RC Qualifier

evx-2 up in smoke... why??

so I just got a new fancy servo for my summit and I was going to try it out for the first time, my truck is running with an LVC and two 7.4v lipos, the motor was not connected to the esc, so this is what I did...
    1. I turn on the transmitter
    2. I plug one lipo in
    3. I plug the other lipo in
    4. zap! part of the esc cord went up in smoke
    I didn't even turn the esc on, when I plugged the other batt in it fried this wire

any ideas why this happened? is it because I plugged the batteries into the esc without having the motor connected? thanks for your help
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Racer
    No. Happened to me as well, that my ESC went up in smoke, fried a hole into the casing. It's not your fault. You can't do much wrong because there isn't to much freedom of choice but plug and unplug... Bad luck.

RC Qualifier
    reverse polarity with the new servo or what ? bummer what a shame.

no you should be able to plug in batts without motor being hooked up . in fact your are instructed to do that when recalibrating the throttle. so that was not the cause .

what kind of servo was this new fancy servo ?

RC Qualifier
    would plugging the servo in backward cause it? this is the fancy servo- http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=HITHS7954S it is possible to plug this servo in backwards...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Umm, thats a HV servo, needs 7.4v to run properly ( esc only puts out 6v, if you're lucky & no more than ~3amps, that servo can easily pull 5amps+ )- do you have it running from an external BEC or powered directly by one of the 2s lipos, or is it plugged directly into your rx?

It would be extremely easy to plug the servo in backwards as hitec servos tend not to have 'keyed' rx plugs ( little spine/blade running down one side of the plug )- you have to match the order of the wires to the other rx leads to make sure they all face the same way towards the edge of the rx, in terms of wiring order- the rx case should have markings for +, signal & - ( red,white,black or red,orange,brown )...

I would guess either the servo just ate your esc and/or rx for breakfast, or it was plugged in the wrong way around and shorted the esc's bec out- the esc's rx lead needs fixing so you wont really be able to test it with another servo to be sure..
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 04-01-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    would plugging the servo in backward cause it? this is the fancy servo- http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=HITHS7954S it is possible to plug this servo in backwards...
    That is a great servo but most crawlers that use that have a 7.4v BEC to run the servo and run only the signal wire to the Rx.You might have hooked it up backwards but you would have fried the BEC in the ESC in a short time with that huge amp load.I use the Castle BEC which lets you set the volts where you want for the servo's needs and will supply up to 10 amps.

RC Qualifier
    I looked at how I wired it up, I didn't plug the servo in backwards, the strange thing is after I plugged the second battery in the black esc wire that was on the esc cord insantly fried and was glowing red before I unplugged the batteries, the esc cord went into my novak lvc but their was no damage to the LVC, it was just that one wire, and yes I did plug the servo directly into the rx box so did my new servo kill the esc? it sounds like it thank you for your help guys

RC Qualifier
    Try the servo in another set up with no load just to make sure the servo is not wired internally wrong.If you are worried about frying the other one just run the signal wire to the Rx and the + & - to a 6-7.4v battery pack.The ground wire fried so power is shorting it out somewhere,could be the ESC let go or servo is bad.You almost have to rule out the servo in some sort of test so you do not risk another ESC,Rx or the whole truck.

RC Enthusiast
    i have one i dont use fs if you need a new one

RC Qualifier
    It might have had an internal short circuit
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4