Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Welp, here it is, the FOAM prototype

The version on the right is the first one. its a dense styrene (packing foam) and i wasnt really happy with the results. It would have taken a lot of time to clean up and make look right before the molding process this weekend so I had him do up a second one in a lighter styrene (the left one)

That one turned out much better and a LOT smoother as you can see. Still needs some cleaning up which i will do with a xacto knife and dremal to define the windows and some details more (like the grill).

After i do that, I will brush over a light/thin coating of drywall mud which will fill all the holes and give it a gentle sand to smooth it out, and again add the finer details and sharpen up the corners where needed.

For those interested: Total Cost, 400 bucks for both "prototypes" as opposed to 1000 for a 3D Print/Rapid Prototype version.

Then its off to the mold making guy who will create a sillicon mold of the smoothed out prototype, and then Ill be able to pour/cast my final "buck" for the thermal former!

RC Champion
    Those sure look neat. Good luck!
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Qualifier
    Im just hoping the thermal forming process goes relatively smoothly.. one of my biggest concerns is the sheet of lexan folding or creasing when its vacumed onto the buck in certain parts due to the shape... Hopefully ill be alright..

RC Champion
    Any round-about figures on what you'll be charging for them?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    The thermo-forming should go fine... I salvaged an old hand-pumped thermo-former from my grandfathers factory (Which sadly no longer works) and it was puming out Lego brigk jello molds in no time
    I also did a few things like my cell-phone, and a computer mouse for more jello molds, and none of those shapes had any issues... I mean yeah, its on a smaller scale, but that just means that it will go even smoother for you, because the larger sheet of plastic can flex alot more
    and the plastic that I was using was ancient

the thermo former was originally created to mass-produce shoe lasts way back when some time in the 50's or 60's when my great grandfather owned a BeeBee shoe factory in downtown Manchester. It was a mighty fine little machine, and had about a 8 inch by 14 inch deck size... it was alot of fun to get working, and use
    Last edited by CoolestDinosoar; 06-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    Wont know that until 2 things happen

a) I get one of the line and take it to the track and beat it up a little so Im comfortable knowing it will be as durable as at least the traxxas body (im using a .06 lexan, same as prolines buggy so I dont THINK ill have any issues on this).

b) I know what each sheet of lexan will end up costing and thermal former setup charges.

Once i know thoes two things, ill know what the costs will be.

Whatever they are though, This will be likely be a limited run of an X number of bodies and that will be it.. Seeing as im not a huge company that can invest in keeping a stock of thousands around to sell, or a distributor like Tower who has all the proper packing materials onhand to ship them all over...

course.. if tower is listening, id certainly be open to sending a pile to you at cost and you can sell/ship them out for me :P

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lookin fantastic!

RC Champion
    personally thats probably going to be the sweetest piece of lexan anyone will ever see!
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Racer
    im a tight @$$ed dutchman, an id be interested in one... will you be setting ANYTHING up for your limited run? id bet u could sell a hundred pretty easily

RC Qualifier
    Well lets say, for example they are 40 each to produce (which i could be WAY out to lunch, since i pulled that number out of my rear)...

100 of them at 40 each is still 4k worth i need to "cover"

So the thoughts crossed my mind that if the first 10 or so i use for testing work out well, what i may do is open up a 2 week period (again another number i pulled out of my rear for this example) where i take a 20 dollar deposit from anyone who wants a body. At the close of the run, I use that money for lexan and startup costs, produce bodies for everyone who ordered, and then collect the remaining 20 + shipping and send them the body.. That would mean i would only have to cover 1/2 the costs of the run out of pocket..

But.. ill be frankly honest, I really havent thought much past the "I need to go buy sandpaper now" step :P so until i have at least the first one in my hand, i dont know how I will end up making them available.. but a "pre-order" seems reasonable... most companies end up doing that

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Paypal????
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I have it yeah, i couldnt take credit cards, but lets not jump too far ahead, lets see if i can get a good cast of the body first and see how well the thermal forming goes before we think about selling and payment options :P

RC Racer
    If you are gonna ship to the Netherlands, + one.... I been following your posts from the first post. Love the body. So if possible, I would love one...

RC Racer
    you oughtta be shipping to Turkey as well := listening in "fly on the window" mode for over a month man?
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Qualifier
    Quick update for those following the thread

Putting drywall on the foam mold and sanding it down has made the prototype about 3 times better, however, im still kind of "iffy" on if its good enough or not. some of the detailing around the windows and on the doors are still quite soft and there is no way for me to do much better on this prototype due to the nature of the material. Im going to get together this weekend with the molding guy, and see if its something i can not worry about untill i cast a copy of it in a harder material (for the thermalformer) then take a dremmal and touch up the final cast, or if its something i need to address now.

if its something i need to address now, then i may have to go back to the CNC guy and get him to do one out of a better material which may delay the project a week or so

Or, if im not comfortable with that, then I go back to the 3d prototype printer guy and get him to print me one which would be EXACT detail and i wouldnt have to worry about a thing and KNOW it would turn out perfecly..

Ill keep you up to date..

I could just go ahead with the project as is, but this more about doing it right then getting it done so, I want to make sure im going to be happy with the results no matter how long it takes to complete it

the good news is that having the foam prototypes has been valuable getting the size right and fitting it to the truck! so i know whatever option i do go with, that the outcome will in fact work well on the slash itself!

RC Racer
    Looks like a lot of work.................and $'s..
    Your gonna be the only guy in the country with a $2K body....ouch!
    Hope you can off a few to make it up.
    Have Fun

RC Champion
    Thanks for the update. Take your time my slash is not going anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    well we will see what i end up doing. I am going to try one other alternative and thats go to the hardware store and pick up some ridged 300 insulation foam and glue it together into a big block and see how that CNCs up.

If THAT works then were back on track again! :P

but yeah, sorry guys, im not willing to rush the project's quality and detail for the sake of just getting a hummer.. i want the end result to be comparible to that of a commerical one, and im just not getting that with these prototypes, so id rather take more time and do it right, then rush it and not get the result i want.. especialy if i will be selling them!

RC Champion
    I'm very interested!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    Telnets have you watched some of the how to videos on youtube?

RC Qualifier
    How to what?

Thermalform? yeah I know how the process works, but making one on my garage would cost more then just paying the setup fee at a local manufactuer to do it for me, and the results would be FAR better in the end..

Update:
    Ive decided to ditch the Foam trials and am going straight to a block of MDF wood for CNC milling. The guy im working with gave me a HUGE break and said that instead of trying again with more foam that May or may not work, if i were to provide the MDF wood cut and glued into the correct size block, he will mill me my prototype with that.

This is good news as soon as its done, it can go directly to the thermalformer, no waiting around for casting and creating more durable bucks!!

So.. this week ill glue that together and ill update once the CNC guy is done his work

RC Qualifier
    use gorilla glue Telnets

yea thats probably true the one I watched the guy is building a v8 powered 1/4 scale grave digger

RC Qualifier
    ill look into that, thanks Jwaj2002

RC Qualifier
    if you get this done, let me know how it turns out, Tamiya killed off the body I want

RC Qualifier
    Any Updates??? This is an awesome project! I found it in the biggest waste post... IMO Your doing something crazy! in a very good way! Keep it coming.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Qualifier
    the only update is that im waiting until friday to pick up 2 sheets of premium MDF board which then ill use the weekend to cut/glue into the correct size "block". Hopefully it will be dry enough to mill for monday..

next update will be when its off the milling machine and before i take it to the thermalformer ;P

RC Competitor
    Just found this thread. Awesome project! I've never been a fan of the Hummer vehicle but it does look pretty sweet as a rally vehicle. Would definetely be interested in signing up on your 'list'. ;-)
    ==
    Slash4X4 Jato Ten-TE T-Maxx P4de MERV SC10

RC Qualifier
    Update:

So with the failure of the foam prototypes (Not as detailed as i wanted) I have 2 options. Rapid prototyping ($1000) or CNC out of solid wood (Normaly $1000). However, because the CNC guy already did the foam ones, hes giving me a HUGE deal and CNCing my next prototype free of charge.

So, Wooden Prototype wins!

I spend some of the weekend at the lumberyard and picked up 2 sheets of 5/8ths MDF board. Got them cut and spend an hour with a putty knife and some extra strength carpenders grade wood glue, gluing the sheets together creating the 39x22x5 solid block of wood that the CNC guy will use to create my next prototype.

The good news with this process, is that when its done, I can add details to it much easier, AND there is no casting process for the final buck that goes to the thermal former. This wooden prototype will go directly to the former as it can withstand the pressure & heat just fine, meaning a quicker turn around to get a shell made!

I have a pic of the block ill post a bit later, until then, it will be 3 - 4 days of milling before the prototype is done, which when it is ill post more pics of the end product

RC Qualifier
    Telnets your officially on my "guys who know what there talking about list" im so glad people lik you stay on this forum! Thanks for this experience and i just finally read your thread and hope this works out for you. I will be sending you a PM stating that I want one if you end up selling these so keep the PM so you know. And i would even pay you more than $40 for one of these. The knowledge and uniqueness alone are worth it!
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Racer
    you rule man! keep on posting, this thread here is like my "word for the day" blog!
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Champion
    Great news. Keep the updates coming. Still very interested!
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    We should all send a link to this thread to proline to show them we want one lol.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    Why? I almost have it made! :P

Block of wood went to the CNC today (actually just got back from dropping it off).. The 200 bucks worth of wood milling tools are arriving tomorrow at the stop and they will begin milling it!

Since the block can do directly to the thermal former, ive contacted them and asked them to order the lexan!

wish I was at this stage a MONTH ago, but.. its my first time with a project this big, so theres been a lot of learning involved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    Why? I almost have it made! :P

Block of wood went to the CNC today (actually just got back from dropping it off).. The 200 bucks worth of wood milling tools are arriving tomorrow at the stop and they will begin milling it!

Since the block can do directly to the thermal former, ive contacted them and asked them to order the lexan!

wish I was at this stage a MONTH ago, but.. its my first time with a project this big, so theres been a lot of learning involved
    Are you going to be selling them though?
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    ^^We will have to wait and see^^

Keep it up Mr. T

I still want two!

Im ready to buy as soon as they are ready!
    My WIFE drives her slash like she stole it...

RC Qualifier
    If they turn out good from the thermal former, and they hold up decent on the track, i dont see why I cant offer a run to anyone who wants to get their hands on one for themselves..

but like i said before, if i mold one, and it lasts 2 minutes on the track and splits into two.. well im not comfortable selling thoes and ruining my rep over it.. so i want to at least have one made before i promise anything for availability is all.

If they work, there's no reason i cant make as many as i want... So just keep your fingers crossed that the first run turns out decently and we will go from there!

RC Qualifier
    ^^ sweet ^^

Dont for get to get some video footage of you running/bashing it!

Scence your the originator of this lid you will have to put up original footage before people post clips of them running your Lid!
    My WIFE drives her slash like she stole it...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah and beat the heck out of it to make sure its going to hold up
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Qualifier
    Update, Update, Update, Update
    Slash MMP 4600kv
    Slash VXL

RC Qualifier
    +100000......
    ERBE
    Havoc 8.5t Slash
    SC10 VXL