RC Racer

Slash 2x4 vs. 4x4??

Is the 2x4 just as fun as the 4x4? I've never owned a electric r/c nor have I owned a 2x4 before. I've been out of this hobby for about 5 to 6 years, and as I remember 4x4 is always more funnier.

Here's another question, what mades the slash so popular? Back then it was all about the revo and t-maxx. I really want to get a 4x4 slash but I can't seem to justify the price on it compare to the 2x4.

Here's my last question, if I get a 2x4 and then decide later on I want to convert it to a 4x4. Is that possible, and if so what part would I need? Thanks!

RC Champion
    2WD drives differently, you can do a lot more skidding/sliding/drifting with 2WD than with 4WD. Also, the Slash 2WD is pretty simple in its construction, and due to that, very sturdy.. not many complicated parts, so spares are cheap and quickly replaced.

RC Champion
    conversion is not possible.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Racer
    ^^ I see. So it's just one or the other huh? What does most people on here prefer anyways? 2 wheels or 4 wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Arakon
    2WD drives differently, you can do a lot more skidding/sliding/drifting with 2WD than with 4WD. Also, the Slash 2WD is pretty simple in its construction, and due to that, very sturdy.. not many complicated parts, so spares are cheap and quickly replaced.
    Makes sense about cheap parts, but what about better handling. I'm assuming if your just bashing around the 2 wheel would be more funnier.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-08-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast

2wd

With the 2WD you will use less batteries then the 4WD and the 2WD handles very well off road.

Cord

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats a little misleading Cord23.

The battery tray is the same size, they both use 1 battery.

However, apples to apples, you'll probably have less run time on a 4wd.

I'll add that the 2wd truck is a very capable platform, and is just as quick as the 4wd is nearly all situations. Go read the 4x forum, I get the feeling there are more issues on that platform.

I've driven both, and they both have their strengths.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-08-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    their both pretty cool so your choice really is going what driving style would you prefer. although if you get the 2wd you got some more money for accessories.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have had both. I hated the 4X4... it definetly out handled the 2X4 and on a track im willing to bet it would be faster, but it was so SLOW. With the VXL system you had to gear it down so far so it wouldent overheat that it just wouldent go fast enough to keep me entertained. I gave up on it and bought a 2X4, put i a VXL system and havent looked back. The 2X4 takes alot more fines to keep straight. Especially with the VXL on 3S lipo but the challenge is part of the fun.
    Also, the 2X4 is so simple and easy to work on. Its ultra durable and parts are very very availiable because they are shared with the rustler/pede platforms.
    The reality of it is simply this, if you want a 4X4 truck and plan to race, get the slash 4X4... if you want a 4X4 and plan to bash, look at an Emaxx. If you jsut want a low price, durable, fast and tough truck and dont care about 2 or 4 wheel drive get the slash 2X4. Ive converted mine to a monster slash with 30 series tires and wheels and I love it. But... as always, its up to you.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    i really dont think you can compare the two. each person will think one is better than the other. although i like them equally for different reasons. sometimes i want to use the 2wd and sometimes i want to run the 4x4.

so you will have to drive both (find a friend who has each) and decide for yourself.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Racer
    Enlighten me please...

CL has a traxxas slash 2x4 for $150 with a 21 turn motor and 7.2v 6 cell 3300mah. My local hobby store has a brand new one for $220 with 12 turn.
    Should I get the used one for a cheaper price, if suck it up and just get a new one instead. How much of a difference is the 21 turn motor compare to the 12 turn motor. I'm very new to electric r/c. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4
    i really dont think you can compare the two. each person will think one is better than the other. although i like them equally for different reasons. sometimes i want to use the 2wd and sometimes i want to run the 4x4.

so you will have to drive both (find a friend who has each) and decide for yourself.
    As someone has mention the 2wd you can skid, and drift with it. Looking from the traxxas video on the slash the 2wd looks more funnier. But it looks like a learning curve on how to drive it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-08-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: merge

I think it might be a typo on that 21turn motor. Its likely a 12turn. Honestly, if the used one is in really nice shape id go with that and use the extra money to upgrade it. But be careful, if the used one is in rough shape it could cost more to fix it up properly than you saved buying it used. The nice thing about buying the used one (given its condition) is that you can use the money to put on the parts you want right away and keep the old parts as spares. If you wanted to go with a bigger set of wheels and tires, for example, you could get them right off the bat instead of waiting longer. BUT... it always feels good to buy something brand new. I love that feeling you get when you first open the box.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    I have had both. I hated the 4X4... it definetly out handled the 2X4 and on a track im willing to bet it would be faster, but it was so SLOW. With the VXL system you had to gear it down so far so it wouldent overheat that it just wouldent go fast enough to keep me entertained. I gave up on it and bought a 2X4, put i a VXL system and havent looked back. The 2X4 takes alot more fines to keep straight. Especially with the VXL on 3S lipo but the challenge is part of the fun.
    Also, the 2X4 is so simple and easy to work on. Its ultra durable and parts are very very availiable because they are shared with the rustler/pede platforms.
    The reality of it is simply this, if you want a 4X4 truck and plan to race, get the slash 4X4... if you want a 4X4 and plan to bash, look at an Emaxx. If you jsut want a low price, durable, fast and tough truck and dont care about 2 or 4 wheel drive get the slash 2X4. Ive converted mine to a monster slash with 30 series tires and wheels and I love it. But... as always, its up to you.
    When I was looking at the slash at my local hobby shop I also noticed that the 2x4 has really less parts compare to most r/c cars. (Coming from a nitro revo owner) Parts will be a lot cheaper to replace. Like most traxxas owner in here I just want to know a few things. What motor will make it fast, and what speed control and batteries do I need to support that.

RC Racer
    I have both a 4x2 and a 4x4 and I have to agree with a few posts but also disagree. The 4x4 is a lot easier to drift seeing as how it has two wheels to pull it through the corners as the rear are breaking loose. The 4x2 drives loose during hard cornering on dirt and more of a handful to control it's more of a throttle finesse truck than the 4x4. Basically both trucks can be a finesse truck but it all depends on your driving style. So it all comes down to personal preference.
    I Have Discovered That Going Crazy Can Be Fun

RC Racer
    Okay so I took the plunge today and bought a brand new 2x4 slash. I figure I'm going to keep it for awhile so why not get it brand right? I'll post up pictures later if anyone cares..

RC Racer
    Welcome to the world of slash short course mania
    I Have Discovered That Going Crazy Can Be Fun

You wont be disappointed. Congratulations.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I'm itching for a upgrade motor already. Any recommendation??? I'm thinking for fast.

RC Champion
    Have you actually ran it? The stock Titan is good starting point with stock tires. Once you've managed to control that wiggly rear end, it's time to step up the game. Most will recommend brushless + Lipo..and I'm one of that 'most' LOL...
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Racer
    What brushless and lipo would you recommending? Also what brushless and lipo are you running?

RC Champion
    Personally I would run Sidewinder esc and VXL brushless motor..but since, where I live, those systems cost almost twice to what they cost in the States, I went with the reasonably priced Ezrun 8.5t 4000kv combo system. Traxxas purists hate it for some reasons but I love it! Some guys here in the forum also run it. My batt is 5200mah 25C 2s hardcase Lipo, from H-Energy.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Champion
    I'm also running the ezrun kit. It was cheap (~110$ shipped) and it works just fine, with lots of programming options, and the motor brings it up to speed very well.

Id look on the forums for a VXL system that was taking out of someones new truck. Theres lots of them around for about $120-$130. Just my suggestion. That way the truck stays waterproof, if thats at all important to you.
    I run a VXL in my slash MT and really like it. Im running 3S lipo but have MT tires. If your just starting out with a brushless setup id start with a good 2 cell lipo, no less than 20c and as high MAH as you can afford. With a VXL system and a battery like this youll be very impressed.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    get what you can afford both the 2wd and 4wd are excellent vehicles traxxas builds a very durable truck and it can take a beating parts a very reasonable and available almost everywhere.....get one our both and have fun......

RC Racer
    The VXL system sounds promising. How fast is the 12t compare to the vxl brushless? I know the 12t claims around 30 mph out of the box. What about the vxl system? I'm fully aware of better tires and batteries as well.

Oh man, the titan doesnt do 30mph. Maybe with the fastest gearing ever on a slight downslope.. hehe.
    The VXL is just stupid fast. Thats all I can say. If your comparing the titan to a VXL its not even worth comparing. A VXL will blow your mind.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I have both, so far more fun and less problems with the 2wd.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    Get the VXL system. You wont be disapointed. Plus you get Traxxas' top notch support. If you have any problems you can just call and they will help you fix it or send you a brand new one.
    Glad to here you got the 2x4. There is just more opportunity for breakdown with the 4x4.
    Trust me...I'm a Doctor

RC Champion
    Oh man, the titan doesnt do 30mph. Maybe with the fastest gearing ever on a slight downslope.. hehe.
    The VXL is just stupid fast. Thats all I can say. If your comparing the titan to a VXL its not even worth comparing. A VXL will blow your mind.

you may not think it does but it does. i had mine gps'd with 25/86 gearing at 34mph. it actually got their quick. but, i still hate that motor with a passion.

sidewinder esc and vxl is awesome. no complaints there.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

But I said it could, just not without some effort. I would not recommend running a titan setup for 30+ MPH. Im not arguing with you, I think we both agree.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Monstaa
    Get the VXL system. You wont be disapointed. Plus you get Traxxas' top notch support. If you have any problems you can just call and they will help you fix it or send you a brand new one.
    Glad to here you got the 2x4. There is just more opportunity for breakdown with the 4x4.
    Got the VXL, wicked fast and no regrets. About 5 mph faster than the 4x4 (very noticable) on the same battery
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    Already I'm tired of the 12t motor. It's just too slow in my opinion. I'll probably upgrade to the vxl soon. The traxxas trade in program is grade. Even thought I won't be saving much, 20 bucks off is decent.

RC Racer
    Sad how traxxas would state that. It's false advertisement if the slash can't do 30 mph out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4
    you may not think it does but it does. i had mine gps'd with 25/86 gearing at 34mph. it actually got their quick. but, i still hate that motor with a passion.

sidewinder esc and vxl is awesome. no complaints there.
    I'm assuming your running the Titan 12t motor. I'm also assuming your gearing aren't stock? Sorry I'm a newie.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kouasupra
    I'm assuming your running the Titan 12t motor. I'm also assuming your gearing aren't stock? Sorry I'm a newie.
    Stock gearing is 18/86 he is running 25/86. like he and others have said too much gearing to run on a Titan for any longevity and reliability.

Here's my gps speeds on my 2wd Slash's

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray
    Stock gearing is 18/86 he is running 25/86. like he and others have said too much gearing to run on a Titan for any longevity and reliability.

Here's my gps speeds on my 2wd Slash's
    How are you keeping the front from lifting up on a high speed pass. I've tried getting on the throttle slowly until it picks up speed. Once my slash is getting enough speed it decides to flip on me.. haha

Man, I love this vxl, lipo setup.

RC Qualifier
    So I own a 2wd and one of my buddies let me use his 4x4 in a race this weekend. I must say I really didn't see too much of a difference in the two when it comes to handling. Here are some of my comparisons:

Advantages 2wd:
    More fluid through turns
    Jumps good without kick up in the rear end on small jumps
    No front wheels to jerk you around after a jump
    easy on maintenance

Disadvantages 2wd:
    light in the front end
    can spin out a lot if you don't have good throttle control
    must spend more money to get it race ready
    stock suspension is not as tunable as the 4x4

Advantages 4x4:
    Can cut through turns faster because of 4wd
    more tunable suspension
    good power out of the box

Disadvantages:
    Always comes off of little jumps nose heavy or always kicks up in the rear
    having the 4wd can help but be bad when turning because the front wheels wants to pull you in another direction
    more stuff can break

Overall I like both trucks and like the way both drive. The comparison is my own opinion and someone else will have a totally different aspect on the matter. They just have different things about them that set them apart in their own ways. Either way you go you can't go wrong.