Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

New Project "Slash RR"

I love my Ofna 1/8 onroad car but im done with nitro so its for sale. But I love the size and look of this car. As I was looking at it the other day I got the idea to use my huge pile of spare parts, along with some extra stuff and embark on a project im calling the Slash RR or Road Race. Heres a pic of my inspiration:

Ive very roughly fitted my Protoform PF8 1/8 onroad body to my Slash chassis with a Protrac kit and front offset stampede wheels. It looks to me like this setup will be a perfect fit.

Ive put in an order with tower for a slash chassis, a protrac kit and a new PF8 body. I have all the other parts I need to put it together including a spare VXL system. Im using a set of Proline 30 series wheels (which are now discontinued) and a set of proline 30 series road rage tires (which I already have) and the offset should put the wheels and tires in exactly the right spot to fit the body.

Im going to lower the suspension using fuel tubing inside the shock by about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch depending on how it looks. For now, the truck will stay completely stock other than the parts listed. No aluminum or any extras. If it works, my plan is to outfit it with a full set of Venom aluminum parts. They are cheap and since this thing will be for onroad only they dont need to be excessively strong, though I hear the venom stuff is actually quite good.
    The final step... if all this works, would be to add an LCG chassis. I like the slice and slice B... I like the idea of having the motor in the center but I dont know about spinning a VXL backwards so this is something ill have to look at later.
    The order has been placed with tower and im home from my holidays this saturday. So, I can see myself getting into this project on sunday and ill update with pics as I go.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    gonna be a sweet project man! watching this for sure

RC Qualifier
    this is going to be SWEET! Subcribed!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Competitor
    Works pretty good as a 1/8 dirt late model too

MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

Got home from my vacation today and just couldent stand looking at that project waiting for me so I started it right away. Heres pics of the progress so far. I didnt take pics as I went, anyone can bolt on a protrac kit or a set of wheels. But at this point you can get a feel for how it may turn out.

Heres my pile of parts. I had alot more bits and pieces to make this work but these are the big parts.

The next 3 pics are of the chassis, completed with the protrac kit installed, shocks lowered about 3/4 of an inch with fuel tubing and the Proline 30 series wheels and tires installed. I think it looks super mean even at this stage.

This last pic if of the body just forced over the wheels. The body is not trimmed at all. I just wanted to get a feel for roughly how it was going to fit. Looks like its going to work good.

Tomorrow im going to try to get the power system completed and the rolling chassis done. Wheels and tires glued and the body at least trimmed. MAYBE get to the first stages of paint if I have time. But getting the body mounted is my immediate goal for now.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Got the rest of the car done today. Body trimmed, electronics all mounted up. Castor and camber are set for now. I had to get a bit creative with the body mounts but they work excellent combining some HPI RS4 parts along with some Traxxas parts.
    Heres some pics with the body mounted:

Body is being painted as I type this and later tonight im going to glue the wheels and tires. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon ill have the whole thing ready to go for a test run. Ill have pics up tonight of the painted body installed.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    It looks awesome! I cant wait to see the finished product. You might want to add a foam bumper or something of the sort.
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC poster
    looks like a cool project. the thing looks mean down in the weeds . keep posting pics. good luck..

RC Competitor
    It looking good, but it deserves a LCG chassis...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

LCG is commin if it works good. I dont want to spend to much if its not going to work the way I want it to. Ill do the full aluminum treatment and LCG if its fun to drive. The way it sits now, its just a slash with a protrac kit. It could be put back to a stock slash in about 30 minutes.
    Heres some pics of the completed car. All thats left now is to glue the tires and give the edges of the body a quick sanding with the dremmel.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Ive always wanted a road car, but frowned upon their rediculous prices, and the fact that traxxas only makes a nitro one... Or do they?
    I wanna make myself one of these... they could be so versatile!

That paint looks pretty awesome btw
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

Ill update on how it actually works when I get a chance to run it. Ill be running it only on 3S so it should be fast. Im running 32p gearing also so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Easy enough to make one of these and it really doesnt cost much. I think you could easily do the same thing with Anacondas.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Why did you put on a protrac kit if it is a onroad car?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    That makes me want to turn one of my Slash's into a road car that is so awesome! I'm contemplating making my E 4Tec a full time rally truck. What is wrong with us? Why must we change everything? Oh yeah, BECAUSE WE CAN!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER
    That makes me want to turn one of my Slash's into a road car that is so awesome! I'm contemplating making my E 4Tec a full time rally truck. What is wrong with us? Why must we change everything? Oh yeah, BECAUSE WE CAN!!
    EXACTLY!

Thats one of the things I love most about traxxas vehicles. Because all the parts are so interchangeable you can make just about anything out of all the pieces depending on how you put them together.

Rustyslash: I used a protrac kit because it adds 10mm per side to the width of the vehicle. I needed that extra width to get the wheels out to teh sides of the body. Otherwise they would have been tucked up inside too far. The way it is now they stick out just a bit, which isnt idea either. But its better than having them way back inside.

Took this thing out for a test run on my road tonight. I have a few clearance issues with the tires. They balloon quite a bit so when I start a run everything is fine, but the faster I go the more they rub until they actually begin to distort the body. IM thinking a set of 17mm adapters and wheels and tires from a Kyosho GT2 would be the ticket. Same setup as my Ultra GTP in the pic at the start of this thread. I have new wheels and tires here but will need the adapters. I just wonder what set of adapters will get me to almost the same outer width as the wheels im running now. Integy adapters are long, others are shorter. Might need to try a few to see whats best.

Other than this issue it seems to handle extremely well. A set of swaybars would probably be a great addition and stiffer springs. Also, the way the battery is mounted now is all the way to the rear of the battery tray. Im going to move it forward next time. I think the extra weight over the front will be a good thing. This is definitely the first time ive ever seen a 1/8 onroad car pull a wheelie though. It lifts the front wheels in the air when I take off too fast.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 06-06-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    That thing would look SICK pulling a wheelie...
    I saw someone in the 4x4 gallery thread that had a Lancia Delta body...
    That would also look pretty sweet doing a wheelie lol

At the lhs a guy mounted anacondas to buggy rims for his on road nitro 4wd ofna buggy project. Handled like it was on rails. Just a thought....
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks sweet! Keep it rollin
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Enthusiast
    That looks pretty sick. Let us know how the runs go.
    --Jon ಠ_ಠ
    Backbajr~NitroStampede~BrushlessEmaxx

RC Qualifier
    we need a vid!
    SlashVXL-ERBE-Slash4x4PE-RustlerVXL-1/16SlashSW2

RC Qualifier
    very cool man. looks sick
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

Ive got it working to the point where a vid might be in order as soon as the pavement here dries up. Supposed to be nice tomorrow so maybe tomorrow afternoon. I had to put shock limiters for both up and down travel in the rear and I had to make a new front body mount.
    The PF8 body has a long nose and the distance between the stock slash front mount and the nose of the body was too long, it allowed the body to flex and hit the ground on bumps or at high speeds. So I took an RPM rustler bumper, turned it upside down and screwed straight body posts through those strange holes on the far tips of the RPM bumper. Works perfect.
    The only issue I still have now is the rear tires balloon too much and rub the body at full throttle. Other than that, it seems to work great. Ill put some laps on it around a parking lot when I can and see how it handles. Stay tuned.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    i know it can throw balance off on the tires but did you use tape inside your rears?

No, I didn't tape them. I've never actually taped tires but I wish I had on this car. I'm not %100 sure how this project is going to end up anyway. I tend to build stuff just to see if I can, then sell it when I get it working. I can see this happening to the slash rr at some point. I'm going to need to fund a Titan boat soon.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=pavmentsurfer] I'm going to need to fund a Titan boat soon.[/QU
    for sure. i'm not really a boat guy but the titan looks awesome in the video.

RC Qualifier
    yeah when you get a new set of wheels and tired tape the inside of the tires so they dont ballon. its crazy what taping can do.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

Did a few more test runs today and solved a few more issues. The PF8 body is super wide and quite thick so its a bit heavier than a slash body. This causes the stock slash rear body mount to flex alot and that allowed the body to contact the tires on bumps or hard cornering. I built a new body mount using the lower portion of the stock mount and a piece of L channel aluminum. Its super stiff now so the problem is now gone.
    The car now runs full speed with only very minor wheel rub on the body when it hits bumps, theres almost no contact under normal running. BUT... Ive found another interesting issue I didnt expect.
    Because the slash chassis is so rear heavy, has so much power on 3S and it quite top heavy in stock form the car wants to pull the front wheels up. It wont wheelie from a dead stop, but at 3/4 throttle if I hit it hard it lightens the front wheels enough to allow air under the body. The body is so big it just lifts off like a wing. Ive lowered the front body mount a bit and that helped alot. At easy full throttle runs its not a problem, only when you stab it at 3/4 or so. Under normal running its not an issue but it was pretty crazy to see the car just take off into the air.
    Other than these few things im really happy with how this thing works. It handles pretty well but could benefit from a WAY farther forward battery mount or some weight up front. Its really fast and looks excellent. Ill hopefully be able to get a video tonight after my wife gets home from work and ill post up some pics of the body mounts as they are now. I think im dont with this project now. Ive got it to where it works the way I hoped it would.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

If there was ever an application that needs/deserves a LCG chasis this is it. Especially if you ever wanted to keep up with other on road cars.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

AND an aluminum tranny. I agree dad. I was just trying to do this project on as much of a budget as possible. I really dont have any use for this car and am likely going to sell it very soon. I just wanted to see if it could be done... at least done well. Anything can be hacked together. I wanted to see if a slash could be converted into a 1/8 electric onroad car in a way that worked well. An LCG chassis, 1/8 onroad tires and wheels with 17mm adapter and an aluminum tranny would make this car into a really impressive ride. Im not going to invest whats needed though, ive got my eyes set on a Titan boat. But its been fun while its lasted with the RR.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Heres the pics of the final setup. Enjoy:

I know 2 tires are mounted backwards. That was just a total brain fart. I have 2 more 30 series road rage tires and 2 more rims on their way so i can mount them up correctly.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys all think this thing is worth as it sits, everything included except a radio? I could even throw in a venom 4000mah 3S lipo thats brand new. Just want to get a feel for what I should be thinking if I do sell it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Love the way you mounted the front body mounts.

Is it just me, or do those holes on the tips of an RPM bumper not look like they were MEANT to have body posts sticking out of them? Ive always thought that and finally got a chance to try it.

Heres the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncHP8Nn7mQ

Quality is currently being processed so it will get more "hi-def-ish" when youtube is done with it.
    After all my fiddling around this thing works awesome. Its for sale, but I love it. I wish I had enough room in my fleet to keep everything but if I want that Titan, I have to thin the herd.
    Anyway, enjoy the vid.
    Pave
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: merge
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Haha, nice ringtone...
    That thing is *****... You don't realize how fast it can really go until that firt time you really hit full-ish speed and hear how high pitched the motor gets

RC Racer
    that is one BA drifting machine!

you not use 4x4 chassis.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

No, I already had all the parts to build this as a 2X4... all I needed was the chassis, Protrac kit, body and tires. Everything else was brand new in my spare parts box.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    That was sweet.
    Nitro Rustler, Revo 3.3, Slash
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I say again, awesome car! As for value, in my experience, you never get the $$ back that you spent on upgrading or creating a custom RC. I've sold a few on EBay and Craig's List and I usually end up frustrated or not selling because no one hits the reserve price. Yours is pretty unique, so maybe you'll come out ahead. Good luck on the sale....
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Yeah, think I have a plan to put this thing back to a basically stock slash roller (no wheels though) and sell the VXL system separately. Then ill just have the body and wheels and tires sitting here with no home. But I have lots of that stuff laying around anyway. No big deal.

O.K. so another update for anyone whos still interested in this thing. I decided to sell it, but got no interest and realized that I had to much into it with the protrac kit to just give it away... and I wanted the protrac kit for my stampede anyway. So, I took it all apart and put the chassis back to bone stock. Stock shock tower, stock camber links, stock arms... stock everything.
    I was going to put the shocks back to full length again and sell the truck as a slash roller but as it was sitting on my floor I got curious as to how the body would fit with the 4 front offset wheels and stock arms so I put the modified body mounts and 30 series wheels on it and fitted the body back up and WOW... THIS is the perfect setup. The tires are under the body now the way a 1/8 car should be and there is NO wheel rub at all. It looks just like my real OFNA Ultra GTP 2 1/8 onroad car looks. So I took it out for a spin just to see how it went. Man, its amazing. This thing is super fun. I upped the gearing to 17/54 and its crazy fast. So fast that it will blow over at full throttle if you hit even the tinyiest bump and air gets under the body at all. It will also wheelie at 3/4 throttle on 3S and flip over. It takes some control to drive.
    With this gearing it generates more heat that I would like but if this was a long standing project car or a car someone wanted to build for themselves the 2 things you would do would be an aluminum tranny and an LCG chassis. I think the chassis would stop the air from causing flipping a bit, it would improve the handling even further and the aluminum tranny would allow you to run this gearing all day without any heat issues. A set of sway bars would round out the perfect setup IMO.
    Im still going to sell this car the way it is now (no protrac kit) and I can sell it much cheaper now that its all stock. BUT... if anyone is interested in building one of these cars I think it could easily be done with a set of anacondas, lowered shocks and the 1/8 body of your choice. The custom body mounts are all youd need to fabricate to get it to work just like mine and that only took about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: merge
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ