RC poster

Proline Powerstroke springs

Just seeing if anyone has purchased the new spring sets for the Proline shocks? Are they worth the coin?

RC Qualifier
    I have. I think they're pretty sweet giving a lot of different options, but I think a lot of those options are unusable. I tried one of the "optimum soft" rates by mixing the stiffest short springs with the softest long springs and had to add so much preload to keep even a low ride height that it was ridiculous. Like so much that the springs would almost hit coil bind at full compression before it would hit the bumpstop on the shock shaft. It allowed full compression and droop, but there was just too much preload needed. There are like five softer settings than that as well, all of which are useless, at least on this truck. And trying to use the soft shorties with any of the stiffer longs doesn't work very well either, as any preload just takes out any compression the shorty may have had, leaving you with just the rate of the long spring.

I'm setup right now using the red(stiffest) shorties and the green(soft) longs, which is one of the "optimum medium" rates. It's a little more linear than the stock springs and a little softer as well. I'm going to try it out on my local really bumpy track at practice after work tomorrow.
    Last edited by turbowop; 06-10-2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    Here are some pics...all shots are of the truck at full weight minus body dropped from about 14".

With the stiff shorties and super soft longs...look how much preload was required to keep it at that ride height, which is low:

And with the stiff shorties and soft longs:

Last edited by turbowop; 06-10-2010 at 01:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Bah! I need some Powerstrokes!
    MERV/MMP/1112 1y/4s
    Slash 4x4/MMM/2650/4s/5s

RC Competitor
    something just dosent look right, are you sure you have the right springs in the right places, thats an awful lot of pre load

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sewerdog
    are you sure you have the right springs in the right places

You can see in the pics the springs are assembled correctly. It's not rocket science. They're just too soft. Perhaps if the free length was longer, they would work.

RC Enthusiast
    What cvd's are you using? are those RPM A-arms? I had to do the same preload with my PL's.

RC Qualifier
    Tekno CVD's. And yes, RPM arms.

You had to add that much preload with the softer springs, or with the springs the Powerstrokes come with?

RC Enthusiast
    The softer new ones from PL.

I do not see how you are using rpm arms with Tekno's.
    Ours do not work because the rpm's are to short. It causes the tekno setup to bind ungodly.

See pic.

RC Competitor
    Yeah... obviously the 2x4 arm in the comparison pic because there is no sway bar hole. You don't have to dremel the correct arm either.

RC Qualifier
    My RPM arms have the same dimensions as the stock ones. You have the wrong ones.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll be, your right on the money. I went and looked at all the packages of A-arms from RPM and they all say " for Traxxas Slash"

Heading to lhs now to see why they sent us all these.

Thank you for pointing that out

Watch the language and watch for *s.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have the optional spring pack and I'm using the soft longs and the medium short springs,it feels much better then the stock springs. The stock short springs are far to soft and compress completely at normal ride height. I still need to do some more testing and tuning but we must keep in mind that the long spring are for soaking up those big landings and the small springs are for all those little bumps in the track.
    In Got We Trust

RC Qualifier
    Those are Slash 2x4 RPM a-arms because I too have the RPm a-arms on my wife's Slash 4x4 and they are the proper length and have all the right holes. Those also have the rear toe-in built into the a-arm where the Slash 4x4 has the rear toe-in built in the chassis.

RC Competitor
    how are those new springs working out any good combo advice

RC Racer
    I'm using 50wt front green long, yellow short...working good! Rear 45wt green long, red short.I'm not sure about the rear yet.I've tried yellow short also.It's really bumpy and acouple of large jumps where I race and I'm not sure if I need more or less rebound on the rear yet.

RC poster
    are there any options to the proline springs for the powerstrokes?