RC Qualifier

Shock Oil Weight?

I will be buying a set of big bore shocks for my emaxx in a few days. I will have the suspension set to the lowest possibly ride height. I plan on driving it around my local track and bash it in my yard and take it off jumps. Should I go with 45W in the front and 50w in the rear or 45w all around (or 50W)? What are your opinions on the best shock oil weight for different types of terrain?

RC Competitor
    I've never really messed with oil weight, but I would think a heavier oil would be more beneficial for track and jumping use. So I would say 50w all-round.

RC Champion
    IMO, 45 or 50 weight oil is to close together to really notice any chance in the handling/effectiveness.

What springs are you going to use on those BB? The stock red one that come with them are very soft.

I'm assuming that you set your ride height low so it will handle better in the corners by eliminating body roll and lowering the center of gravity. I'm not really sure on this, but I think 50 or maybe even 60 wt is a good starting point.

RC Qualifier
    I have 40wt oil in my big bores with stock white progressive springs and the shocks mounted on the outer most hole on the lower arm to give me lowest ride height and most stable handling position for cornering around the track. What you need to remember is that with the shocks mounted on this position, your suspension is at its "stiffest" position irrespective of what oil you use, so to counteract this you do not want to go to thick with the shock oil. Like I said, mine is on 40 and I do track thrashing and bashing with this and have found it to be acceptable. With the benefit of hindsight I would say you could probably also go 50wt. IMO 60wt with outer shock mounting position may be a little too stiff.

RC Champion
    Good point Mugs

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys I got my big bores installed with the shock oil it comes with, when I set my emaxx on the ground it just sags and it messes up my camber and toe, do I need stiffer springs?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXSTANG3706 View Post
    do I need stiffer springs?
    Yes… and thicker oil.

A lot of guess like the white progressive springs by Traxxas.

For now you could put on a few of the pre-load clips if you have them. In fact you'll probably want to still use some pre-load clips with stiffer springs.

Thinker oil will not help the ride height, I only put that in there because I'm pretty sure you won't be happy with the stock 30wt oil.

RC Champion
    You could deffantly use some Associated or RC RAVEN springs in there.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Racer
    I run bigbores on the lowest setting on the arms and towers with 50wt oil in all 8, plus a mix of losi and integy springs
    Nitro soup@urc forums-Andrew Nabb on youtube

RC Qualifier
    How about trinity springs? They any good? Reason I ask this is my local track has them instock I'm not too sure if they have Losi or Associated. I will give them a call whenever.

RC Racer
    Ive never tried trinity springs but from what most people say there good. I would like to find my self a set of them to try them on my t maxx
    Nitro soup@urc forums-Andrew Nabb on youtube

RC Champion
    Ya, those are pretty good. You can use pretty much any spring that fits and is stiffer. I use springs from Ace Hardware.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Qualifier
    I will give them a try, I just don't know why my truck sags so much when I place it on the ground and then all for wheels get a lot of negative toe. Its just frustrating for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    I have 40wt oil in my big bores with stock white progressive springs and the shocks mounted on the outer most hole on the lower arm to give me lowest ride height and most stable handling position for cornering around the track. What you need to remember is that with the shocks mounted on this position, your suspension is at its "stiffest" position irrespective of what oil you use, so to counteract this you do not want to go to thick with the shock oil. Like I said, mine is on 40 and I do track thrashing and bashing with this and have found it to be acceptable. With the benefit of hindsight I would say you could probably also go 50wt. IMO 60wt with outer shock mounting position may be a little too stiff.
    I agree totally with this.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys I got the trinity springs installed on my emaxx yesterday. Doesn't sag anymore.