Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!

New pede project...

Well I snagged this off of E-bay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    Pretty good deal. Not exactly sure where I want to go with it, but will start with my $5 extension. I want something a little different. Any suggestions?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    Looks like you got a great deal on that one.

Yep, nice deal. A little different huh, how about a midtranny setup. I don't think I've seen one in a Pede.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    will start with my $5 extension.
    What is that?

My suggestion is to make it the manliest 2wd truck ever. 17mm hubs and massive meats. Stretch the width, stretch the wheelbase, lift it sky high. Run a Maxx or similar body.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Nice deal. That will make a nice project truck. What to do with it? Lets see what options there are:

Speed pede
    4x4 pede
    6x6 pede
    Lowrider pede
    Highrider
    Blinger pede
    Mud pede (This one is in my future i hope)
    ???

Or like asheck said, a mid tranny pede. Yeah, that would be the start of something big!! You'd get my attention, thats for sure. Let us know where you go with this.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

Mid tranny pede... Hmmmmm!

In truth, I have thought of that in the past, but just dismissed the thought.

I have just rented a spot for my rc workshop (needs some work to make it usable), and this would be a good christening project!

Great idea, glad I started this thread. I would not have revisited the idea.
    Let me get the truck (seller just shipped yesterday with slooowww mail) and I will try to get some pics up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Do a race pede. Wider, lower, LCG etc. Id love to see that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    What is that?

My suggestion is to make it the manliest 2wd truck ever. 17mm hubs and massive meats. Stretch the width, stretch the wheelbase, lift it sky high. Run a Maxx or similar body.
    The $5 chassis extension ~PICS~ redo.

As far as the "Mega Big Pede" route, I am not so sure that Is where I want to go.
    I will have to put together a list of goals for this project after I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Do a race pede. Wider, lower, LCG etc. Id love to see that.
    This just may tie in, but I think "TheJANG" already covered most of that.
    I do not want a lcg chassis. I want it to kind of stick to its roots... with a twist.

Well, went through my motor pile, and found 2 almost new Trinity mod motors from my e-savage. These motors would push the e-sav past 30 on the stock nimh's. Mounted one into my slash mt with (2) 2s packs and the stock e-sav esc and everything works great. Was pretty fast. I may have to pick up a 4s pack for this. 4s LVA will be need for it though. I have never needed one, so where do I get one? From HCITY?.

I also think I can run the motor with reverse timing to solve the reverse trans issue.

Also just purchased a used 2.4 tq (not a link) radio to dedicate to this project.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-18-2010 at 11:46 AM.

4s LVA will be need for it though. I have never needed one, so where do I get one? From HCITY?.
    They're easy to find, but here are a few:
    http://maxamps.com/proddetail.php?pr...LVA&review=add
    http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html
    http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/vo...14-p-2541.html
    http://www.chargery.com/cellSaver.asp
    Last edited by TAT2; 06-18-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    99%er

So whats the project? Im curious. I just got a roller as well and have no idea what im going to do with it. Im trying to find a cheap brushless setup to throw in it but so far am coming up short.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

so far its...
    mid engine hv brushed.
    If I can pull off mid engine, I dont know.
    I need about 5 more hours in each day lol.

:LOL: So many mods, so little time... I feel your pain. I can't wait to see how this turns out. My wife officially hates you for giving me ideas.
    99%er

Don't hate the playa, hate the game lol.

Ok, good news is, the pede is in 99% condition.
    Bad news is, its the plastic geared 1st gen xl5 with 5x8 bushings.
    Also threw in steel gears and my sidewinder 4600 combo and fried it within 10 min geared 12/58. The motor temped at 237 and the esc at 252. Don't know what happened. Guess I will contact castle and see if they have a replacement policy like traxxas. I am done using that combo in anything bigger or heavier than a rusty.

Ok, have finally picked a direction- Mid engine modified offset oval pede.
    By modified offset, I mean using longer arms/sus components/ wheel extensions or 17mm adapters/ positive offset rims on the right side, and shorter components on the left (I have many options in my spare parts).
    The goal is to move the center of gravity to the left (chassis) and center(motor). Bear with me, I will have step by step pics when my workspace and details are worked out. I have wasted too much cash in the past jumping in head first without planning.
    I will be using my hr alum trans. I can cut down the motor plate so that I can cut less of the (stock) chassis, so that the only part of the trans that will be up inside the chassis is the top of the trans and spur gear.
    The squat issue can be handled easily by switching the hr suspension mounts and using nitro rusty squat shims.
    I am unsure about 2 things so far: the rear skid (may have to be hand made) and battery configuration. I am brainstorming the issue.

RC Competitor
    That's a cool idea. Offset all the heavy stuff, could you use longer shocks on one side to shift the weight even more.

I like the fact that you are going for something that is new and fresh plus it will be a good challenge. Kudos to you!

RC Champion
    heres my late model pede i did a year or so ago, it came out pretty good and wasnt all that uncompetative either. podiumed atleast a few times against t4's and xxx-ts with the same sort of setup

http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3475&page=8

the best way to get a good turning car on oval is to put presure either through preload spacers, springs, oil, etc on the front left and back right (looking from the back)

edit: as far as offset goes most offroad 1/10th oval cars dont go fast enough to feel the effects of offset arms unless its a very hard packed track or asphalt/ "street" track and the weight is heavily offset. i did it to my eagle for my tracks "bomber" class and didnt really notice it. and even my srt which normaly runs a very hot setup as both a latemodel body and as an open wheel setup will not be heavily influenced by the balance transfer. most of your setup is going to come down to body roll, camber & toe, and suspension setup
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 06-22-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    Nice deal. That will make a nice project truck. What to do with it? Lets see what options there are:

Speed pede
    4x4 pede
    6x6 pede
    Lowrider pede
    Highrider
    Blinger pede
    Mud pede (This one is in my future i hope)
    ???

Or like asheck said, a mid tranny pede. Yeah, that would be the start of something big!! You'd get my attention, thats for sure. Let us know where you go with this.

That is something I want to do! Extend the chassis and midmount the motor. Could get a lot more power going to the rear with reduced wheelies.

I tried to click on the link, but I got a banned IP address message. I guess RC Driver doesn't like Pittsburgh's free wi-fi?

RC Champion
    well few ppl do so jk

heres a few pics i dredged up from photo bucket, the one thing id does not show is the t4 ft shocks i rigged up although the plastic ultras worked pretty good on there own. this car was beat by the time i got to this project, 8 years of constant rc'ing and it shows in the pics

Last edited by SRTracer121; 06-23-2010 at 08:03 AM.

I am assuming that body is 1/8th scale.
    Wonder how a sprint pede would look.
    Hmm...

RC Champion
    its a custom made body (just a tad smaller than the losi and ofna 1/8th lm bodies but yes, 1/8th will work, a lot of ppl are doing it to their slashes and sc trucks

guy at our track:

sprinter would be cool but that would be hard as hexk to get running right, youd have to make it 1/8th as well like the onfa sprinter since a 1/10th sprinter is tiny (like the rustler can crush it, tiny)

im working on a trx3 sprinter myself so if you do go after it you gotta keep me posted. also, a lot of tracks run a indipendent rear suspension only sprinter class since a mojority of ppl have losi sliders which are indi's and the ofna is an indi.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 06-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Good news. I do not think I will have to cut the chassis. Maybe just the plastic rear tower mounting nubs:

The third pic shows the 2.5" difference in wb.
    EDIT: I will not be using the stock trans. Just used it for the initial mock up.

But if you did notch the rear of the chassis so it could fit around the tranny it would ALMOST be the same length as a stock pede. Maybe even shorter than a stock pede with your chassis extension. What a cool idea your working on.
    Just a thought for later on, a Proline rear skidplate will still allow you to run a wheelie bar or at least have some rear protection for this project as the rear mount is one piece with the skidplate. With the tranny turned around youll loose any rear mounted possibilities.
    Also, do you think using a wing mount, backwards off the rear shock tower, as a body mount, would get your body posts close to where they were on the stock truck?
    This is a really cool project... keep up the good work.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

The proline skid is a good idea, and I have a h3llfire wing mount. Thanks pave.
    I dont want to notch the chassis if I dont have to, but for a future project, I would like to make a Mid Motor Sleeper pede that looks stock at first glance. Only downside is, that a standard 6 cell wont fit with a stock wheelbase mid modded chassis. Maybe a 4x2 config or a stacked 2s might though.

Looks like I wont be moving my rc stuff into my new rc garage till about the 5th of next month. I cant wait to go full blast into this project.

Found a local area for some blacktop testing. Its a bicycle oval with high banked turns and long straights. Too long to complete a full circuit, but the turns are tight enough to test the offset suspension. I would guess its about a 1/2 mile circuit.

My next task is to install the hr trans. Hopefully it will fit without cuttiing the chassis, as the motor plate is much larger than stock. I may just be able to get a solid brace from the motor plate to the chassis. Also will need a brace from the rear tower to the chassis to sure up the flex, and help out the cut up skid plate.

More pics of whats going on in a couple of days...
    Last edited by rag6; 06-26-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Maybe saddle packs for the batteries
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Saddle packs, turned on their sides, side by side in the front of the battery compartment maybe. Ive looked at venoms saddle packs and wondered if there would ever be any reason to buy them just to have around. Or, like you said, you could stack them with velcro or double sided tape and strap them in. This is so cool.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I am sure I could get a 2s stacked into a brick. I will have to contact spc when I get the sleeper started. Will be working on the hr trans install a little later tonight. Hopefully have something up mon night.
    Also found out from castle they will replace motor and esc for $90 on a non warranty basis. I am pretty happy about that, but got no answer on why it did not thermal.

Progress!

Well, started the actual build today and got a lot accomplished.
    Notice that the anti-squat issue was corrected by swapping the rear susp mounts from left to right:

Used my original rear body mount from my '06 xl5 and cut it up to link the hr motor plate. This was the mount I used for my original cheap pede extension.
    This thing has been to heck and back. The soft plastic it is made from made it extremely durable for my purposes. Sorry to see it go, but I needed it lol.

The flipped trans has been moved back using 2 of the original mounting holes and I drilled 2 more and countersunk them.

EDIT: R.I.P. Slash MT. It has been disassembled as a donor for many parts for this build.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    this is going to be sweet!! subscribed
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

Think thats going to be enough bracing of the tranny to the chassis? What about a plate of aluminum bent in an L shape at the shock tower, then over or under the chassis? It just looks like that one little mount wont be strong enough. But your the one with it in your hands so youll know better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Ok, I know this looks flimsy at the moment, but I have 4 options to sure up the flex that is currently hapnin'.
    #1 & 2: Swami bar to the rescue:

The swami wheelie bar tube can be connected from the chassis to the rear tower to reduce ft to back flex like this:

Also the swami plate could be used (by re bending it) to go over top of the trans from the tower to the chassis like this (worst option as it will add weight high up which goes against the purpose of this build. Forgot to take a pic):

Option 3 is to add a 2nd skid like so:

^^^The second skid can be attached in the stock chassis holes and secured to the current skid with locknuts. (I feel this combined with the swami tube will be the best option).

Option # 4 is to have a brace made. I really don't want to do that, but if all other options fail, I could possibly talk to my friend, but the cost would be silly. Here is an idea of how the brace would be made:

The second skid combined with the swami tube will eliminate all flex, and add protection for the motor. This is my first setup I will explore.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Amazing stuff. Keep on keeping us posted! That's a stout-looking spur/slipper setup.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Ok connected the second skid. It is plenty stiff now, but the extension piece (circled in yellow above)is the wrong shape so the whole chassis is tweaked a little to the left. Adding the swami tube will tweak it back into line, and make it super solid. Pics when I get that done.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman
    Amazing stuff. Keep on keeping us posted! That's a stout-looking spur/slipper setup.
    It is heavy. This should be beneficial for high speed asphalt oval. The heavier "flywheel" should help it keep its speed up in turns. Acceleration may suffer, but it designed to be running wide open most of the time.

Ok connected the second skid. It is plenty stiff now, but the extension piece (circled in yellow above)is the wrong shape so the whole chassis is tweaked a little to the left. Adding the swami tube will tweak it back into line, and make it super solid. Pics when I get that done.
    So you're going with the extra skid plate AND the Swami tube? Sounds like a good idea. I'm still not convinced that the extra skid alone will offer enough support for a vehicle this long, so I'm all for trying to add some support to the top side. Yeah; it may not be what you originally had in mind, but I really don't think it's going to alter the vehicle's COG that much.
    Didn't you bend that HR gear case at one time?
    Last edited by TAT2; 07-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    99%er

Yeah the motor plate was bent using a stock wheelie bar. I bent it back and used a swami... Are you getting at the bending issue? I never thought of that. But the cut down soft brace will absorb a lot. Your gonna be even more concerned though. The 1st skids rt side support (yellow)

will need to be removed for motor clearance. The swami tube (green) will solidify the issue though, I am completely convinced of it. The twin skid as it sits with the brace (to the motor plate) on the left is stiff as stock. I am in my cab at the airport right now or I would take a pic to show the setup. It is a very busy week coming up with Independence Day and the golf tournament at Oakmont. I will be haulin a million people around on some pretty long trips (big $$$) so hope I can fund this whole project in the next 10 days or so. Pics when I can get to it.

The swami tube (green) will solidify the issue though, I am completely convinced of it. The twin skid as it sits with the brace (to the motor plate) on the left is stiff as stock. I am in my cab at the airport right now or I would take a pic to show the setup. It is a very busy week coming up with Independence Day and the golf tournament at Oakmont. I will be haulin a million people around on some pretty long trips (big $$$) so hope I can fund this whole project in the next 10 days or so. Pics when I can get to it.
    I'll take your word for it. It's a little hard to tell how this is all going to go together without seeing it in person, so you would know better than I. All I was really saying was I think you're going to need a little more support for the rear end with all that weight hanging off the back. I've personally broken a bunch of stock braces, so I find myself wondering if as "stiff as stock" will really be adequate. Ehh; I guess part of the fun of these things is building them, running them, and then revising designs based on performance. If it it turns out that it's not quite what you'd hoped for, or it breaks, it's just more fabrication fun for you. (No sarcasm; I love the fabrication of parts for builds like these. Other than driving these rigs, it is perhaps the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me.)
    Last edited by TAT2; 07-02-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    99%er