RC Champion

Dirty tire foam / Tire glueing tips

Hi all,

You may remember that I noticed recently that my stock front left tire has come partially unglued on the inside... don't have the glue yet but have a trip to the LHS booked later this week.

Upon further inspection today I noticed that the foam is dirty on the inside, apparently I didn't notice it fast enough. I don't really want to remove the tire completely, is it okay to leave some dirt in there or nay? If not how do I clean it?

Tire glueing tips are very needed too, as this will be my first (of many) times.

Thanks, AMP
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    As long as it's not much, I wouldn't worry about it. You don't even really need to go to the LHS. Just go to the closest store that has super glue and use that. For a little repair, it'll work just fine.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    if its just a bit of "clean" dirt then no sweat. if it's wet or oily or muddy then you need to clean or replace it or you risk the foam shredding due to being out of balance.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the replies, and Turbowop I was under the impression that specific tire glue must be used, good to know otherwise.

As for the dirt it is actually sand... not like sand dunes sand but kind of moist dark sand. Should I prop it open and leave it in the sun tomorrow to dry it?

RC Qualifier
    Tire glue is basically just CA, or superglue.

Back in the old days (lol), we didn't have specific tire glue. It's basically the same stuff, although I think the new stuff is better formulated for gluing RC tires and probably holds better. That's why I say since it's just a small repair, superglue should work just fine. If you were doing a full set of new tires, I'd use something specific like Losi tire glue.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    Tire glue is basically just CA, or superglue.

Back in the old days (lol), we didn't have specific tire glue. It's basically the same stuff, although I think the new stuff is better formulated for gluing RC tires and probably holds better. That's why I say since it's just a small repair, superglue should work just fine. If you were doing a full set of new tires, I'd use something specific like Losi tire glue.
    That's what I was looking at but not sure if the LHS has it. I may get it just because I will likely use it in the future...
    Now that I've looked at the gap it has gotten bigger to almost halfway around the inside of the wheel But there only seems to be a bit of sand, with what was said in the above posts I don't think it will be a problem

RC Qualifier
    let it dry, get out what you can (vacuume maybe?)

RC Qualifier
    I always have great results with the Lock Tite brand of super glue, never had a tire come off yet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by markturbo
    I always have great results with the Lock Tite brand of super glue, never had a tire come off yet.
    I have some of this, I will give it a shot later tonight...

RC Qualifier
    That's good to know as I'm having similar issues. Anyone use Gorilla glue?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Gorilla glue has pretty much failed for every RC use I've tried... I believe it's mainly for wood

This is what I have been using for the last couple of years, and it works very well. I also like the fact that it is available locally!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    I have family at Walmart tonight, they will try to find some Lock Tite.

Otherwise I have some "Original Super Glue" here, directions say it works best on non porus surfaces such as metal, rubber, and plastic. It says you have to hold it on for only 15 seconds, "bonds instantly." Should I do the whole gap at once or little parts at a time?

RC Qualifier
    Just run some around the inside of the bead real quick. I'm sure it'll hold just fine.

RC Champion
    Sorry, been meaning to update for days, lol. The loctite worked great, yes that's how it's spelled for those of you keeping track at home

It worked perfect, thanks a lot guys you saved me about 10 bucks

RC Champion
    Does your foam and dirt cause the wheel to hop? Reason I ask is I obviously have a wheel hoping like mad. Stub and running gear is good, switched tires same tire. Had it in the wet silty clay last time, and I have the holes drilled in my tires to shed water.

Second question, the manual recommended the drilling of holes, should I do it to new wheels as well or leave them sealed?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallguy905
    Does your foam and dirt cause the wheel to hop? Reason I ask is I obviously have a wheel hoping like mad. Stub and running gear is good, switched tires same tire. Had it in the wet silty clay last time, and I have the holes drilled in my tires to shed water.

Second question, the manual recommended the drilling of holes, should I do it to new wheels as well or leave them sealed?
    I did not notice any hopping, I noticed it ballooning majorly over jumps. Did you feel around that tire to see if there is any place where it is peeling from the wheel or feel around for something inside? Does it seem to be shaped oddly?

Second I don't poke holes because I generally don't run in too bad of water... if you run in water often yes I'd say poke them in the new tires too... but not too much