Thread: 1/8 shocks

RC Racer

1/8 shocks

Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been with installing the 1/8 shocks. I just got mine installed today, but it's been raining and I probably won't be able to test on a dry track for a couple of days. Let me know if you think it was worth it.

This thread got me started on this path to upgrading to 1/8 shocks.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=522068

Last edited by ksoul; 06-11-2010 at 12:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ksoul, looks great! Congrats on pulling the trigger and going with them. I know you're looking to get others opinions on this mod. But after having almost an entire month on them, I'm still as happy I did it as I was the day I put them on. One thing I did a little differently is that I used the holes furthest out on the RPM arms, this gives the shocks a little more of an angle and not as straight up and down as yours in their current set up. But that's something that you can play with. What shock oil did you end up using? I really look forward to your impressions once you get a few sessions on them! Good Luck!
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Racer
    Thanks, I used traxxas 30wt oil front and back since I have 3 unopened bottles of them from prior purchases. I will try to play around with the position of the shocks. Do you have them all to on the furthest hole for front and back? I am also waiting on the green and red springs.
    Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    I've been also using 2.0 shocks on my 4X4 mounted just to the shock towers with great results. Red springs in the front and silvers in the rears. 40 weight 54 pistons front and 25 weight 56 pistons rear. I use Losi shock oil and there is no preload on the front or rears. I had two truggy expert drivers take my 4X4 around the track today and they both agreed that the truck could give truggies a run for their money. My diff oils are 7/10/3, f/c/r.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Qualifier
    what is the actual advantage of "upgrading" to 1/8 shocks ?

to me it just looks nice.
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Qualifier
    So, where did the body mount posts go?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Racer
    MVB- I think (my guess without any data to back it up= opinion). The bigger shocks will handle bigger bumps and jumps better. Better handling since it's bigger it can handle the weight of the car better than the smaller stock or traxxas big bores.
    Less bent shafts since the shocks are beefier.
    We'll see once I get to test these babies, but again it's raining....

CraigV- Good question...looks like the pics I took was before I screwed the body mounts back on, but they go on as normal.

RC Champion
    Can someone give me the rundown on what towers will fit for these shocks?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    I did ten-t shocks on mine. Perfect fit and they helped handling a lot.

RC Racer
    I have been using Losi 8ight buggy shocks for a while and for me they have been working great. I used modified STRC aluminum shock towers where I added an extension that allows me to run the Losi shocks in the stock location. So I can run the shocks angled in more for more progressive feel, rather than straight up which makes the shocks less progressive. The larger shocks handle better, absorb energy better, are more consistant and stronger, mostly because of there larger oil volume and more surface area of the larger seal/shaft. Larger shafts also make them stronger, the downside is they are slightly heavier and require mods to the suspension. I run a lot of droop (to lower my center of gravity for racing) so I need suspension that works better with less down travel and slightly more up travel.

Thats what I had in mind shark! How much of a rise is the mounting location? Is the the difference in overall shock length? Thats how I planned to make my components.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...