RC Competitor

reversed steering? :S

Bought a new 3903 about a month ago and took it out for a regular bash
    today due to some good bordom..after running the truck for about 25mins i stopped, turned the power off( esc then transmitter) and when i went to turn it back on about 10 mins later the steering has been completely reversed? unless i completely forgot how to drive the emaxx within the 10 minutes of stopping lol...when holding the transmitter to turn left used to be turning the wheel towards me? and turning right i would turn the wheel frontwards away from me? now everyting is completely opposite

RC Champion
    I've had this happen on my Rustler VXL with the 2.4 ghz Link system and my E-Maxx that I upgraded to it. Check out the manual that came with the truck, it has instructions on how to reverse the steering servo back.

I'm not sure why it happens though, but I get it once in awhile and only on the steering.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Competitor
    Your a life saver, i honestly thought i was loosing my mind.So you say it should be in the manual? perfect thank you!

RC Champion
    No problem. It was a bit of a mind-screw when it first happened to me.

My Rustler VXL's manual has a programming menu chart for the transmitter, I'm sure the 3903 manual must have the same thing. Just follow the button presses for reversing the steering direction and you should be set.

RC Qualifier
    yip! happened to me too, on my slash, on my MERV, and on my emaxx. always randomly too. would be fine, do something like swap batts and bam... reversed steering. quite frustrating/irritating
    E-Revo - fried MMM
    Wife rides
    MERV
    Losi 1/36th

RC Champion
    The simple way is to reverse the servo using the switch on Ch. 2.

Sparky

Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Qualifier
    Is this a common thing with 2.4ghz Traxxas radios? From this post, it sure seems that way. That is sooooooo weird if this is the case.

If it were me I'd be sending it back to Traxxas and tell them to fix it, or better yet refund and go buy a radio that doesn't suddenly randomly reverse channels. That's just plain mental and there is no need to put up with it. So much junk on the market nowadays; it's not something we should be putting up with.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mjosparky
    The simple way is to reverse the servo using the switch on Ch. 2.

Sparky

That's not a Traxxas Link radio. You need to go into the menu to reverse steering on a Traxxas Link radio. They dont have mechanical reversing switches.

Also I like to set the multi function knob to control steering dual rate. Now and then it goes back to factory setting which is steering expo. I have to reprogram it often enough that I can do it without the annoying flow chart now. LOL!
    Last edited by z3rogravity; 05-18-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    Slash 4x4-Summit-Brushless EMaxx 3908-EMaxx 3903

RC Champion
    Here's a thread on the same exact topic in the Rustler/Bandit forum. Apparently this is more common than I thought originally.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=522332

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by z3rogravity
    That's not a Traxxas Link radio. You need to go into the menu to reverse steering on a Traxxas Link radio. They dont have mechanical reversing switches.

Also I like to set the multi function knob to control steering dual rate. Now and then it goes back to factory setting which is steering expo. I have to reprogram it often enough that I can do it without the annoying flow chart now. LOL!
    You are right. I just check it on mine which is a 3905 upgraded with a 2.4 GHz and it doesn't work like AM or FM radios.
    Thanks.

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    which transmitter is that one in the pic?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Champion
    That's their older 2.4 ghz system which is incompatible with the newer Link system.

From how I understand it, the Link system is much, much better.

RC Champion
    how old is the (old) one. also with the old one all you had to do is flick a switch, now you have to reprogram?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    how old is the (old) one. also with the old one all you had to do is flick a switch, now you have to reprogram?
    Ya I'm afraid so. That radio came with my EMBE also and I got that in January. It's still 2.4ghz but has no programming features. It requires 8 AA cells and puts out a less powerful signal. Non Traxxas Link transmitters are gray while the Link capable ones are black and run on 4 AA cells.

RC Champion
    This is the old style where you could switch servos. This isn't possible with any of the 2.4 GHz series.

Sparky

This is the latest greatest 2.4 GHz Link

Last edited by mjosparky; 05-19-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    so what do you do in this case as i am helping a buddy of mine due some conversions to his rusty and due to the fact he is teenager he can only buy things as he gets cash. he bought the transmitter 2.4ghz and in a few weeks he will get the receiver so what needs to be done to get the transmitter and receiver to link up?

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=mjosparky]This is the old style where you could switch servos. This isn't possible with any of the 2.4 GHz series.

Sparky

This is the latest greatest 2.4 GHz Link

[/QUOTE

The first 2.4ghz radios Traxxas supplied with the ERBE were gray and non link type. They had servo reversing switches. This radio was also supplied with the EMBE although I don't think it is anymore. They gradually moved to the Link radios on all models. I think they just wanted to use up all the first gen 2.4's before rolling out the programmable ones. Since February I bought a Slash 4x4, a 2wd Slash, and a brushed EMaxx. They all came with black 2.4ghz programmable transmitters but the one with the 2wd Slash was not link capable. For a while there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to what radio would be in the box.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    so what do you do in this case as i am helping a buddy of mine due some conversions to his rusty and due to the fact he is teenager he can only buy things as he gets cash. he bought the transmitter 2.4ghz and in a few weeks he will get the receiver so what needs to be done to get the transmitter and receiver to link up?

RC Enthusiast
    Adding a "me too" to this thread. Steering reversed for no apparent reason, thought I was tripping as all I could do was hit the walls over and over. First tried the "reset to default" on the controller, then reprogrammed the 2.4 GHz remote and voila, no more hitting the wall!

Weird. Just plain weird.

RC Racer
    Add another one to the list... I just had it happen to me.... I don't have manual... I will check the online manual...

RC Racer
    something weird happens to my emaxx too.... like almost all the time, id turn on the truck (transmitter then esc) and BAM. the tires turn by itself. I thought it was because my servos werent centered or something so i tried to center them and it still does it. lately it would like lock into a turned state and wont even try to turn at all. this is frustrating me so much that i was actually going to switch to my AM radio but didnt like how i has less range, so i switched back then when i did, it was all fixed?
    then the next day it starts acting funny again. weird.
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Qualifier
    Bringing up an old thread.

I just bought the 2240 4-channel 2.4 GHz radio to replace the standard 2238 2-channel radio in my 3903 E-Maxx. I bound it to my truck and it works fine, but the radio always has the steering servos backward so I have to reverse them in the Link menus. The stock radio never had this problem. Is there a way to 'save' settings because while going through the menus only takes 10 seconds, I can't believe it's something I have to do every time I run the truck. Everything else is perfect - shifting, throttle, end points - it's just the 1st channel reversing.

RC Racer
    i have the same problem. Every time I turn on the radio, I have to reverse the steering servo. I have an aftermarket servo. I have the tqi radio with the dock, I just emailed support. There has to be a way to save the setting.