RC Competitor

slash gets cooked in the car when it is hot?

i sometimes take my slash with me to work, so i can play it during my lunch break. lately, the weather has gotten hot, its around 90 degrees during the daytime. i have my slash in my car, so i would say its probably 100+ degrees inside the car. is that gonna be a problem? nothing is going to melt right??... i usually have my lipo in the truck already, so all i have to do is connect the leads and i am ready to roll. would it be dangerous to leave my lipo in the car since its hot?

can anyone help?
    workbetyou@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by meljones777
    i sometimes take my slash with me to work, so i can play it during my lunch break. lately, the weather has gotten hot, its around 90 degrees during the daytime. i have my slash in my car, so i would say its probably 100+ degrees inside the car. is that gonna be a problem? nothing is going to melt right??... i usually have my lipo in the truck already, so all i have to do is connect the leads and i am ready to roll. would it be dangerous to leave my lipo in the car since its hot?

can anyone help?
    The electronics and plastic should be fine...i would take the lipo out for safety.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    The electronics and plastic should be fine...i would take the lipo out for safety.
    thanks for ur help.

anyone else got a different opinion on this?
    workbetyou@gmail.com

No, I think everything should be fine but batteries. If you can though, It would always be best to take it in. Otherwise, try to park in the shade or put one of the reflective things in your windshield.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    DO NOT leave the lipo in the car.

If it is fully charged, its at 4.2 volts... that is at room temperature.. as the temp of the pack goes up, internal resistance goes down.... as the resistance goes down, the voltage goes up... so at 70-80 degrees, its at 4.2v per cell, at 130-140 (typical temps in a closed car in the summer) the voltage WILL spike and with no release, this WILL cause damage to the pack and could cause failure.

The same thing applies to the batteries in your radio.. but NiMH or alkaline cells have a higher tolerance.. so, I'd take the radio, and lipo into the office...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Competitor
    thanks guys for ur inputs, that was very helpful!!!

i think i will take the radio and the lipo with me into the office!
    workbetyou@gmail.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1
    DO NOT leave the lipo in the car.
    +5000

If it's 90 outside, the temp inside the car is going to way beyond what's safe for the battery - easily reaching the figures DrFizz mentioned.

No, cracking the windows isn't good enough.

I recall some talk here not too long ago about someone who had a LiPo pop from heat in their car. It might have been a link to another forum - not someone on this forum, but that's beside the point.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►