Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Project Always Dreaming II: A dream come true.

Hey guys,

It has been quite some time since I last had any sort of R/C related project. Since I've had so much going on, I just haven't had time to play with the R/C's. But now that I'm basically taking a summer "off," I have a little more free time for all of my hobbies, vs. just a couple of them. This is my most recent project... a new Villain.

I wanted to buy a Villain since I got into the hobby back in the late 90's. I wanted to buy one in kit form, but waited too long, and was forced to buy an RTR version back in 2002. Ever since then, the Villain has gone though a number of changes. As much fun as I have had with it over the years, I always wished I could have built one from scratch. That dream has now become a reality... I managed to find a Villain IV in kit form, brand new in the box. Today was the day... I broke the seal and began the build.

Here are some pictures of the box before I opened her up:

The hull:

Here's something we don't get to see too often these days... parts bags!

The flotation foam that keeps our beloved Villains from sinking to the murky depths.

As some of the members who have been here for a while know, I wanted to install navigation lights on my original Villain. The problem was that I was unable to find a way to route the wires through the pre-assembled hull. Now that I have an un-assembled hull, I can now run the wires! Here's a picture of the bow nav. lights:

So far, I have just assembled the first bag (A) and glued the upper and lower hulls together. I used hot glue instead of the supplied ABS glue so that if I ever need to take the hull apart again, I can.

My plan is to assemble the boat completely stock. I want to give her a run at least once in stock form. Then I will take the parts from my old boat and transfer them over to the new one (motors, ESC, props, turn fins, etc.)

I will be sure to keep you guys updated on my progress...

Happy boating,

-cooleo
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I remember that packaging! Lol. Except that looks like the older model with the mechanical speed control.
    That's sweet that you were able to find an original IV new in box though. I love finding new classics like that.
    Are you going to be installing any stern lights?
    It looks like a great project though cooleo. You should have fun with it.
    VXL Rustler on 3s
    Villain IVX on (2) 2s

All of the kits came with a MSC. Yes, definitely cool. One thing that drew me to this hobby was that you could buy these vehicles and build them from scratch; this is something that we seem to have gotten away from in more recent years (unfortunately). I'm very glad that I am getting a chance to build a Villain (finally!).

My plan is to have a light out back, but I haven't figured out how I want to set it up yet.

I didn't make a whole lot of progress today. I got through the second bag (B), which was the drive line. I discovered a couple of things today. The first is that this boat has Traxxas' second setup as far as the motor mount goes. Instead of just plastic, this boat has two fiberglass plates that go on each side of the plastic mount.

There was also something in the manual about a reverse gear assembly that was to be used on the reversed motor side when using modified motors. This gear setup allowed both motors to be ran in the standard rotation without having to have one reversed- cool stuff!

Here's a shot of the progress that I have made so far:

Happy boating,

-cooleo

RC Qualifier
    That looks great. I haven't seen that clean of a villain in a while. Lol.
    My iv must have been the updated version with the esc, same packaging tho. However a kit would have been very fun to build.
    As for your rear light goes you could even build yourself a replica stern nav bar with a light on top. Might be unique
    But definitely keep us updated on the build. It's lookin good so far.
    VXL Rustler on 3s
    Villain IVX on (2) 2s

I know what box you're talking about... I have one of those two from my other Villain!

We'll see what kind of light. I'll probably just do a regular pole light, as that would be the most true to the boat. But we'll see... I always wanted to build a radar arch for my other one...

RC Qualifier
    Looking good so far Cooleocool, Any plans to buy a Titan?
    I would but don't wanna part with my Villian yet.
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

Good looking project you have going there. It sure is strange to see a Traxxas model in parts right out of the box! Keep up the good work and it is good to hear you have some more r/c time

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You lucky dog! Man, I've been looking for one of these also, they sure don't come around very often.

I'm really diggin the nav. lights, this will be a sweet build!
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by traxxas basher
    Looking good so far Cooleocool, Any plans to buy a Titan?
    I would but don't wanna part with my Villian yet.
    No, probably not. The Titan just won't be suited for the type of R/C boating that I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    Good looking project you have going there. It sure is strange to see a Traxxas model in parts right out of the box! Keep up the good work and it is good to hear you have some more r/c time

-Brett
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bashin Maxxer15
    You lucky dog! Man, I've been looking for one of these also, they sure don't come around very often.

I'm really diggin the nav. lights, this will be a sweet build!
    Thanks! Yeah, I've wanted one of these for as long as I have been in the hobby! I was pretty happy when I found one!

As far as updates go, there are none so far. I probably won't be able to touch the kit until early next month due to everything I have planned at the moment (mainly kayaking trips with friends and house hunting).

Happy boating,

-cooleo

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Good stuff man. Keep us posted.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Will do! Hopefully I can resume working on it after the 4th!

Okay... so it's the 13th and I still haven't made any progress... been way too busy! However, I did bring the kit back with me. So I will soon take over my girlfriend's desk and continue the build. She didn't complain when I had my Rustler torn apart, so I figure the boat should be okay! We shall see... wish me luck!

RC Qualifier
    Looking good !!!

What esc setup are you going with and are you going to install water cooling?

btw the Bow nav lights look really cool!!
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by MfizzleS62
    Looking good !!!

What esc setup are you going with and are you going to install water cooling?

btw the Bow nav lights look really cool!!
    Thank you.

I'm not sure about the ESC. When I actually get around to buying one, I might just go with a Traxxas XL-10 Marine. They're great ESCs, and would work well with this setup. Water cooling is a definite yes.

My original plan was to transfer my electronics from my older Villain into this hull, but I have changed my mind. I'm going to keep this boat stock for a while and play with it like that. I figure that it would be a good boat for my girlfriend and friends to drive and not get into too much trouble with. Eventually, I'll install an ESC, Graupner u-joints, and EX props.

Anyway, on to my update! So I got to work on bag C this morning. I have the okay from my GF to work on it... when she woke up, all she said was that I better not scratch her desk up... works for me!

The electronics tray is almost complete. Man, it has been forever since I last used an MSC! But I will use it for the time being... I want to run the boat in completely stock form!

That's it for now... no pics yet...

Happy boating,

-cooleo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, that's something you don't see every day! Very nice! Congratulations and have fun!

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Oh, I am! Thanks!

No progress today. Maybe tomorrow!

I like the radar hoop idea with an anchor light on it.

The planets must have lined up just right to find that old kit!

Have fun customizing her!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Can I make a suggestion? If I were you, I would get some high output diffused LEDs because the beam on the clear ones points upwards... You don't need to illuminate the road like in a truck, these are navigation lights and in my opinion the diffused LEDs will look much beter, just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910
    I like the radar hoop idea with an anchor light on it.

The planets must have lined up just right to find that old kit!

Have fun customizing her!
    Oh I will, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Can I make a suggestion? If I were you, I would get some high output diffused LEDs because the beam on the clear ones points upwards... You don't need to illuminate the road like in a truck, these are navigation lights and in my opinion the diffused LEDs will look much beter, just my 2 cents...

I'll look into it. With the way I glued the hull together, I can always get it back apart again if I need to work on the LEDs/add different ones.

An update... the boat is almost done. I just need to install some Powerpole connectors, mount the radio tray, and connect the steering linkages. I still have the decal application to go as well.

I won't be able to finish right away, though. Last night I went out on a late-night bike ride (I ride 20+ miles every day). About halfway through in a vary dark area, I hit a curb that I couldn't see. I was wearing a helmet (I always do), but I'm still pretty banged up. I don't have full use of my right hand because I have a couple of fingers splinted. That kind of makes working on an R/C a little difficult! The good news is that I had the bike shop order me another helmet... as soon as that comes in, I'll be back to riding again!

At any rate, the boat still should be done soon!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you! Hope you get better quick! I want to see that boat finished!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ouch, sorry to hear that man. Did you go over the handlebars? I'm tellin ya', those curbs just jump out in front front of you!

Can't wait to see more progress on her!

Oh, I'll get her done, no worries! I just need use of my hand again! I don't think either finger is broken, but one is fractured.

Yeah, right over the handle bars. My shoes were clipped into the peddles, so I drug the bike out from under me too. My head hit first. I estimate my speed somewhere around 22mph. My average speed is around 27mph, but I had slowed down due to the darkness.

I never wore helmets in the past because I thought they looked silly. But one day I decided that wearing one was probably a good idea. I ended up buying a nice one from Bell. It turned out to be a good investment. I would have more than likely been knocked out without it. Instead, I only had a very minor concussion. Splinted hand or not, I'll be back on the bike once that helmet gets in... biking is just one of my many hobbies... I love it!

As for pictures... truth is that I left my camera in the glove box of my other car, and it's downstate! I suppose I could use my girlfriend's camera, though...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.

I have it most of the way completed now. All I need to do is install one more powerpole connector (I only have one with me), install the windshield (the screws to attach it were not included for whatever reason), and install the deck rails. I left off the large dark blue decals on the side because those are annoying and I hate putting them on. She's ready for the water, though! I covered the holes for the windshield for the time being so water can't get in. I did leave my deck thumbscrews in my shop, though... so I'll have to improvise come time to take her out. I have a couple of old Ni-Cd's juiced up... but I'll be taking her out tomorrow.

Here she is:

It's so clean and shiny!!!

Happy boating,

-cooleo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, that's a big resistor!!! I didn't imagine that it had the mechanical speed control...

Yeah it is! All of the Villain IV kits came with Mechanical Speed Controllers (as did Traxxas' land vehicles in kit form).

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the graphics. I kind of like all of the white, and I do love blue. I will probably just keep it as is, to retain the stock look.

Currently in the process of breaking the motors in... running them at the lowest speed of the MSC with the pinion gears removed for approximately 3000mAh. I will be taking her out for a run later today, so long as the weather holds. Wish me luck!

Happy boating,

-cooleo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    Currently in the process of breaking the motors in... running them at the lowest speed of the MSC with the pinion gears removed for approximately 3000mAh. I will be taking her out for a run later today, so long as the weather holds. Wish me luck!

Happy boating,

-cooleo
    Good luck has been wished.

I say leave the dark blue decals off, the light blue and white looks much better in my opinion.

I never ended up taking it out because I didn't bring my deck wing nuts up with me. I'll try to get it out sometime this coming weekend, perhaps. I left it up at my GF's, and I came home for a bit to visit my family. I spent the weekend downstate with her family. It will get driven soon enough. My girl wants to bring both Villains to the river to drive them, but she says that she gets to drive the "fast one." We'll see... lol...

Happy boating,

-cooleo

What is the silicone oil for?
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

That's the drive shaft oiler.

RC Qualifier
    That's the drive shaft oiler.

HAHA I dont have a drive shaft oiler I guess thats what those metal nipples are for on the Drive shaft?
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

Yes, exactly. There's a tube that runs from the bottle to those nipples on the drive shaft housings.

RC Champion
    nice boat, what are your run times like?
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

I don't really know yet, as I haven't gotten the chance to take it out on the water. I will try to take it out on Sunday. They probably won't be all that great being that I'm just using my old 1500 and 1900 Ni-Cd battery packs!

Nice work cooleocool! It has been a long time since I have seen a 1501 Villain that clean....as it should since it is new. It should probably stay on the boat stand up on the mantle as a collectors item Very nice!

Have fun with that old school mechanical speed control...

No collectors item here! I built it to drive it!

Thanks!

Hmm... well I took it out for a run, or tried to anyway. It's really windy here and the bay was really choppy (so I didn't bother trying to take pictures, as I didn't want to flip the boat on her first run).

With that being said, I had an issue with my batteries. One pack was down below 6 volts after it was charged and the other was around 7.5. I wish I would have checked the voltages before I put the boat in the water... it was slow! I'm going to have to recycle my old Ni-Cd cells, it looks like. They are 9 years old and all of them are having voltage issues. This means no running the new boat until probably next weekend when I can get home and get some better batteries.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can get two 6-cell packs that come with the new Revo 3.3 for the Ez Start 2... Those are 1500mAh and cheap... Or maybe, some 2S LiPos...

Oh, I have batteries (Ni-Mh packs, and a lot of them). I was/am reluctant to use them in this boat, though... when it came out 1500mAh Ni-Cd's were as good as it got. The motors will be fine as long as I'm just running one high-capacity pack, but that MSC isn't going to like the run time or the voltage. We'll see I guess... I don't really want to buy Ni-Cd packs... so perhaps I will just upgrade to an ESC.