RC poster

overheating with vxl system 23/83 gearing

Hey all just hoping I could get some good advice the local hobby shop recommended the gearing with my 2s lipo but towards the end of the run I'm getting the red blinking light. This is mostly bashing around on backyard track with occasional spees run on the street. Any idea guys? Should i get the vxl cooling fan or change gears. Thanks a ton for helping a noob : )

RC poster
    Is the red blinking light slow or fast?
    Slow = low voltage warning
    Fast = heat warning

RC poster
    I think its fast I can't turn it off I have to unplug battery

RC Qualifier
    for starters, gear down. general bashing i use 18/86. i also run the vxl fan.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC poster
    Do you think 23/86 would be okay? or 23/90? My hobby shop is all out of pinions and this one is really hard to get on and off, fits super snug. Also, can you explain why the speed controller gets hot because of gearing? Wouldn't the motor be getting hot instead? I am just trying to understand all the relations, thanks for helping out a noob! Didn't think I would be having problems with a 2s lipo, I know I am never going for a 3s now lol.

Also just wondering what is considered safe temperatures for motor and esc using infrared thermometer
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by jb23fan
    Also just wondering what is considered safe temperatures for motor and esc using infrared thermometer
    You don't want the motor getting over 180F, stop running at that temp. You want your gearing low enough that it stays under 180F after a full pack.

ESC temps. My VXL never used to get over 110F but I also had a fan on it.

RC Racer
    you can also get an aluminum transmission to keep temps down.

RC Qualifier
    The speed control gets hot because that is what "feeds" the motor its power. Running a motor under a heavy load requires more power(amps), so to keep the motor spinning at the speed you want, it needs more juice. More juice means more heat. Gearing down helps because it gives more input torque to the trans meaning less work, which in turn means less heat. Generally speaking.
    Nothing burns the hair off your hands like 40%....

RC poster
    Thanks guys I will pick up a fan and try 23/90 and see if that helps it out.

RC Champion
    You should be able to do some wheelies with a lower gearing and some good grippin' tires.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:01 PM.

RC Champion
    23/90 is too high fan or not,
    RADIOJH is recommending much better gearing
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree with radiojh and rpsrcs. The highest you should be going to just bash in general is 19/86. 23/86 would be o.k. if you were running only on pavement or only doing high speed passes. You dont need a fan or aluminum tranny, just gear it right and youll be fine.
    I run my Stampede VXL on 2S lipo and 30 series badlands tires on 18/86 and have no heat issues.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsrcs
    23/90 is too high fan or not,
    RADIOJH is recommending much better gearing
    thats not too high. i run 19/86 for slow tracks (never for bashing) 21/86 for grass and tough bashing. and 23-25/86 for easy/on road bashing. never had any temp issues.

in fact i know 19/86 is too low because after a whole 5200mah lipo the motor is at 120*F. thats too low. after a race with that gearing its under 100*F. which is nice but it means you arent getting the power you deserve.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC poster
    I just set it up with 23/90 and it is hot here, did some bashing around and motor reached 160f and esc reached 118f, much much better? or still too high?

edit: this was with no fan, have to order it online.

Edited for language abuse.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:02 PM.

RC Champion
    160* is perfect...if there is perfect temp, just need to keep it under 200*

different points on the motor will give HUGE differences in temps. check around for the highest...

IMO a fan is nice, but the motor will get hotter than the motor...defeating the purpose of cooling the esc.

RC Qualifier
    Electric motors don't "need" to be ran at a certain temperature for optimum performance. They're not nitro engines. They just have an upper temp limit where bad things can happen. Gear the car for the track or conditions, starting at the lowest gear combo you can get. Run the car as fast as you can handle, then check your temp. Any hotter than 160 degrees on the can and you need to gear down. The cooler your system runs(without fans or heat sinks or aluminum trans cases), the less battery juice gets wasted as heat.
    Last edited by NovaSavage; 06-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Nothing burns the hair off your hands like 40%....

RC Champion
    160* is for the titan, the vxl can go up to 200* most people stop around
    180* to account for temp difference inside the can

RC poster
    Speaking of which, what do you guys think is the best place to point the thermometer for checking temperature. I always pop the black cover off and check their, and then usually point at the backside of the heatsink opposite of the ez set button.