Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Tekin Bites the dust :(

For everyone to see because I'm no fanboy of anyone. You all know I have been singing Tekin praises and I may continue pending the warranty process, but it bit the dust yesterday.

Description of the problem:

Tekin Support,

My RX8 will not power up. I have tested all solder joints and resoldered a few. I plug the ESC up to my hotwire and it will not power up (it was powering on fine yesterday) I have used batteries only over 150 amps usually around 200+ amps. I use the ESC in my E-Revo with the T8 motor. I can not get power doing anything. Before this power incident happened I was have issues with ESC already. Just yesterday after a few speed runs the esc start cogging very bad when any resistance was applied. For example, if I held the car up and was very easy on throttle I could get it to top speed, but if I just instantly hit full throttle it would cog very badly moving around 5 mph top speed. If I set the car on the ground it would cog badly doing any type of throttle and today it won't power up. I went the Tekin route because my MMM puffed black smoke right after I received my new E-Revo and I have had the Tekin setup for about 3-4 months and have loved it. I hope you will take care of this issue.

Jonathan

MMM: 1 failure
    emailed on friday and received a message that following thursday
    was told the had plenty in stock and would receive on by the weekend, but after calling the middle of the week after I should have received it I was told it hadn't shipped due to Out of Stock.

Tekin: 1 failure
    emailed on friday and received a message promptly 9:00 am on monday
    Pending Warranty status (this will make or break Tekin in my eyes and whether I sing praise or not)
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear about the early death............ I just sent my RX8 in today after it caught fire last week. They'll take a day or two to answer your email, but they'll come thru for you. More than likely shoot you out a new one instead of fixing it. Good luck
    assembled in Tawain, hopped up in America

RC Qualifier
    Thanks brotha. I figured they would help me out.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    Now what I smoked my MMM then got a RX8/T8, if that goes out whats next ? Atleast the MMM still has a warranty. About that, I gotta get that out this week .

Sorry to hear about that Cultivate....
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Qualifier
    Just to note for everyone. I was stumbling through the Tekin Hotwire interface when I read up on their custom LVC. If you make the LVC higher than the 3.0v per cell on 6s meaning you set LVC at anything above 18v without a BEC you will do unwarrantied damage to the ESC. Everyone may want to check that out. It's a warning if you hover over the LVC for the tooltip.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    Problem will probably be solved by Tekin and you will most likely receive a new ESC with a new designed case. The main failure for the RX8 has been impact shocks from jumping damaging the boards inside. Tekin recognized this problem and has created a new designed case that supports the internals better and in theory solve the failures.

RC Champion
    Ahhh! Im sorry to hear that man

I saw the tool tip, and just left it at 18v, I can tell when the packs are at around 3.7-3.8v per cell. It did unnerve me a little. I guess its got something to do with the voltage to the servo or something? Im not sure.

Also, how can you tell if you have the new revision of the RX8?

Can you tell by looking at it? If so 'scuse the ghettoness

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4507/img2786.jpg
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6384/img2782.jpg
    MBX5T|MMM/2200kv|16/46|Hitec 7955TG|KingHeadz

RC Qualifier
    You have the old one. I don't know what the new ones look like, but if you have had yours or more than a couple of days it's the older version. Tekin just released the new design and currently no shop that I know of has the new cases. Tower shows everything on order until late June which is the new design.

RC Champion
    Ahhh booooooo

I got this from a guy here in town, its brand new and it was a replacement for one that cooked on him.

On a positive note, its still a nice esc. revisions.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-14-2010 at 10:58 PM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first i hear tekins are fine. then i hear the red heatsink rx8's have awsome soldering and won't have any more issues...so i guess that was v2....now they have a new case you can only get if you trade it in?!?!?!
    i just bought 2 new rx8 systems THIS WEEK!!!!!!!. the 2650 and the 2050......now i learn both cases are the old versions....

i feel great profanity on the verge of getting typed so i'll stop there.

i need to go pray.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    It's not the end of the world, just like the V1 and V2 MMMs weren't the end of the world. They are excellent combos and I love the T8 & RX8 setup but it's not some sort of magic.

RC Qualifier
    It would be nice if Tekin did a replacement program. Might be something and simple as sending your functioning old case version to them to have a new case swapped. As far as I know the internal electronics are the same and just the case was redesigned. The new case might even look the same on the outside with just internal changes. For the time being I would guess only failed ones will be replaced. Cultivate will probably be the first on this board to get the new version, but as long as Tekin warranties them then we'll all be taken care of in the event of failure.

I feel ya though as I just got mine less than a month ago, but i do love how nice it is even if it may have a flaw.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's too bad.... I was beginning to think Tekin was going to overtake Castle after all of the mmm failures and people switching over. I guess any system managing this kind of power is iffy, I certainly hope you get a swift warrantied replacement. So you hadn't had any decent crashes, water or heat issues recently? It just died out of the blue... Man I feel bad for you Cultivate, your just having really bad luck with esc's.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

you know what...i was thinking about things last night and was talking to a friend and i don't think i'm sending mine in for a new case.

here's why...the rx8 had TONS of testing. for a LONG time. by some accounts on youtube, it might have been more than 2 years of testing. so it was kind of the general consensus that when they came out, they would be the best of the best and they wouldn't have to collect dust in some tech's return box.

not so lucky. apparently, people are breaking the cases because they flex. so my question is are they really testing these like WE are driving them?

so, they have re-designed new cases now, and have tested it enough to know it won't break? really?

I dunno about that.

do they really have enough time to have fixed the issue completely?

i'm not gonna find out.

I'm making my own case.

work with me for a minute. i remember in science class having to make a box for an egg that wouldn't compromise the egg in any way. we worked on it for a couple of weeks. when we were done, we tossed it around, threw it at brick walls and even dropped it from a building to see if it would break. after a few designs, we came up with one that worked.

that's what i'm gonna do. warrantys are useless if all they do is collect dust on a techs bench. i simply can't buy enough back-ups to keep myself running without down time.

i'm sick of racing for a week and sitting for 3. i've only smoked 1 esc out of more than 20 others that have been sent back to 3 different companies because the cases flexed and broke something inside. this isn't just apparent to one esc company. i see it being a problem with 3.

after seeing a couple of the escs with no cases on, it dosen't surprise me at all that these are breaking. some of the choices in design for where they put some of their most fragile components really makes me wonder what they were thinking. i know they want to keep them small, but i'd rather have a sasquatch of a design and keep it running then to have wasted the kind of money i have.

so me and my buddy are gonna test out some ideas we kicked around last night and try some new approaches to protecting these. I'll post results as i get them.

RC Champion
    I belive the lvc setting above 3v is for the smaller esc's. Call Tekin and ask to double check because that's what the tech on the phone told me. He said that all esc's use the same hotwire program and the warning is for the smaller versions.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider
    I belive the lvc setting above 3v is for the smaller esc's. Call Tekin and ask to double check because that's what the tech on the phone told me. He said that all esc's use the same hotwire program and the warning is for the smaller versions.
    Oh, sweet! Thanks for the info Nova.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    you know what...i was thinking about things last night and was talking to a friend and i don't think i'm sending mine in for a new case......
    Before you go through all the trouble and make a new case you should open yours up and see where the problem lies. Supposedly it is quite apparent where the weakness is and why the circuit boards crack. The old cases themselves where not cracking, but rather the circuit board was not supported well enough inside and flexing until cracking or popping solder joints. Some added support in the right place should solve it which is basically what Tekin has done with the new cases.

I don't want to open mine up and void the warranty, but it sounds like your ready to do that anyway. The one good thing is that I would think that if a old style RX8 fails I would think Tekin will still warranty it even if it is technically out of warranty due to age. At least these ESCs aren't going up in smoke like the MMM for no reason.

RC Enthusiast
    I also have an RX8 in for service. they recieved it on the 7th of this month I called today and they said it was still being checked.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010
    Before you go through all the trouble and make a new case you should open yours up and see where the problem lies. Supposedly it is quite apparent where the weakness is and why the circuit boards crack. The old cases themselves where not cracking, but rather the circuit board was not supported well enough inside and flexing until cracking or popping solder joints. Some added support in the right place should solve it which is basically what Tekin has done with the new cases.

I don't want to open mine up and void the warranty, but it sounds like your ready to do that anyway. The one good thing is that I would think that if a old style RX8 fails I would think Tekin will still warranty it even if it is technically out of warranty due to age. At least these ESCs aren't going up in smoke like the MMM for no reason.
    Known reason or not, the failure still takes the controller out of your hands, now doesn't it? Both motor systems are very good. No need to go hating on either.

RC Qualifier
    sadly I agree with ksb (although I like him, I hate when he's right :P). The Tekin is a failure and black smoke or broken board is still me out of service. My MMM took about 11 business days from the time I called them to ship from them to me . I.e. they didn't have to receive mine first.
    Last edited by Cultivate; 06-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    Known reason or not, the failure still takes the controller out of your hands, now doesn't it? Both motor systems are very good. No need to go hating on either.

Exactly, and just like many reasonable people said over and over again, the reason you hear about so much more MMM failures is because of the sheer amount of them that are out there. Now that we're starting to see more people jump on the Tekin bandwagon, we're suddenly hearing about more issues and newer revisions to fix problems. Sound familiar?

RC Champion
    The new mamba monster controllers are supposed to be quite beasty

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010

i simply don't believe tekin is going to be able to fix the issue. no other american made esc company has been able to come up with a bash proof case which is why so many people are angry imo. you think people are a little annoyed here, try rctech. those guys are mad..

the problem isn't with the top of the case, it's with the bottom. it flexes upon impact and it breaks things. it's the same issue i had with the mamba. i was breaking the bec coils from the case flexing into the bec.

tekin's fix -from what the few people who have gotten the new cases are saying; it's a little crossmember on the bottom of the case to prevent flexing ....really? that's it?

i'm eliminating the bottom of both cases all together.

my idea is to basically build an aluminum box lined with thick memory foam and basically encase the esc in foam inside an unflexible case leaving the top open for the heat dissipation.

like the old egg in the box science project.

if i can get one to last a year it'll be well worth the voided warranty. besides, if you're careful in your design, they may never know it was ever opened.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    Exactly, and just like many reasonable people said over and over again, the reason you hear about so much more MMM failures is because of the sheer amount of them that are out there. Now that we're starting to see more people jump on the Tekin bandwagon, we're suddenly hearing about more issues and newer revisions to fix problems. Sound familiar?
    This isn't a Tekin vs. MMM hate thread. If you don't have anything constructive to add please don't comment in my threads. This has been beat to death and everyone understands it (or if they don't they never will). I have always stated I like Tekin because it didn't blow up instantly and it was butter smooth among other things (such as heat). I have now had a problem. I'm not a fanboy of anything and I think many other people are the same way. I just clearly state the problems I have had with any product so everyone sees what's going on. Your pessimistic comments exhaust this forum.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    I don't blame Tekin for a few of their ESCs failing. I don't blame Castle Creations for a few of their ESCs failing either. I blame the beta testers they use taking it easy on the equipment and reporting back that everything is fine. All the ESC manufacturers should send ME free ESCs to test.

This is a joke by the way, so don't get all mad and start flaming me. And sorry for your misfortune Cultivate and thank you for reporting it.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    Go team Tekin wooo000oo0oo00

It cogged really badly before it burst into flames. It got so hot, 10 minutes after I blew the fire out, the bottom of the esc was still pretty warm lol. Not sure what happend, but whats done is done. I guess this is how guys feel when their castle esc goes up eh? I really enjpyed the sensored action, but I probably wont use another Tekin product. Good thing I still have my Castle stuff

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    This is a joke by the way, so don't get all mad and start flaming me. And sorry for your misfortune Cultivate and thank you for reporting it.
    You're off the hook I guess

Wow free... that sucks man.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    Yeah, it does. I really liked it!

I was only out for maybe 10 minutes today :/

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cultivate
    This isn't a Tekin vs. MMM hate thread. If you don't have anything constructive to add please don't comment in my threads. This has been beat to death and everyone understands it (or if they don't they never will). I have always stated I like Tekin because it didn't blow up instantly and it was butter smooth among other things (such as heat). I have now had a problem. I'm not a fanboy of anything and I think many other people are the same way. I just clearly state the problems I have had with any product so everyone sees what's going on. Your pessimistic comments exhaust this forum.
    What do you expect, you posted a note about the MMM replacement in your thread about Tekin and you expect no one to comment on it. If anything I would say you have the poor attitude.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    What do you expect, you posted a note about the MMM replacement in your thread about Tekin and you expect no one to comment on it. If anything I would say you have the poor attitude.
    Well, I guess if you don't like it you can refrain from coming into my threads. I also think that you may have misconstrued my comment. I didn't just mean his response in my thread. I am talking about over the period of time I have been on this forum I generally see his responses to be rude and far from helpful, but didn't see it was my place to say anything until he was in my thread.

But, I also may have taken it a bit over the top.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    Oh cmon group hug

Good game peoples!

RC Qualifier
    So did people just stop posting their MMM failures or what? They were everywhere for a long time and now I'm seeing Tekins going down left and right? Pitty I had so much hope for the RX8 and was going to swap if my cc died (I know I know they all have issues) but the rx8 was looking to be a very trustworthy esc. Free- was your failure on 4,5 or 6s? Just curious.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333
    So did people just stop posting their MMM failures or what? They were everywhere for a long time and now I'm seeing Tekins going down left and right? Pitty I had so much hope for the RX8 and was going to swap if my cc died (I know I know they all have issues) but the rx8 was looking to be a very trustworthy esc. Free- was your failure on 4,5 or 6s? Just curious.

The RX8 was a great esc. I really liked it alot with the T8 2250. It was silky smooth, just like everyone says. Even with the Neu 2200 it was smooth, tho not like in sensored mode. As for what I was running for jo0s, I only have 3s packs. I guess now would be a good time to try 5s because the esc took out the center cell on my left side lipo. I probably wont run those packs ever again tho, the voltage on 1 pack is all over the place, tho the right side pack is perfect. When I blew out the flames the lipo wires were very hot, as well as the esc wires. I think I possibly detected a bit of a flat spot on the T8, tho Im not positive. If thats the case, well theres the problem I rekon.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm 6s huh, well I think that's what Cultivate usually runs as well? Not sure it really has anything to do with your failures but its something Ill look for in other Tekin -non case related failures since 6s seemed to be one of the main flags in mmm failures. So by flat spot do you mean cutting out or loosing power at a certain rpm range or what?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I run 6s, but I would say I ran 4s about 1/4 of the time just because I have more 2s packs. I usually on put my 3s packs in if I'm looking for a that rush before I put the car up.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cultivate
    Curb your Tekin enthusiasm for a minute and you'll see I wasn't hating on either brand but simply making a true statement. This is a public forum despite it being "your thread" and if you don't like people posting in your threads, then you can stop creating them or start yoru own private forum. Fact of the matter is you're the one flaming which in turn is causing your thread to get crapped on. No one to blame but yourself for that.

RC Champion
    I knew it,....I just knew it..

Honey, make some popcorn........There may be something good to watch..

(√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlotterHouse
    I knew it,....I just knew it..

Honey, make some popcorn........There may be something good to watch..

I figured that as well, but I figured someone should let him know. Now, that he does, I'll leave him be

Edit: oddly enough I see the biggest negativism and know-it-all attitude from IT professionals. Just so I don't get mail saying I'm hating on IT professions, I am an IT professional.
    Last edited by Cultivate; 06-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

Slotter you crack me up.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    i
    tekin's fix -from what the few people who have gotten the new cases are saying; it's a little crossmember on the bottom of the case to prevent flexing ....really? that's it?
    That's interesting that's all they did to supposedly solve the damaged internals. I have mine mounted on a piece of plexiglass that was cut to mirror the shape of the EVX2 it was replacing. The RX8 is screwed to the plexiglass and then I use two screws to hold the plexi to the original EVX mounting holes. I'm wondering if the plexi may help reinforce the bottom of the case and prevent flexing. Guess only time will tell.