Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    65

    Mamba Max Pro Smoked

    I've been running the MMP & 5.5T Novak combo for about a month now and have been loving it. Last night I was setting the gear mesh by sound and then all of a sudden sparks and a good puff of smoke. I unplugged my batt and checked all my connections. Everything was correct and the motor was not bound up at all. The ESC still turns on but when I apply throttle it has serious cogging issues and needs a 'kick start' to get moving sometimes. I have read on RCtech that is has happened to quite a few people and I want to know if it has happened to anyone here.

    Geared 14/54
    3s 5000mah batt
    Temps have always been in check

    Is the 5.5T too much for the MMP to handle in the long run?
    In Got We Trust

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasons9
    Is the 5.5T too much for the MMP to handle in the long run?
    Castle Creations doesn't seem to think so at this point. They are currently investigating an issue I reported with my MMPro + Novak HV 5.5 setup. They even put a Novak HV motor into a Slash 4x4 to reproduce my situation exactly. If they believed the Novak HV to be too much for the MMPro to handle, they would not be putting this much effort into resolving my issue.

    If you haven't yet, be sure to call Castle Creations tech support about your problem. Let us know what they say about it.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    466
    I recently got a MMP and paired it with a Kershaw 8L. I was running the offroad track at my LHS on 2s and it was running great. However, after about 15 minutes, I hit a jump and flipped, it landed on it's lid. Almost instantly smoke started pouring out of the truck. Let's just say I was extremely worried. The marshall ran over to it and we both took off the body as fast as possible. We blew on it to try to get the smoke away and figure out what was smoking. It was fortunately the battery, so we grabbed it and threw it on a far away table. It stopped smoking and I disposed of it in salt water.

    Well, that was the end of that 5200mah 30c 2s hardcase from "the site that is now censored". It was only 4 months old.

    Moral of the story... I thought it was my MMP or motor that blew. I'm wondering if the MMP or motor would make it do that? It just seemed weird and I saw your thread on MMP's frying and I thought maybe you guys would know. Maybe it was just a bad battery... I really don't know, but I'm hoping my MMP doesn't go up in smoke anytime soon.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    378
    Offhand I'd say that dkaiser's battery went up because it had a fault from the manufacturer. I'd say the same thing about Jasons9's ESC. These things happen, hobby class parts let the magic smoke out all the time. Fortunately Castle stands behind their parts and Hobby King doesn't have to because they're so ridiculously cheap.

    Jasons9, are you running the stock 2.4Ghz radio? I think that a really bad glitch could probably cause the ESC to burn up. I've got an FM radio in my 4x4 right now and it does not like me touching metal tools to metal parts in the truck while it's on. I set my mesh and slipper with the truck turned off of course.

    @dkaiser - have you taken the battery apart yet to see what's up with it?

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaiser
    I recently got a MMP and paired it with a Kershaw 8L. I was running the offroad track at my LHS on 2s and it was running great. However, after about 15 minutes, I hit a jump and flipped, it landed on it's lid. Almost instantly smoke started pouring out of the truck. Let's just say I was extremely worried. The marshall ran over to it and we both took off the body as fast as possible. We blew on it to try to get the smoke away and figure out what was smoking. It was fortunately the battery, so we grabbed it and threw it on a far away table. It stopped smoking and I disposed of it in salt water.

    Well, that was the end of that 5200mah 30c 2s hardcase from "the site that is now censored". It was only 4 months old.

    Moral of the story... I thought it was my MMP or motor that blew. I'm wondering if the MMP or motor would make it do that? It just seemed weird and I saw your thread on MMP's frying and I thought maybe you guys would know. Maybe it was just a bad battery... I really don't know, but I'm hoping my MMP doesn't go up in smoke anytime soon.
    *******? maxamps?
    Slash 4x4-Cyclone S-Pro3-Tten-x2

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    65
    I'm running a Spektrum DX3R and SR3100 receiver. I'm a huge Castle supporter and it is always possible that I just got a bad ESC. I have emailed Castle and am awaiting a response.
    In Got We Trust

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaiser
    It was fortunately the battery, so we grabbed it and threw it on a far away table. It stopped smoking and I disposed of it in salt water.
    Was just curious about the salt water bit. (?)

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by slash4x4mike
    *******? maxamps?
    It was a ******* hardcase.


    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm
    Was just curious about the salt water bit. (?)
    Well, the head guy at the track said he disposes of all his bad Lipos by putting them in salt water for about a week. I saw a Maxamps one that somebody had swell on them and it was shrunk down to about the size of a 9V regular Duracell battery! I have not looked at mine since then since I haven't been back to the track yet. I don't know how much it would shrink up since it is a hardcase. All I know is the guy at the track is great and said he would take care of it. Now I'm just out a 2s battery and need to save up to get a new Venom or SPC hardcase. Or else I could just get 2 or 3 of the one I had before for about the same price, but I don't want them to do the same thing. I like the feeling of having some kind of warranty.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    191
    the only strange thing is that the 5.5 hv connected to a vxl esc works great.

    if you have one for spare try use it now and see if you notice many difference to the mmp.

    regards

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by timaneli
    the only strange thing is that the 5.5 hv connected to a vxl esc works great.

    if you have one for spare try use it now and see if you notice many difference to the mmp.

    regards
    Do you realize that his MMP is dead? I'm sure you'd see a big difference between a damaged ESC and VXL.

    IMO The only question right now is really how fast Castle will manage to swap it under warranty.

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    144
    I have had an SMC hardcase lipo that swelled up on me about a month ago sitting in my garage. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. Should I put it in salt water for a week than throw it in the garbage or what?

    Sorry to thread jack!!
    VXL Amsoil 2WD Slash/ PE 4x4 Slash/ BL recoil

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusthepirate
    Do you realize that his MMP is dead? I'm sure you'd see a big difference between a damaged ESC and VXL.

    IMO The only question right now is really how fast Castle will manage to swap it under warranty.
    yes i realized. any problem?

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    5

    Salt Water is a conductor

    Quote Originally Posted by dkaiser
    It was a ******* hardcase.




    Well, the head guy at the track said he disposes of all his bad Lipos by putting them in salt water for about a week. I saw a Maxamps one that somebody had swell on them and it was shrunk down to about the size of a 9V regular Duracell battery! I have not looked at mine since then since I haven't been back to the track yet. I don't know how much it would shrink up since it is a hardcase. All I know is the guy at the track is great and said he would take care of it. Now I'm just out a 2s battery and need to save up to get a new Venom or SPC hardcase. Or else I could just get 2 or 3 of the one I had before for about the same price, but I don't want them to do the same thing. I like the feeling of having some kind of warranty.

    In response to the whole salt water thing, Salt Water is a conductor of electricity. The salt also acts as an insulator of heat. good combo to let the battery discharge and cool down.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    495
    I am running the MMM w/2650kv motor with no problems at all, but I am runninga 2S 7.4v-6500mah Lipo and it's right on the egde of flipping over but won't at full throttle. I am running a 24-tooth pinion and a 50-tooth spur on a center diff. Castle suggested this combo to me and it has worked out great and "Bernie" @ Castle and I have been playing around with my Throttle profile and he's got my Slash 4x4 really fast for a 2S set-up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •