Last edited by flanders125; 03-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    I have the DuraTrax Flash Point. Got it about a week ago used for the first time today.Thats why i asked about temps.

RC Qualifier
    o ok awesome, how did you like it? thats the one i was looking at.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    I like it. Got it on e-bay for 19.99 +shipping Easy to use reads temps from -27* to +428 F Battery life 40 hrs.,small light weight, Can set for fahrenheit or celsius

RC Qualifier
    sounds like a good deal i'll definitely have to get it. thanks
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

Dose the ESC3800 run cooler.I know it is a 4 pole motor.My VXL only has 3 packs though it with an ESC fan.Maybe sell it for 120 shipped?
    Yes the 3800 will run cooler. The SV2 esc might not run cooler then a VXL with a fan, but there shouldn't be any heat problems with a 3800, unless you're just being silly.

Here's what I was thinking, let's keep it realistic . Sell a used VXL system for $90 shipped, gives you $85. The 3800 combo is $90 shipped. So you're out 5. Buy a 2400 sct combo with MMP for 165. Sell the 2400 new, for $95 shipped, your out $75 for MMP, total of $80. Sell the SV2 new for $45 shipped cut's it to 40. So a VXL system, and 40 bucks for a 3800 MMP. I think that might be doable.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Bingo! thats exatly what I just did

RC Champion
    Thank you all for your input I think iam sticking with the VXL 19 90 gear set up for now

RC Qualifier
    hows that run heat wise? I've been thinking that ratio as well but my lhs ran out of 90 spurs and i haven't been able to try it yet.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    Yesterdays temps. Battery 86.4, motor was 96.7 and esc was 69.3 I do have a fan on the ESC. Try ebay for the spur

RC Qualifier
    o wow thats great. which batteries were you running. i still need to get a dang esc fan haha
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    I was running the Traxxas 7c 8.4.That why i started this thread to see if temps change when the weather get hotter.I was hopeing the temps would stay close to the same when it hotter outside.Ithink i might have to drop a tooth or 2 on the pinion we will see.

RC Qualifier
    yeah in texas i will definitely have to watch the temps since it gets pretty humid here just need to pick up a temp gun to make sure i don't break anything.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders125 View Post
    yeah in texas i will definitely have to watch the temps since it gets pretty humid here just need to pick up a temp gun to make sure i don't break anything.
    DuraTrax FlashPoint

RC Qualifier
    yeah thats what i was thinking
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    I have one and reaily like it

RC Qualifier
    yeah they're a great thing to have and keeps you from messing up your electrics lol
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL