RC poster

NIMH battery pack life

What is the expected life of a NIMH pack? Using an ONYX peak charger and my 7 cell TRAXXAS pack and my 8 cell John the battery guy pack have both failed. Charging on the 3A setting on the charger. The 8 cell puked after maybe 12 charges and the 7 cell after maybe 25 charges. ***? these batteries are not cheap. Is this normal?

RC Champion
    Probably have 30-40 charges on 2 stk batts @5amp

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    5 amps should not hurt the batteries, right? That's what I am charging on...
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Champion
    Understanding the whole 1c charging thing, would mean its putting in 5amps or 5000ma per hour? or charging the 3500 stk pack in 40min. The AC6 charger seems to have a slight decending rate charge as the batt reaches max, and the nimh takes between 40-55min to charge.

I haven't experianced any downfall yet as I've tried the std wall charger on 1 pack and 5amp on other and in the trucks they run out within 1-3 min of each other
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    I dont think you should charge a 3000mah pack at more than 4amps. Am I correct?

RC Competitor
    i dont think its the charger doing it, i think the truck pulls to much amps off the batteries at once my 7 cell traxxas battery is way to hot to touch when it comes out of my truck so much so that it melted the shrink wrap around it and the plastic around one of the battery cells.

my lipos dont even get to 100f when i run them hard

RC Champion
    I've ran a set of nimh's for over a year. I dont keep track of runs but I would say atleast 5-20 charges a month. They still run fine but they have lost a little capacity. They are promatch racing EnerG 4600 7 cells. You just have to take care of them and they will last a while. Also comparing lipo to nimh really means nothing when it comes to temps. I would put my money on the truck damaging the batteries, not the charger. 3A charge rates wouldnt hurt the battery at all, the truck would blow them up before that ever would.
    Revo, Brushless, 50mph, $800, No You Cant