RC Champion

Steering yet again.. on 3S now

I noticed some really weird behavior with 3S (ezrun 8.5T/60A kit).. this does not happen on 2S:

When I am driving at full or near full throttle, and steer while I do, every now and then the entire car goes dead suddenly (usually ending up in a major rollover due to the sudden power loss). Sometimes only the frontlights flicker. Then I wait a few moments, and suddenly it works again. The servo is mildly warm and appears to steer normally by itself, although sometimes when I move left and right quickly with the wheels off the ground, after 4-6x the lights will blink out for half a sec.
    The weird thing is, while the lights sometimes flicker slightly with 2S when I steer quickly left and right, the car never shuts down. The ESC also doesn't show any signs of errors (lights are just off) and is cool.
    Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    what tx&rx are you using? how many c is the 3s?
    my 7.5 bl system would loose power when using junk batts come to find out the rx wasnt getting enought power and it would reset it self . maybe the bec (battery Eliminating circuit) on ezrun not up for the task of lights, bl ect...
    castle selld external bec for less than 25 bucks or novak sells sumthing called a glitch buster for less than 15 if ya dont get yours figured out either of them would help
    Slash, Rustler VXl, Summit, erevo, lots of non trx

RC Champion
    ******* 20C/3000 mah.. that's more than enough power. if the BEC was at fault, it'd happen with 2S even more.

I know exactly what your problem is. It is most likely a BEC issue. My Castle Sidewinder had the exact to the T problem you are having. Mine only did this on 3s lipo.

Here's my thread. I made a video of what mine was doing. Watch it and see if it is similar.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=523971

It also wouldn't do it more with 2s as it is easier for the BEC to step it down from 7.4v to 6v to power the Rx. Stepping down from 11.1v to 6v is where it will act up.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 06-11-2010 at 07:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Nope, it only does it while I am on full throttle, it doesn't stick or fail when I just wiggle the steering.. I did try a 2070 servo to make sure it's not the servo, and I get the same results.

Well ok you ruled out the servo if it does it with 2 different servos. So try a different Rx if you can. If it does it with a different Rx then you know it's either an ESC or BEC issue.

RC Champion
    I can't try another Rx, but I did order a ******* UBEC now and will try that out.