RC poster

Battery Charger Question

Please help. I think I am okay but the nagging in the back of my mind is driving me nuts.

I have the stock Nimh and two 3s lipos 5400Mah. Every time I charge these batteries they always charge up to the correct voltage which I believe is my main concern because once they are charged and balanced to spec max voltage they are "Full"

Thing is I have this Venom Pro Charger which works really well but the batteries end up reading all over the place as far as the final Mah reading. Like the 5400 can charge to 3500+ and then stop or go up to 5000+ and stop. It is really all over the place.

Am I correct in assuming that Mah reading is just not a good indicator of charge on the battery upon completion and all I should worry about is total voltage per cell cell to know that the batts are fully charged?

RC Competitor
    the amount it takes is will be dependent on how much you run them down i would just make sure that the voltage per cell is 4.2 or so that's usually full charged

RC Champion
    LiPos should "generally" not be discharged past 80% capacity for good health.
    Your 5400 mAh LiPo works out to 4320 mAhs. If you are putting back more than 80% you are not going to get as much longevity out of your packs.

YES 4.18 to 4.20 v per cell is all you need for a fully charged LiPo. Remeber to store at 3.80 - 3.85 v per cell if not using weekly at the least. Storing fully charged causes the internal cell resistance to go up .... hence lowering your C rating and ability to supply AMPS.

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC poster
    Thank you guys!