Thread: Shock Problems

RC Champion

Shock Problems

Hello,
    I am currently pretty frustrated with my big bore shocks. I am running stock silicon oil, losi 2.5" 4.1lb springs in the back, and Losi 2.5" 3.7lbs in the front. They started very nice, I was able to tune them to my liking. Then I took them to the track. The first day it was wet. My truck had a fair amount of grime on it. After the run when I pushed the truck down, testing the suspension, it did not come back up at all. I cleaned it up real good, still no dice. The next day they seemed to be back to normal. I just ran it on the track. This time it's dry, and there's hardly any sand on the truck. Same problem. The truck will not come back up to normal height, not even close.
    What's the problem here? I know I'm supposed to run 2" springs in the front, but that doesn't seem to be it...
    Any ideas?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    It's not the shocks. You need to pull out all the suspension hinge pins and clean them with a brillo bad. I also run a pipe cleaner through all the hinge pin holes. Also clean all the ball links with WD40. And then there is the stock axle sliders that tend to collect dirt and bind up. When the suspension components get wet or get dirt into them, it makes the shocks job much harder. Cleaning all those items will restore the plush feel of the suspension.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Champion
    Ahhhh, that all seems very logical now, I will try it...

RC Champion
    Thank you, by the way...
    Little scared though, last time I pulled out the ball links the leaking started...

RC Qualifier
    Don't forget the balls on the camber links and front steering links as well.

I do this before each race. Helps the truck to handle a thousand times better.

RC Champion
    I will too, though I never had this problem with the 2wd, and I noticed it immediately after just one run...

RC Qualifier
    Every RC car I've had in the past 25 years has needed this type of maintenance to keep the suspension smooth. It's certainly not limited to the Slash 4x4.