Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Twin Velineon Build Thread

A while ago I was talking about doing this and its going to happen

My birthday was yesterday so I've got some of the parts I need to do it.

So I'm going to yank out the EVX-2 hooked up to KD 700 HO motors tom. I hope so I can get started

I'm using the stock motor plate and cover

I don't have pinions yet... so would 20t be good for a basher/winter basher setup?

My List of Parts
    2 VXL systems
    2s 5200 mah hobby king lipos (won't let me put a link)
    Y Harness
    Unslow Harness
    Thunder AC6 Charger
    Lipo sack

Eventually I'll go 6s but I want to get used to the power first

My truck already has
    Alu. bulks
    RPM front arms
    Boom racing big bore shocks
    CVDs (still need to get center ones)
    RC solutions front skid plate

I'll get some pics up tom.
    Last edited by 02hawk; 05-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Qualifier
    sounds sweet man.. i had thought of doing it myself, but im going to enjoy the 775 for a while, and probably end up going with the MMM setup
    E-Revo - fried MMM
    Wife rides
    MERV
    Losi 1/36th

RC Competitor
    I went MMM 2650 on 4s, and the truck is insane! The only issue is I put it into a 3906, and I'm now playing catchup/damage control with other areas! One of the things that really impressed me was how quiet it is now... the only time you hear anything from the motor, is the brushless whine right at startup, once moving, all you can hear are the tires!
    3906-RPM,FLM,MMM 2650
    5608-RPM,MMM 2200

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I am probably going that route too. After speaking with Castle today about my ESC frying saying that I need a RECEIPT to get my warranty, and if I don't find it, I will have to pay to get a new one. So Traxxas it is! Can't wait to see some pics!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    If you are going to do it, go big.

Sparky

http://members.cox.net/gorilla_snawt/
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    It seems like kind of an expensive way to go. Castle Creations MMM & 2200 KV is $268 less discount of $50 = $218. VXL system x 2 = $310 less discount of $60 = $250. And I have heard they are a real bear to get running right but that could just be guys whining. Let us know how it works out.

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Qualifier
    why not just run 1 battery per esc instead of using the unslow harness?? Unless the double mah is what you are looking for..

RC Champion
    I was told you have to do this so the batteries uncharge equally. I did this b/c I want waterproof brushless without voiding warranties and possibly messing up a $250 system

RC Champion
    So I started taking apart the old stuff and as it turns out from playing in too much water the bearings in the transmission are all rusty and shot. So I'll be looking for one on ebay, if any body has an extra one lying around I'd be interested if the price is right

The truck before

Without motors and esc

The motors

Without tranny

Inside tranny, you can see all the rust. I also put some white lithium grease on the gears too

The esc with the KD fan

RC Champion
    You can replace all the bearing for $1 each.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/8/metric-bearings/

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    I could but I want to start fresh, I put the 2 speed in it and I could never get back together perfect. Not just the bearings are rusting but everything metal is, the idle gear, the two shafts...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mjosparky
    You can replace all the bearing for $1 each.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/8/metric-bearings/

Sparky
    Sweet, bookmarked. My RPM axle carrier bearings aren't holding up too well. Now I don't need to pay $18 or whatever for RPM's replacements.

Might go through the exploded views for my E-Maxx and Rustler and order one or two spares for everything.

02hawk: Sure it's not just residual rust from the ball bearings that are on the shafts and such? That stuff flies off and gets everywhere it seems making some parts look worse than they really are.

Either way, planning on keeping the two speed for your twin VXL?

I really like that Gorilla Snawt build. I ran across it a few days ago while searching for something with the E-Maxx. They've got a lot of good info on that site.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Champion
    I wasn't going to b/c I never got the servo to engage it right and I ended frying it b/c it got buried under to much snow this winter. After that I used it once for going through a deep puddle repeatedly, it had some much torque from the 700 HOs its not even funny

RC Champion
    It's hard to get that little servo just right so that it doesn't hum while in either position.

I was thinking you could use the "high low" gear for very hard off-roading, not so much to get more torque but just to help keep heat down.

RC Champion
    I'm keeping the tranny so maybe i'll put the wide ratio 2 speed in it. I have a pretty flat backyard and its going to be my winter truck, I have a new revo 3.3 that I've got going for a month now. My maxx is going to be my spare truck, the revo is stronger than it, I've done some kartwheels off jumps by accident and nothing broke! If my maxx was stock, bye bye shock tower, shocks, a-arms, bulks... But I have alum. bulks and rpm arms so its pretty good now.

RC Champion
    The Revo will probably be able to take a bit more of a beating. Nitro trucks have the advantage of coming stock with an aluminum chassis. The Revo's design is an evolution too, has a lot of improvements overall in design.

I wouldn't give my E-Maxx up for anything though.

RC Champion
    Same here, there's something about it that just makes it more of a monster truck than the revo, even though the revo is taller. When its done you can expect to see a new EMBE body on it that i already bought that looks breast

RC Champion
    Yeah, the E-Maxx design may not be state of the art or anything anymore, but it still looks very cool and it's a lot of fun to drive, work on and upgrade. When I got it back in January, it was like reliving my childhood. This puppy is going no where.

The body is starting to get beat up though, mostly from the fact I don't have a wheelie bar and the body catches on the ground when it wheelies. I was considering a 3908 body as a replacement. It has darker and meaner looking coloring on it.

RC Champion
    The wheelie bar works great if your have the stock bumper, if not it slides around a little but still works. Its worth the $15

My current body (a t-maxx 3.3) is pretty much trashed b/c of so many jumps and rollovers that where the posts go in the back i can land on that and they stick up above the body, it gets wedged under it. I have a aluminum plate that has 2 holes in it that is as wide as the body and that helps alot.

RC Champion
    I'm a bit jaded by the Traxxas wheelie bar, I got one for my Rustler and I broke it into three pieces 5 minutes into the run by very lightly tapping a tree sideways, no exaggerating. With how bad my driving is I need one that can take a bit more abuse.

RC Champion
    I have taken rolls with the wheelie bar on and it fine, I think the rustler one is different than the monster truck one. Its held up great and its the only kind of adjustable one out there (there might be an integy I've heard of but we know the rule of integy)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpower396
    why not just run 1 battery per esc instead of using the unslow harness?? Unless the double mah is what you are looking for..
    The purpose of the UNSLOW harness is to ensure that both batts drain equally eliminating the possibility of one esc going in low voltage shut down before the other. Both esc's need to shut down at the same time or the unpowered motor creates a huge load on the powered one.
    Slash 4x4-Summit-Brushless EMaxx 3908-EMaxx 3903

RC Racer
    The Twin V may be an interesting concept, sounds like too much hard work. I feel the same way about the two speed conversion.
    Keep the single speed with the MMM for a complication free solution.
    Less can go wrong.
    Last edited by bennyg; 05-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    EMaxx MMM
    EMaxx HV 6.5
    SportMaxx
    Lunchbox

RC Qualifier
    I think he would, but by the sounds of it he likes to go swimming, so the VXL is about the only way to do it. lol

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Champion
    And money, I already bought a vxl system with my own money and got a second for my birthday

RC Champion
    Does anybody know where I can get the unslow harness? There is one on ebay but the guy never shipped it, never talked to me and I got my money back

I'll see if my dad can make one although he didn't do good with traxxas connectors the first time a asked him to do some

RC Champion
    I got my tranny all done tonight. I put the close ratio gears in it this time

I'll probably mount the motors tom. and figure out how to mount the escs

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk
    Does anybody know where I can get the unslow harness? There is one on ebay but the guy never shipped it, never talked to me and I got my money back

I'll see if my dad can make one although he didn't do good with traxxas connectors the first time a asked him to do some
    Why don't you learn to solder and then make your own unslow harness.
    Soldering is easy. It's like riding a bike, once you learn you'll never forget, and it's a skill everybody should have when they are into an electric hobby.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Champion
    I thought about that too, maybe I'll try

I have cheap solder gun that might work

What else do I need?

Flux and solder?

RC Qualifier
    You want at least a 40w soldering iron with a fat wide tip. Gun works too, but not sure of how high of watts you need. I do know that it is alot more than a the iron. You just need electrical solder and your set.

Start by tinning up some wire ends then try to solder them together. Then move on to a connector, and don't worry if you mess up because everyone does at first. My first connectors looked awful, but now I could almost say I'm a pro at them as they look perfect like a robot did them.

02hawk. Just make sure you're running some from of lubrication in that tranny. Second i have never seen a MMM on 4s run but I loved my V-Twin running 2x 3300man 7cell crappy chinese battery from radioshack(i rebuilt them from the 6cell shotgun style u get from radioshack). I didnt use a unslow harness. I was running 17/68 but I made sure to programm both ESC at the sametime. The truck ran super fast and had over 30mins of runtime. No cogging problems or heating problems(motors and battery cold to the touch). I miss the truck and thinking about rebuilding a V-twin but using 2-2s lipos.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    I put some white lithium grease in it when i did it. Its ok to not have an unslow harness on nimh because they don't need to have a lvc so they can discharge at different times and still be ok

Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk
    I put some white lithium grease in it when i did it. Its ok to not have an unslow harness on nimh because they don't need to have a lvc so they can discharge at different times and still be ok
    I understand the unslow harness. But even with lipo if one ESC cutsoff before another 1 motor isn't going to have the power to move the truck, while fighting the other motor and already being on low power. But the unslow harness is a safe assurance for you're equipment and Im not questioning its usefulness.

RC Champion
    My escs should be set, I managed to get the y harness to fit inside the receiver box, I tested the escs and they both work, I plugged one motor that I already mounted to the tranny to test them. My batteries are on their way from china finally

I mounted the escs to a piece of aluminum on top of 4 pieces of rubber mud flap that are all CA glued together and the bottom one is velcroed to the chassis so I can easily remove them if needed

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Pics would be nice

RC Champion
    I'll try to post some tonight, i didn't have my moms camera at the time

RC Champion
    im thinking of doing this myself!! after the titans blow!

lets see the pics.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    Its done!!

ESC mounting (sorry kinda blurry)

But I only have 1 pinion and no batts

My lipos are ordered from hobby king and I'll find a pinion on da bay

RC Qualifier
    looks sweet man!
    E-Revo - fried MMM
    Wife rides
    MERV
    Losi 1/36th

Make sure you program the ESC at the sametime. I remember ppl talking about how you needede to cut the red wire? on one of the ESc so u can get the system to turn on together. You don't have to do that...just turn the ESc on at the sametime. Start off with 17/68 and see where it gets you.