Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    this build is hot some one fron the body companays better be watching these posts
    HOOAH!!

RC Champion
    This guy needs a blog to update...

bump
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    www.telnets.org

But i havent updated it with this project specifically because ive just been using this, but ill move it over eventually

the pictures are in my gallery though under RC stuff

PS: Got back from camping a day early, the sanding went well and its looking really good. Ill snap a pic or two tonight and post them a bit later!
    Last edited by Telnets; 08-07-2010 at 10:36 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Subscrbed! This is awsome!!!!! I swish I had all the know-how you do, it would be so cool to build custom bodies!
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC poster
    i want to see so new pics
    go fast or go home
    the pride of alberta

My plat body is getting lonely! Keep up the fight to finish this! The wood form looks great.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Qualifier
    its looking great man. keep up the good work. I bet if proline or jconcepts gets a look at these they will try to make one.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Racer
    they cant if hes got it patented or pending thell get in a lot of trouble
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    nah its not patented, its not worth the money to file a patent in both us and the states in order to hold my design..

So, little update:

Im having a hard time finding a heating element for the vacuformer.. most walmart brand skillets (indoor grills) have a heating element thats embedded into the grill.. i found one that wasnt, but it was 160 bucks One i found on amazon, but they dont ship to canada.. so. ill have to just keep looking this weekend and find something, maybe in a liquidation place or an online classified ad..

otherwise, i think ill have time this weekend to put the rest of the former together, ill let you know how the build goes

RC Competitor
    A few ideas, don't know if you want to build a lot but, get a replacement for the upper one of an oven, pretty cheap, but works on 240v.
    Or get a few of those BBQ electric lighter, they work on 120v.

RC Racer
    i don't personally have a heating element but maybe you could ask the community if they got some spare parts for cheap.

RC Racer
    could you jerry rig up some stove top elelments??
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    wrong voltage and not an electrician to know how to connect them from thier element plugin to a proper 110 plugin..

ill just find a indoor grill or 2 to rip apart and work something with that.. might be simpler in the end.

RC Qualifier
    toaster oven

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    nah its not patented, its not worth the money to file a patent in both us and the states in order to hold my design..

So, little update:

Im having a hard time finding a heating element for the vacuformer.. most walmart brand skillets (indoor grills) have a heating element thats embedded into the grill.. i found one that wasnt, but it was 160 bucks One i found on amazon, but they dont ship to canada.. so. ill have to just keep looking this weekend and find something, maybe in a liquidation place or an online classified ad..

otherwise, i think ill have time this weekend to put the rest of the former together, ill let you know how the build goes
    im not sure on your location but alot of the times you can have shipped withen or to the states to the closest post office to the border, where i live theres a post office across the border which is like a 5min walk from the border line should check it out, saves shipping costs anyway
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Im in calgary, so thats a long trip to the US for it :P

I could probably have someone from the US buy it and ship it to me and just pay them ha :P

Thanks for the suggestions though! It helps get the creative mind workin

RC Champion
    Im in calgary, so thats a long trip to the US for it :P

I could probably have someone from the US buy it and ship it to me and just pay them ha :P

Thanks for the suggestions though! It helps get the creative mind workin
    oh okay, yah always helps forsure.

im here in the event you might need that, located just out of vancouer, in abbotsford so the border is a 10mins drive. but im extremly busy for the next month.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    What? The genius Telnets is a fellow Canadian? Awesome!! Hey try dealextreme.com for some heating elements . Super cheap and free shipping. Very trustworthy
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    I deal with them for a lot of stuff, they are great :P though my last order didnt fair well, i dont recommend buying LCD picture frames from them :P

but they replaced it free of charge so.. i guess in the end it worked out

PS where on earth do you see heating elements on there the size of a stove one ? :P i didnt see anything

RC Qualifier
    This was the closest I could find. http://http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34739 . In theory, with a few modifications, if it can boil water, it could heat up lexan to desired temp. Just a thought. You would have to remove the metal pot. Also what should work is a heat gun. Since you mentioned you live in "Th Great White North" Check out your local Princess Auto. DOZENS of random supplies. They even have 12v brushed motors that I might use as a project. Good luck
    Last edited by Slash240; 08-13-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    99%er

RC Racer
    Are you still alive dude?
    mini slash brushed 3s and 1/10 slash vxl 3s

RC Champion
    Bump up!

You can sell like $40 for each one . . .
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    i hope he didnt abandon the project
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    I still like how mythbusters did theirs with flood lights. got even heat coverage and guarantee you can see what you are doing.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    LOL @ Monster

But yeah, really. What is going on with the body?

RC Qualifier
    Sorry guys, Ive been on set of a movie for the last couple weeks, so its been long days. I will update ASAP

RC Qualifier
    Telnets, can we get a how to vid when you do this?

RC Qualifier
    yeah ill see what i can put together.. i have 1/2 the former built, just need to figure out the heating element still (the flood light thing is actualy a good idea thanks :P ) and do a few tests with some cheaper plastic to get the technique down, since ive never done it before..

Since the project went from finding people to do it, to me doing everything, its gotten a little slower due to work/home priorities, but i asure you, i invested too much into this at this point to see it abandoned :P

I WILL MAKE HUMMERS!

RC Racer
    i will buy hummers!!!
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    I think I might just have to pick me up one of these bodies if they get finished. My current body has caught on fire twice, and there is only a little tape holding it together. Not much protection.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Racer
    wow dude i wanna see a pic lol
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    Vinny... do we even want to know how?

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Maybe not flood lights but those red heating lamps that look like light bulbs?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Racer
    vinny i wanna know how im just curious lol
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    so what movie set where you on?

Woot cant wait for this body to get finished
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    Well you see, I love fireworks. And I have now found out 5 various times that RCs and fireworks don't mix well. I have caught my slash on fire twice, my bandit on fire once, my triple-x on fire once, and my RC plane on fire once.

I also melted part of my transmission case on my bandit once because I had a titan taking up space and wanted to see what a 31/76 gear combination would do to it in gravel. Well, lemme tell you what. I saw.

Pics!
    http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/q...%20RC%20shell/
    Last edited by Vinny_Sabatini; 08-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Qualifier
    yeah ill see what i can put together.. i have 1/2 the former built, just need to figure out the heating element still (the flood light thing is actualy a good idea thanks :P ) and do a few tests with some cheaper plastic to get the technique down, since ive never done it before..

Since the project went from finding people to do it, to me doing everything, its gotten a little slower due to work/home priorities, but i asure you, i invested too much into this at this point to see it abandoned :P

I WILL MAKE HUMMERS!
    Glad to see that this project is still in the works!

I wish I could have shared with you my experence with having poly styrene cut and all the post work required after.

Your wooden buck looks great. I can't wait to see the final product and would love to purchase one from you.

Keep up the good work!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    Since you are in Cow-gary just pop into Home Hardware and get yourself a couple of chicken lamps (also called brooder lamps). Way hotter than your normal bathroom heat lamp. Just make sure your base and wires can take the 200W they pull.

RC Qualifier
    I think i found me a heater...

http://www.princessauto.com/seasonal...radiant-heater

Im not 100% it will work, but its a regular 120v plug in which i need, its asembled which is less hassle for me, i can mount it directly above the former, and adjust the height away from the lexan to vary the degree of heat...

i just hope it would be hot enough, but if it can heat a 200 sq foot room, im thinking it would give off enough radient heat to soften up some lexan?

anyone see any major problems with using this?

RC Champion
    Looks like it will do what you need bit it's hard to tell exactly without a BTU rating and all I saw on the page is how big of a room it can heat. You just need to make sure you heat the sheet of lexan evenly. What are you going to do to vacuum the air out between the lexan and the form?
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL