RC Champion

traxxas fiero history?

you guys probably dont know this but i love the traxxas fiero, its my all time favorite car and if i had my way, id buy a fleet of them just because. but i know absolutly nothing about its history other than the year it came out so can someone shed light on the fiero? like who designed it? why they chose the pontiac fiero race car as the base theme? etc this has been stuff ive wanted to find out for a few years now so itd be awsome if i could know the backround story

on a side note, i just got a nip fiero body with the C&A stickers that i may eventualy have painted by either zegers grafixz or a guy on the rcdriver forum.

anyway if i can get any info on the fiero itd be awsome!
    thanks
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC poster
    You are correct, IMHO, that the GTP Fiero is one of the hottest racers around! Back in the mid to late '80s Pontiac was pretty big in the racing scene and very popular as a performance brand. Obviously that's changed these days! The Fiero was also still pretty popular, although that popularity was waning.
    I have one of the Traxxas Fiero GTP kits that I bought and never built. I've always been a big Fiero fan and have owned about 15 of these cars. Down to only 1 now!
    I'm thinking about selling the Traxxas kit, if anyone is interested. I also have a new, sealed in the original packaging, Traxxas Fiero body fully painted and decaled that I'd like to sell.
    If there's any interest you can contact me here, or by PM, or send an email to ljdavico@gmail.com.
    Also, feel free to ask any additional questions that you may have about the GTP car. I have a few articles here somewhere as well as some large photos of the cars in action.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice question SRTracer121! There's no much info about the vintage trucks as you said, we only know the release year.

ljdavico, you have an email regarding your Fiero kit. And, it would be awesome if you can post the articles.

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    I had a Fiero GTP. It was surprisingly fast, right out of the box, even with the MSC!
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC Champion
    im bumping this thread, traxxas we want answers!!!!!!

so far as i can acertain from different things there were a few versions and variations, the original rtr model 1402, the kit version, 1401. and within that there were 2 body styles, the red 09 jiffylube and the more commonly known colins/aikmen 01 along with the clear offerings. there were also different radios the 2 were the dual stick (probably a jump from the boats) and the original tq "pistol grip" style.

body:
    clear and "01" versions http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...o/DSCN0075.jpg

box art version

manual pic of the "09" http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ONTCOVER-2.jpg

box art version

then the chassis itself had 3 distinct variations particularly in the rear pod, the version with the completely covered axle like so

the open axle which had a ring around the axle as a spacer between the pod's bushing and the hex hub, also note in the pic that the crome is non existant on the axle (you have to really look), im not sure if thats factory but it seems that way.

and a third style which is a closed axle molded in white which ive only seen as a nip spare part (sorry no pic available)

now, again this is only speculation on my part from all the variations ive owned and seen so i can only guess at time frames and order of release. also, when i say the axle is covered in all 3 variations that does not mean 100% covered, it only refers to the left side that was between the hex hub and the pod. the center was open on all 3 varients. (see pic 1) also note that not all pics are mine, i scowered the interwebs just to find the box art pics if the mods need to pull them, go right ahead.

@traxxas, youve really gone out on a limb as it is by simply supporting the older cars as much as you do but i think i speak for everyone who has an oldie, we want the story behind the cars. the designers, the ppl in texas, the original prototypes, racing program, the whole pro-trax thing. the works! traxxas, i would love atleast to have yall confirm or correct the info on here and maybe add some more.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 12-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree, I would really like to hear more about these nice oldies... They were so advanced for that time...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    looky what i found, this will be great for future reference

http://www.racingsportscars.com/make/photo/Spice.html

RC Racer
    Very old thread bump. I am a Fiero nut myself, having an 88GT V6 5spd and an 87GT V8 5spd with Nitrous. I am getting back into RC after a 25 year absence. I am looking for a Fiero Body. I am going to turn my Stampede 4x4 in a hybrid Road and Track Car. Already lowered the suspension and ordered some nice on road tires. I plan to see if I can push 70mph out of it, and want to do it up so it looks similar to my Real Fiero. I don't know if a Fastback Fiero body was ever made by any company. I do have a couple 1/12 or 1/16 scale Fiero's that were "Remote" control. Had a wired remote, with working pop up head lights and such. Was thinking about tearing one of those apart as they are based on the 85GT Notchback Fiero Production car. However they are a bit small for the 1/10 scale stampede. If anyone has a Proper Fiero Body for Sale I would love to at least have the chance to buy one. Honestly I don't know what the value is on them, but would be interested. I promise not to use it as a basher. (That's what my E-Maxx is for) FYI for the Real Fiero Nuts on here, I am sure you are on PFF, I am the same Capt Fiero that is on PFF.

RC Champion
    well the fiero body that is on the trx12 is 12th scale and will not really work on a pede properly, certainly not for speed runs. if you want a full fendered body to do speed runs you need to look at gt8/8th scale touring car bodies and 8th scale dirt latemodel bodies and even then its still a funky fit as the pede is substantially shorter than a gt8/8th scale latemodel.

team blue groove sells a re-poped trx12 fiero body.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-FIER...item2317a2f858

if your wanting to do speed runs i really recommend a narrow st body, my personal suggestion is an oval truck body but a regular st body would be as good.

RC Racer
    Thank You for the link, I will probably snatch one up and put it on the shelf. I am more than willing to sacrifice some speed in favor of having a Fiero-ish looking car. If I loose a bit of speed and aerodynamics due to body fitment, I'll just up the power. That's the nice thing about RC you are not limited to regulation engine or power size. I have several friends that DO Race there Real Fiero's on road courses and the regulations are crazy. I'll snap some pics of the Fiero Scale stuff I have here and post em, I am sure you will get a kick out of them. Even my computer Chair is a Fiero Bucket seat that I mounted to a standard office chair base.

RC Racer

My Fiero Models

I am thinking about taking the Black on apart and putting it on the Stampede. I have 2 of the Silver ones, but I think the Black one would look better. I snapped some pics of my other Vintage Fiero stuff as well. I am not posting the pics directly here as they are not Traxxas versions. I really like the Fiero Garage Serise as they even come with little Car Ramps for repairing the cars. Which in real life is pretty often, LOL.

http://captfiero.com/FieroModels

RC Champion
    As a former owner of 3 different Fieros...I'm a diehard Fiero nut too.
    One of these days...I'll have the spare cash when one of these becomes available.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker