RC Champion

Water + Lipo..can they be 'friends'??

I've always been told that it's a definite NO-NO to run Lipos in the wet. Well just last weekend I was forced to run Lipo in the wet... by some endless hustling from fellow RC owners at the time. There were VXL Pede, stock Emaxxes and a stock Slash. Being a prudent guy, I objected at that moment, only to be called,,,err harsh slank word, beginning with 'P' for being a coward.

But to my surprise nothing shorted out, not even the -rumored to be waterproof- Ezrun brushless system. The chassis was hardly visible under that mud. But I didn't want to push my luck and decided not to try another run.

I'm wondering if you guys have any experience running Lipos in the wet? If so please share them, good or bad! And is it possible to protect Lipo from water? I'm not talking about dunking it in water..but casual "friendly" splashes. I was thinking Outerwear shroud for Slash, but it's rather steep.

High powered mud running with brushless and Lipo in a Slash is like watching bikini mud wrestling!!! Intoxicating....now that's adult stuff in the RC world I tell ya, minors please look away
    Last edited by Out of Sight; 06-09-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Champion
    Lithium reacts violently with water, but since the cells are airtight, no water can get to them. What CAN happen is that the contacts and solder spots corrode some, but the batteries don't really short out like that in the water. I've run my ***** hardcase batteries several times fully submerged, and snow packed in winter, no issues whatsoever now, several months later.
    You could probably stick the battery in a balloon or plastic bag and ziptie it shut if you want to keep water from getting to it (only with liPo, and only ones strong enough not to heat up when you drive).
    And the ezrun has been submerged too, although i did give it two layers of plasti-dip.. it does have a rubber seal around the edge of the plastic case as well, though.

RC Champion
    What's a plasti-dip? Sorry, I'm not familiar with some products you guys use in the States

I'm currently using a hardcase lipo, with 3 holes on the top for the banana plugs. Is there a way I can make it totally waterproof while still be able to remove the plugs? perhaps something that resembles those rubber caps found on car's sparkplugs.

RC Champion
    I'm not from the states either, you can get it i.e. on ebay.. it's basically liquid rubber that dries to a thin, continuous layer.. you dip the item into it and let it dry to coat it.
    You can't waterproof hardcase lipos like that, since you just can't get a complete seal without also making it impossible to remove the plugs.. plus, the hardcase itself is not usually fully waterproof, as it's stuck together with glue every few cm, not all around. Sticking it in a bag or balloon is the best bet there.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight

I'm wondering if you guys have any experience running Lipos in the wet? If so please share them, good or bad! And is it possible to protect Lipo from water? I'm not talking about dunking it in water..but casual "friendly" splashes.
    The very first time I ever ran a LiPo, I got it pretty well soaked.

I got my first LiPo in February. I was real anxious to try it out, so I bundled up and took my Rustler to one of my usual parking lots. It was after dark, and it had been snowing in the previous days, but the lot was plowed and dry - or so I thought.

I was running the truck around, awestruck at the power increase over the 7-cell NiMH I had been using previously. What I didn't realize until after I had finished running was that I had repeatedly driven through a few big puddles. When I drove the truck back to me and took the body off, I found my new LiPo sitting in a lake that had accumulated in the battery bay.

I immediately took it out and dried it off. Aside from the stickers on the outside of the soft case disintegrating a bit, the battery was completely unharmed, and it's running as strong as ever today.

So that was my very first experience with LiPo power. Although my battery is fine, you'll still never hear me say that it's okay to get them wet, and not to be concerned about it.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    if you have a hard case lipo w/o the banana plugs they are easy to waterproof. you just silicon around the wires and do plasti-dip around the case seam.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Champion
    So I decided to silicone all the seams around the battery case...and plug in the banana plugs and apply silicone around the cable. This will make it semi permanent, but I was thinking there's no real need to unplug the cables anyway,I have one set for each lipo that I own.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ive had my 2s' completely sumberged in my MERV and they came out fine..
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion

There's a Lipo in there somewhere...

RC Champion
    Don't mean to bump this thread, and in respond to Super Dude's post ...I just need to verify that with proper care, Lipo can survive this. A friend took this picture while I was at the pit. There's a Lipo beneath that thick mud sundae, and the Ezrun BL system.

All this mud added around 2 lbs on the chassis..the truck was so heavy it bottomed out when dropped from less than a foot.

RC Racer
    been driving through mud, snow, rain, and showering my gear including the lipo itself after each run for over years with NO PROBLEM so far. Plasti-dip is one **** of a solution if you ever doubt. Otherwise you can silicon seal the whole thing all around. I would still NOT suggest you dive into SEA - SALT WATER hence that is another case.
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eylemkaan
    I would still NOT suggest you dive into SEA - SALT WATER hence that is another case.
    Especially since that is how you're supposed to deliberately kill them.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    Especially since that is how you're supposed to deliberately kill them.
    well said

I didn't make it clear enough ha
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year