Thread: Roll Cage ?

RC Champion

Roll Cage ?

i was thining of going all out and putting a roll cage on my slash 4x4 for looks and bashing. ive seen a FEW cages on some trucks and a few for sale. are there any out there i might not of hear d of or seen ?

i know integy makes one ans rc solutions but i havent seen them on a truck yet. only ones i seen were hand made.

post some pics and or info up !

im sure there has to be some scale 4x4's out there !
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    i know its off topic but does anybody know if the rpm rear bumper fits the slash 4x4?
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Racer
    Not sure if this might be what your looking for.
    I have seen one that is more of a roll cage like a dune buggy, but I can only
    imagine the complication of just the simple task of changing a battery.

Anyway. I have this roll cage here.
    It works great, Leave about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the top of it to the body so if you do a jump and land smack ontop of your lid it WILL take the bruny of the hit instead of your body taking the hit.

My stock body i got on ebay has already lasted twice as long with this installed. Not to mention you can run the truck with the body mounts off and duct tape the pee pee out if the top of the roll bar and beat the pee pee out of the thing, its indestructable. Not to mention a great carrying handle.

The BIGGEST downfall on these is that if you want to run an OVERTRAY good luck. I am still trying to figure that one out I want the support and the overtray to run together.

Anyway. Enjoy. If you need a pic if it installed Let me know.

http://www.rcboca.com/new-era-steel-...slash-4x4.html

Picture of mine, Click to make it big.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by wallofchaos; 05-14-2010 at 07:54 AM.

RC Racer
    I have the same roll cage as wallofchaos. I like it and allows me to do speed runs without the body. Also I think it's better than integy because it's lighter, can get to the batteries and all components, also it makes a great carrying handle =). You can get them on ebay or neweramodel.com. Also kind of works as a sway bar as well decreases body rolls so you can take corners a little faster. In conclusion I recommend it.

RC Racer
    Some alternatives to cover the electronics with the roll cage are panty hose, window screen (plastic bendable kind), or maybe the "shroud". I'm going to try the panty hose and post a picture shortly. I'm also thinking of getting a cheap dri-fit shirt from walmart and velcro it to the chassis like the shroud with the roll cage on to see how that goes =). I think you will get close to the same protection as the overtray without the heat issue.

RC Racer
    Sounds good Ksoul. What we really need. is....
    A way to hold this on with body clips. The hardest would be the nerf bar bolts. but if that could be overcome somehow we couple build a permanent plastic cover on that roll cage and never have a dirt problem in the chassis again. well maybe.

and you just have a hole big enough for the ESC to stick a pencil or something similar in there mmhmm

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoul
    I have the same roll cage as wallofchaos. I like it and allows me to do speed runs without the body. Also I think it's better than integy because it's lighter, can get to the batteries and all components, also it makes a great carrying handle =). You can get them on ebay or neweramodel.com. Also kind of works as a sway bar as well decreases body rolls so you can take corners a little faster. In conclusion I recommend it.

i dont see how this would decrease body roll.in fact it would increase body roll as you are adding weight higher up on the chassis.

i do like the hbz and was a fan of the 2wd slash one they have. that would be something i would be into.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    wallofchaos, do you think that you'd be able to run the outerwears cover with the new-era roll bar? i would imagine you could, since it is just fabric, and the side mounts are close to the sides of the chassis, but i just want to check first
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    twisted: Just my assumption don't know much about physics, but I think because the way it attaches to the shock towers and braces the the front and back.
    It does work, I take it off and have to hit the breaks a lot harder, but with it on I can take tighter corners at faster speed....all I know is it works =).

RC Racer
    Wallofchaos:
    Maybe can try screwing in posts like the one used to in the battery hold down and then use clips to hold them in, but I don't know how that would hold up even with heavy duty clips....mmm. I'll try to experiment with that....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_dirtbike
    wallofchaos, do you think that you'd be able to run the outerwears cover with the new-era roll bar? i would imagine you could, since it is just fabric, and the side mounts are close to the sides of the chassis, but i just want to check first

I dont know but how about this.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...54#post4467654

RC Racer
    Wallofchaos:
    Maybe can try screwing in posts like the one used to in the battery hold down and then use clips to hold them in, but I don't know how that would hold up even with heavy duty clips....mmm. I'll try to experiment with that....

Let me know, I cant afford to get the extra parts to tinker right now. 6 screws isnt to bad.

RC Racer
    it does a very good job at protecting those. as for the body .. well it doesn't really protect the REAR body panels. but it does help save the body posts.
    4x4 Slash, Jan 2010
    2x4 Slash, X2 May 2010

RC Champion
    twisted: Just my assumption don't know much about physics, but I think because the way it attaches to the shock towers and braces the the front and back.
    It does work, I take it off and have to hit the breaks a lot harder, but with it on I can take tighter corners at faster speed....all I know is it works =).

in the end thats all that matters. if i get a cage i would rather have a realistic one.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Just installed the New Era roll cage, and I like it. It definitely tightens things up. Looks serious too.

Re weight, this thing weighs nothing, ounces.

I find the weight concerns a bit weird, since the battery is likely the heaviest thing in your truck (maybe the motor), and I don't ever see folks asking about battery weight here.

RC Racer
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...39&p_catid=268

I bought it, I snapped some welding points first round so i sent it back... maybe it was just a bad unit.
    Slash 4x4-Cyclone S-Pro3-Tten-x2

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, have a bit of a review on this now that I've had it for awhile (the New Era rollcage).

I like the looks, it isn't overly heavy, and the mounting points on the 4 sides of the chassis (front and rear towers, left and right nerf bar area) really seem to stiffen the whole body. Also convenient for carrying the truck when the body is off.

However, there's a bit of a design flaw in terms of the mounting itself. You use the existing 6 screws from the areas I mentioned, but this is a problem for the towers @ the body mounts. If you look closely at those mounts, the 4 screws are recessed, or countersunk into the body mount part. When you put the rollcage mount on top of it, you lose about 5-6mm of screw depth.

When I ran my truck without the body (New Era says not to do this, but I couldn't resist), I did a bit of a roll on grass - nothing crazy at all - but all 4 screws on top of the towers ripped out. This is because there isn't enough bite on those screws due to the lost 5-6mm.

So, you'll probably want to find 4 slightly longer M3 screws, and New Era should probably have provided them with the rollcage.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm
    Hmmm, have a bit of a review on this now that I've had it for awhile (the New Era rollcage).

I like the looks, it isn't overly heavy, and the mounting points on the 4 sides of the chassis (front and rear towers, left and right nerf bar area) really seem to stiffen the whole body. Also convenient for carrying the truck when the body is off.

However, there's a bit of a design flaw in terms of the mounting itself. You use the existing 6 screws from the areas I mentioned, but this is a problem for the towers @ the body mounts. If you look closely at those mounts, the 4 screws are recessed, or countersunk into the body mount part. When you put the rollcage mount on top of it, you lose about 5-6mm of screw depth.

When I ran my truck without the body (New Era says not to do this, but I couldn't resist), I did a bit of a roll on grass - nothing crazy at all - but all 4 screws on top of the towers ripped out. This is because there isn't enough bite on those screws due to the lost 5-6mm.

So, you'll probably want to find 4 slightly longer M3 screws, and New Era should probably have provided them with the rollcage.
    Did yours not come with Screws?

Mine did. I had to use the screws he provided. otherwise it woudlnt work.
    4x4 Slash, Jan 2010
    2x4 Slash, X2 May 2010

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slash4x4mike
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...39&p_catid=268

I bought it, I snapped some welding points first round so i sent it back... maybe it was just a bad unit.

how did it look on the truck ?
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wallofchaos
    Did yours not come with Screws?

Mine did. I had to use the screws he provided. otherwise it woudlnt work.
    Crud, no.

That explains a lot.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm
    Crud, no.

That explains a lot.
    DOH!.. geta hold of the guy. their should have been 6 screws with it =\. bummer.
    4x4 Slash, Jan 2010
    2x4 Slash, X2 May 2010

RC Racer
    FYI- I run mine without the body all the time and have had some nasty rolls and flips on concrete going about 40ish and so far only scrapes on the bar. Will probably have to spray the scratches with vinyl to prevent rusting.

RC Racer
    Here is the integy roll cage!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slash4x4mike
    Here is the integy roll cage!

Wow this is VERY cool, just another thing to add to the needs (wants) list!
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Champion
    Could you post a picture of that with the body, or can you not run it with the body?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    Could you post a picture of that with the body, or can you not run it with the body?

yes body fits! I dont have the cage ATM I sent it back to integy.

RC Qualifier
    i got the new era roll bar yesterday.. took a bit of tweaking to get it to fit right, but i got it and it fits perfect with the stock body, PL desert rat or the SC10 body, very happy with it so far, and it literally doesnt weigh anything
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Just installed my New RC Solutions Black Roll Cage yesterday and it only took about 15 minutes to install and looks killer and will really help on those nasty crashes. They just got done making them last week when I ordered mine, well here are some pictures of the finished product:
    http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...tures003-8.jpg
    http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...ures002-10.jpg
    http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...ures001-11.jpg
    I personally think these Roll Cages are worth every dime, because of the quality and I can reach everything and you can run a battery up to about 50mm thick. I also switched my rear Blue Aluminum axle carriers around and put the right one on the left side and the left one on the right side and went from 4 degrees toe-in to 1 degree of toe-in and those tires will last a lot longer now. It explains everything in the Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition Owner's Manual Supplement on page 5. Some of you might want to swap those around after you see how much more tire wear you will get and I can still hold those high speeds. Weighs in at 6LBS 13OZ with a 7.4v-6500mah lipo and the Roll Cage.
    Last edited by BBBB; 05-31-2010 at 02:10 PM.