Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Rant

RC Qualifier

My Rant

Ok so I come here to get knowledge and to share knowledge in this wonderful hobby of ours and I keep reading posts from either new people or even long time posters that ask a ? and the very next answer is "do a search" or "if you search you will find a answer".Yes this is all true BUT I am pretty sure most people do searches on their own for questions they may have ahead of time, but that may result in not getting the answer they are looking for. If you are one to give a answer to a question with one of the above answers, in the time it took to say that could you have either not answered it due to not having any experience in that area or said "I do this .............". So all it takes is for one person to answer their ? to what they want and it is all done, or it may even spark up a new idea from others. All the info from posters is personal preferences and personal exp. and what kind of driving style people are doing to get the results they are looking for. This is a forum for ?'s to be asked, so I say ask it. If no one asked ?'s then this forum would die off quickly especially if all you had to do was "search". By asking the same ? over and over again will always net some sort of different opinion from possibly someone new. It looks like to me that 90% of questions asked on here have been answered before in one way or another over the years. So why do we keep asking ?'s, it is so we may get a new answer. It does not take a ton of time to answer a simple ? or give your opinion to something asked. That is why we are all here right? To get information from each other. I see a lot of people replying this way and it seems like someone just wasted their time in asking this ? and wasted bandwith. My ? to you whom this applies is "then why did you initially read the question?" was it because you were looking to get an answer for yourself?, because you odviously were not looking to help out with your opinion, but yet you took the time to type "just search".
    So to end my rant, either post a quick reply pertinent to the question or just simply do not answer it if all you are going to say is "do a search and you will find it". If you typed "I use these ....." you would have actually said and typed less words and givin the poster some ideas.

Just my Rant
    Or maybe I just slept bad last night. Who knows

RC Qualifier
    Spoonfeeding answers to questions that have been asked over and over again just supports the lazy. At some point you need to lose the training wheels.

When the discussion subject is new and fresh it's okay to ask questions, but they get old after answering them constantly. Between here, other forums, and Google the info is all at you fingertips, and probably quicker than starting a new thread.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

I cant think of many questions that have not been asked before, the hobby has been around for a long time. True there are new things and advances that bring up new topics but I believe that it is also true that if we eliminate any question that has already been asked the forum will die due to lack of traffic.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    The answers are in the threads already. Old answers, new answers, same answers, different answers. Opinions on what is good or bad, what works or what doesn't has already been hashed out...

If people TAKE THE TIME TO READ a few threads, they'll not only find answers to their questions, but a wealth of knowledge surrounding their question as well.

Of course this depends on the "level" of question.

- Is the slash 4x4 awesome?

is going to get a different answer than

- What's your setup for a xxxxxxxxx type of track

or (especially) questions about batteries. Noone likes to do someone else's homework.

Sometimes we need a quick answer, I get that. Sometimes we don't want to wade through pages of threads to find what we want. I get that.

Refine searches, or ask members for specific threads that helped answer a similar question. Don't be afraid to say " i searched and couldn't find it."

BTW - this has all been covered before, if you would have just searched......

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shimey

Nice one

RC Qualifier
    just bing it!
    slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I agree with your rant rjames. I have been in this for 1 year now and have so much to learn and questions to ask, but I too have gotten the "try doing a search" answer. What was that saying.... "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". If you don't have any input, don't answer and the thread will die off and fall to the bottom making room for the questions and threads more people are interested in. But the more " just try searching first" answers there are the longer these topics stay on top and annoy those of you who told them to "go search". BTW, I do search.

my 2 cents
    Last edited by Armor11; 06-22-2010 at 12:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've done searches and not gotten the specific answers I was looking for. I can appreciate both sides of this coin, but in the end, if you don't want to reply, simply don't
    Censorship is wrong

Anytime anyone asks me a question that has been asked before I answer it and then show them the link to the "Advanced Search" which works tons better in narrowing your search down.....

It's called being informative and instructive at the same time instead of coming back with a negative reply. The regular search bounces back way too much stuff to sift through. The "Advanced Search" works 100 times better.

http://monster.traxxas.com/search.php
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    I guess if anything I reply with "search" just to see peoples' panties get twisted because they were told to do work rather than given the answer. It's entertaining. Even better is when somebody starts a huge thread about it.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    My issue is on the repeditive threads that literaly are answered on the SAME page as the next question, like "what gearing should i use" "how do I change to 32 Pitch", "whats a lipo" or "what tires should i use".. thoes threads barely ever fall off the first page, and then along comes someone who couldnt even scroll down asking the same thing..

Ive used the search tool for a lot of my stuff, and for the most part is is crap :P So i can understand if someone is asking about something that was on here 6 months ago and burried in long lost threads.. that doesnt bother me at all..

While were on things that annoy us, another for me is people who post thier STOCK OUT OF THE BOX Slash in the pics forum :P I get it that you just got your slash, but at least post when you did something other then take it out of the box We all know what thoes look like! we wanna see what you DO with it!
    Last edited by Telnets; 06-22-2010 at 12:56 PM.

RC Racer
    I to have searched and not found the answer that I was looking for. Maybe some people feel a little GOD complex coming over them when they type in "do a search". There are no dumb questions or at least that's what I've always been told. Why not help a fellow hobbyists out? If you know the answer or the link to the answer wouldn't it be more beneficial to just post it. Why would you waste your time to type "do a search", if you already know it? Or know it all. I know this is just a rant or a vent. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    Even better is when somebody starts a huge thread about it.
    Ouchy Ouchy
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I agree rjames

RC Qualifier
    So I typed in "Rant" in the search bar and came across this thread. Ironic don't you think? Anybody want to see my new Slash that just came out of the box?
    assembled in Tawain, hopped up in America

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rjames
    Ok so I come here to get knowledge and to share knowledge in this wonderful hobby of ours and I keep reading posts from either new people or even long time posters that ask a ? and the very next answer is "do a search" or "if you search you will find a answer".Yes this is all true BUT I am pretty sure most people do searches on their own for questions they may have ahead of time, but that may result in not getting the answer they are looking for. If you are one to give a answer to a question with one of the above answers, in the time it took to say that could you have either not answered it due to not having any experience in that area or said "I do this .............". So all it takes is for one person to answer their ? to what they want and it is all done, or it may even spark up a new idea from others. All the info from posters is personal preferences and personal exp. and what kind of driving style people are doing to get the results they are looking for. This is a forum for ?'s to be asked, so I say ask it. If no one asked ?'s then this forum would die off quickly especially if all you had to do was "search". By asking the same ? over and over again will always net some sort of different opinion from possibly someone new. It looks like to me that 90% of questions asked on here have been answered before in one way or another over the years. So why do we keep asking ?'s, it is so we may get a new answer. It does not take a ton of time to answer a simple ? or give your opinion to something asked. That is why we are all here right? To get information from each other. I see a lot of people replying this way and it seems like someone just wasted their time in asking this ? and wasted bandwith. My ? to you whom this applies is "then why did you initially read the question?" was it because you were looking to get an answer for yourself?, because you odviously were not looking to help out with your opinion, but yet you took the time to type "just search".
    So to end my rant, either post a quick reply pertinent to the question or just simply do not answer it if all you are going to say is "do a search and you will find it". If you typed "I use these ....." you would have actually said and typed less words and givin the poster some ideas.

Just my Rant
    Or maybe I just slept bad last night. Who knows

yeah doing a search will get you an answer but if you don't understand the answer then doing a search wont help and may be people are looking for more updated info and or opinions and a search cant do that.

Its called being a good neighbor even tho you may not live close to one and other you can still help out instead of being like the grumpy old man and saying "do a search". if you want to be like a grumpy old man then just don't post if no one answers then it will force them to do a search and it will keep the forum a little more civil

i have a solution that my be good how about a wiki for faqs, what do you say traxxas how about a wiki
    Revo2.5 (Mod 2 Slayer) MT2 G3.0, Creeper, Slash4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shimey
    this truly made me LOL
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    1. Newbies keep the hobby going, and this new revenue pushes RC companies to keep coming out with new and better stuff. Helping a newb is helping yourself in the long run.

2. I totally get the repetition thing, but why not just ignore the thread? Taking the time to reply, especially to insult, doesn't make sense. You're just wasting even more of your time that way.

RC Qualifier
    See here is my bad as I did not do a correct search and did not find what I was looking for so I posted this if you have not seen it yet.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=526034

So I try to do searches also but sometimes others did not ask the ? I wanted to ask so I will ask in my way, in turn helps me understand in my own terms.
    Last edited by rjames; 06-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.

RC Champion
    i have only said to search 1 maybe 2 times. and the only reason i said that was because there were at least 3 threads like it within the first 2 pages.

if it hasnt been asked in a few days its just rude to say search. in the time it takes to write that you could have answer the question.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    Spoonfeeding answers to questions that have been asked over and over again just supports the lazy. At some point you need to lose the training wheels.

When the discussion subject is new and fresh it's okay to ask questions, but they get old after answering them constantly. Between here, other forums, and Google the info is all at you fingertips, and probably quicker than starting a new thread.

I am great at searching for my own answers, EXCEPT for two things in this hobby.

I am a n00b, and do not know the correct terminology for everything yet, especially when people call the same thing 3 different things.

For instance, I have the MSV, part number 7034 is referred to in the parts list as Axle Carrier, However, on the forums they are usually called Knuckles. I have seen them called over things as well.

The other thing that is sorely lacking that would help noobs like me out is explanations or links to guides rather than straight up answers.

Unfortunately most google searches about WHY usually end up leading to forum "answers" that are not very helpful at all. They just tell you what not why. That is just giving a man a fish.

Stickies for lexicons, and guides about how RC cars work would be awesome. Also the forum is not setup ideally. Why is there not a brushless forum or a brushed forum or a nimh forum or a lipo forum. Surely information in the Maxx forum could pertain to slash 4x4 as well. Especially since so many guys hybridize their rides.

I am not poopooing the idea that people do their own research. Far from it. Just trying to explain the flip side of the coin.

EDIT: Just noticed the wiki idea... not bad, although it can be handled just as easily within the forums with a sticky post with links to INFORMATIVE threads about XXX and YYY. A single sticky could handle 100 links or more !
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 06-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    I totally agree with Mr. James. Hey don't type anything if all you can do is type "Search". I myself was looking for info on sway bars and didn't find anything helpful after doing a search.

can't we all just get along?

RC Racer
    Ok, I couldn't help it. I have a split opinion on this. First, read all you can until your eyes bleed. Then search for a specific issue. However, new solutions to problems and new ideas for current and old problems are thought up daily. I'm not going to be afraid to ask even if I "think" I found the answer, an updated answer might have been found or invented 20 minutes ago.
    Caution, this message contains words.

RC Champion
    Rjames I like how you stated your view! As a noob I have done the advanced search and at times got blah blah that did not even come close to answering my ? I always search before I post. But at times I wonder what others are doing. When I joined this forum at first, I never noticed the search or advanced search feature. But I do think that some peeps here spend too much time behind thier keyboard for a lack of social skillz!!!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    I am a n00b, and do not know the correct terminology for everything yet, especially when people call the same thing 3 different things.

[...]

Stickies for lexicons, and guides about how RC cars work would be awesome.
    Great points Neuro. Actually, you can throw misspellings into the mix. I, like an idiot, misspelled "acronym" so my lexicon thread may not be as easy to find.

Also, in my lexicon, I was told to search because there was already another lexicon in another forum! The irony!

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...light=acronymn

I am FAR more annoyed by the "do a searchers" than the noob questions that have been answered 10,000 times. Of course the "do a searchers" already know this since I have posted it before. It's part of being a noob and I don't really like the search function either so ask your question. I am considering adding "do a search" to the swear filter so that I can give points till the "do a searchers" are banned. (It should take about 20 minutes). When they complain I can tell them I made this post and if they had only done a search, like they post all they time, they would have known not to post "do a search". Pretty compelling logic isn't it? All I have to do now is post any random thing anywhere on the board and I can give points for it! This makes me VERY happy so thanks guys! Since you have already searched, you know beyond any shadow of any doubt that if the Chicken ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy! Do a search and read all of my posts before replying so you know what not to say.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    I am NOT new to this hobby (but newer to the fourm)and even newer to the 4x4 Slash. I have more years in this hobby then some of these people have on this planet....

But like said above "but that may result in not getting the answer they are looking for." I try to search and, I read read and read some more but dont come up with the answer Im going to ask the question.... I like all the info that is out there and enjoy learinging it. BUT if it doesnt answer the question then it doesnt.

I understand that it becomes annoying, the same question over and over and over, but instead of saying "do a search" go and push them into the right direction (by giving them a thread to read) or just dont answer them. Instead of getting flamed for not doing a search, I have gone through all 50 odd pages of a fourm before.... It wasnt fun!
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Champion
    How about the posters that use symbols and punctuation to avoid using a word they don't know how to spell.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob
    How about the posters that use symbols and punctuation to avoid using a word they don't know how to spell.
    Question.... This is the right way to spell ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I love repeated questions, just adds to my post count, and heck if I need answers to answer your question I just use the search option.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    I have never given that response and try to answer as best as I can. Yes, sometimes it's a simple question that has been covered but a lot of times you need to work with the person asking to find out what that person is actually doing that prompted the question.

I would guess the most popular topic is gearing or how to gear something and there isn't a single correct answer as it is dependent on how and where the truck is being run...

Yes repeated questions do get old and some can be answered with a search but I agree that it takes almost as long to say "use the search function" as it does to answer the question.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    You heard it from the king clucker................. search or don't search, just don't tell me to do it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National
    I love repeated questions, just adds to my post count, and heck if I need answers to answer your question I just use the search option.
    Whats the pay on the high post count these days?

RC Champion
    In rjames defense.. I have searched for post that I MYSELF have posted and the search engine comes up with nothing. Example.. I have several posts in threads about the Kershaw 9L. If I do a search and type " 9 " or " 9L " NOTHING is found.. How can this be ??? The thread I am looking for DOES have 9L in the title. I don't know how to do it,, maybe its easy, maybe its hard,, but someone must be able to enhance the search feature so when a new guy (which was me just 6 months ago) can type Lipo charging and actually get all the posts about Lipo Charging, Not a message that says " Nothing Found".. When we all know there are a bizzzz-illllion threads about lipos.

My rant I guess..
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    my opinion, I have been around RC for a long time, the search function is terrible, you gotta read through a thousand posts before you may find your answer, I have a decent amount of knowledge and have no problem helping out no matter what question a noob may have. I have to agree with phlegm, turbowop is full of useful info, and has helped many people, but i do gotta say, most threads i read with him in it are just negative, always acts like hes right and everybody else sucks, dude, this is about toy cars, its a hobby, its for fun, no need for the negativity, like I said, he is pretty knowledgeable, but I'm sure he will have more negative things to say, especially after reading this

RC Champion
    I agree with rjames, keithy4129 and nitro chicken. This is something I have been annoyed with since I joined. Does it really help anybody to say do a search? If you have enough time to read a bunch of threads and know that that question has been asked a bunch of times, then you have enough time to answer the question.
    Thanks james for bringing this up, it should be repeated in the alley IMO.
    Last edited by SirSlash4x4; 06-22-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    In rjames defense.. I have searched for post that I MYSELF have posted and the search engine comes up with nothing. Example.. I have several posts in threads about the Kershaw 9L. If I do a search and type " 9 " or " 9L " NOTHING is found.. How can this be ??? The thread I am looking for DOES have 9L in the title. I don't know how to do it,, maybe its easy, maybe its hard,, but someone must be able to enhance the search feature so when a new guy (which was me just 6 months ago) can type Lipo charging and actually get all the posts about Lipo Charging, Not a message that says " Nothing Found".. When we all know there are a bizzzz-illllion threads about lipos.

My rant I guess..
    That is the flaw of the search system. It doesn't search for words in the title. If you remember part of the title but can't find the thread, well, the search isn't going to do you any good.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    ... has anyone seen my keys ...

Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    When I was 1st interested in Traxxas Slash 4x4 trucks I came upon this forum and probably asked a few repetive questions, even asked a few that seem very obvious now.

I Can say that everyone that has replied has done so with good intentions and wanted to help. The more people that reply the better as you get a broader scope on how these rc's can be used.

Now that I'm into the sport for 4 months and 3 trucks later, really still a junior at it. I really dont mind helping others by posting. I'd rather repidivetly respond with the same answers to newcomers than them to have a problem from no help, and say I new that would happen.

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

Just a reminder guys - personal attacks are not allowed. If you need to argue and call names, take it outside... these forums.