Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    yes, we are interested.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Oh no. I dug this up on page two. How is it coming? It would be awesome to pull up at our Wicked Wednesday Night race series with a slash Hummer. You are doing an awesome job. Any Updates?
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    nothing worth posting right now, Im headed for a round of golf then ill be working on the model again this evening to try and get the hood right. Im hoping to send it to the prototyper tomorrow morning to begin work on it.

RC Qualifier
    any new updates on this thing?
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    Kinda,
    I lost about 6 hours worth of work last night. I pretty much had it printer ready except windows decided it needed to update NOW and just shut down the machine on me.. When I get home from work tonight Ill re-do all that work and if all goes well, ill send it off to the printer tonight for him to start work! Ill post a pic of the final model tonight before i send it.

I also took the advice of thoes on the forum and replaced the hood vents with a small "scoop" detailing instead. Its just subtle, but it adds just a bit of the feature not to look to plain, but more importantly, the small ridge lines will add the little bit of strength to the hood as well.

I asked him to call me when hes working on it so I can snap some pics :P

RC Qualifier

The top/side/front/iso view of the model as it is tonight. I just need to finish the back bumper and im all done! Though, I have NO idea how im going to make the bumper look ok so high up... but ill figure something out.

You will see the front body posts in the drawing, however, im pretty sure mounting the body will require slightly higher ones in order for the wheels not to touch the fenders.. but we will see soon

RC Qualifier
    I like what you've done with the hood.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    I like what you've done with the hood.
    +1 WAY BETTER!!! much cleaner!

RC Qualifier
    OMG That is sweet man. You are doing some great work.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Keep up the good work!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    Well, thats it! Its off to the Prototype'er to get made.. I finished the bumper last night in the back, did the best i could with it, and cleaned up a few things. I also put some small ridges running the length of the roof to give it a little design and structure too.. Im not going to post a pic of that, instead ill just post some snaps of the prototype when its done this week or early next week.

Found a supplier for .060 Lexan which i plan to use for these WITH the protective film, and soon as I get the prototype done, Im off to make a casting of it for the thermal-forming!

RC Qualifier
    awesome!! looks better now
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    lol sweet man I cant wait to see once its made. I wish I had a job to buy the first or 2nd one, man I cant wait to see this thing haha

RC Qualifier
    Well, you guys wanted pictures, so here you are :P

This is the final CAD model that he sent back to me to "proof"... everything looks great with it from what I can see..

Costs involved: 130 cubic inches of material (1/4" thick shell) @ $25/cubic inch = $3,250 :P Thats what it would cost you if you just walked in with a model and said "here, print this"... Ive been able to negotiate it for under $800.

However, Interesting turn of events...

I am in talks right now (literaly as im writing this) with a guy who is local, and who owns a 3D CNC milling machine.. Why is this good news?

If I go with rapid prototyping, I need to create a mold of the prototype (because it will get plyable from the thermalforming if I dont), and from the mold cast a "buck" or template which goes to the thermalformer.

Well, if the CNC guy works out, and can do the project for me instead of rapid prototyping, he can literaly take my model, and mill out/CNC me a "buck" from solid wood or really anything I want. This means I can skip the prototype and casting/molding stage directly saving a ton of costs and he could make 3 or 4 of them for me right away. All I would have to do is give each "buck" a light sanding and prep it for the thermalformer and im done! Could be forming bodies in less then a week.

Ill let you know how talks go.
    Last edited by Telnets; 05-20-2010 at 10:34 AM.

RC Champion
    i hope you sell them so you can get some of your money back

RC Qualifier
    My first run, ill have a handfull (between 10 and 20) to sell after I keep 2 or so for myself, and do some up for my friends. The first one I get off the former is going to be photographed, painted, and then taken to the track to be tested. If the results are a body that looks almost or equily as good as a commercial body (no huge flaws in it), and it stands up to a moderate amount of bashing (not indistructable, but at least as durable as any other body you can buy), then I would be quite open to selling the rest of the stock i have and the idea of a second run of them for anyone interested.

However, the project for me is more about the learning experiance, and Im the type of person that I wouldnt sell anything that I myself wouldnt buy if it was my own money, so I dont want to commit to outside sales until I have a finished product in my hands and am happy with the result. But, if everything works out as I hope it will, and the final product is decent, then Im certainly willing to do a run for anyone who would like one
    Last edited by Telnets; 05-20-2010 at 01:06 PM.

RC Champion
    I would definitely be up for one as well. Subscribed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    Well, you guys wanted pictures, so here you are :P

This is the final CAD model that he sent back to me to "proof"... everything looks great with it from what I can see..

Costs involved: 130 cubic inches of material (1/4" thick shell) @ $25/cubic inch = $3,250 :P Thats what it would cost you if you just walked in with a model and said "here, print this"... Ive been able to negotiate it for under $800.

However, Interesting turn of events...

I am in talks right now (literaly as im writing this) with a guy who is local, and who owns a 3D CNC milling machine.. Why is this good news?

If I go with rapid prototyping, I need to create a mold of the prototype (because it will get plyable from the thermalforming if I dont), and from the mold cast a "buck" or template which goes to the thermalformer.

Well, if the CNC guy works out, and can do the project for me instead of rapid prototyping, he can literaly take my model, and mill out/CNC me a "buck" from solid wood or really anything I want. This means I can skip the prototype and casting/molding stage directly saving a ton of costs and he could make 3 or 4 of them for me right away. All I would have to do is give each "buck" a light sanding and prep it for the thermalformer and im done! Could be forming bodies in less then a week.

Ill let you know how talks go.
    Telnets,

I think you have a problem with the file shown in the picture above, if you look at the hood (and other gradual curved surfaces) the shape is aliased, this means the actual piece will not have smooth curves but will be constructed of a compolation of straight lines. This means hand finishing and rework that you might not want to do.

In my experence with rapid prototype this is caused by file conversion processes between programs. In my case solid edge ->iges->rapid prototype program. We solved this by saving (in solid edge) in the rapid prototype's native file type (the exact extension I cannot remember now)

Be careful before you pull the trigger on the RP part. For those reasons.

Also, be wary of the machinists ability to cut the complex shapes, he will be limited in what he can cut by his tool selection, so that means that your design may need to be changed to accept common radii of tools (ball end mills and corner rounders) also the way the machinists programs the tool paths will influence the amount of work you have to do on the buck. Also, the CNC programming is the most expensive part of having it machined. The rapid prototype has less labor envolved as you "almost" just hit print.

Best of luck!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Krispy,
    Yeah im aware of the faces on the model, thats more me then it is the file conversion process. I am not using a 3d scan, and have hand drawn this thing in a 3d program. i didnt want to spend another 2 weeks designing it with 200,000 faces so i just opted with the minimal amount of polys that gets me the general shape of what i want for an outcome. It also allows me to shape the material by hand a bit and not soley rely on my modeling skills (which are limited from not using them in so long).

I figure the time it takes me to completely smooth the model would be the same time it takes me to go over the prototype (either prototype or CNC'd buck) with a light sanding. I will also need to "etch" the final product in a few places, such as the line around the bottom countour of the body where it meets the filler skirt, around the doorframes and also clean up some little parts like inside the grill or around the windows.

thanks for the heads up, ill definatly discuss the tooling with the CNC guy and make a decision on which go go with based on the capibilities of each method
    Last edited by Telnets; 05-20-2010 at 03:09 PM.

RC Racer
    I think it will be well worth the effort you are putting into it....like I said before...I see you making a good bit of $$$ with this design as long as its half way durable.

RC Champion
    Telnets, I am definately interested in purchasing one. Put me on the list please if you are keeping track.
    Thanks,
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    yeah man Im very interested in buying one, heck ill test one out for ya haha. you are doing some great work. cant wait to see the finished body.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not to thread jack but........................

Is that sort of body scalable? Can it be made in 18th scale?

RC Competitor
    I would take one. Looks nice!
    Slash 2wd upgraded to VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ducati77 - It could be made any scale you want really. Im only making it for the 1/10 short course though and have no plans to make it for any other scale.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After posting I was thinking it was a dumb question... other scales aren't practical.

Still, worth talking about. You've got this nice model, is changing scale a simple change? Can you simply stretch the model?

RC Qualifier
    Yup, if someone else had the desire to make this in another scale then it certainly could be done and would be pretty easy.. You would just have to re-scale the electronic model and that would be pretty much the only change. Everything else after that would be the same as it is to produce a body for a larger scale

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its very cool stuff. A friend of mine has a water jet and I keep dreaming of a custom chasis. I'd like to do a 8th scale street buggy.

I know it has to be drawn in cad, or something... something very similar to this thread, but 2d.

RC Champion
    bump, update please.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    heck yeah need some updates.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry guys, works just kicked my butt this week, bunch of share holder meetings and such.. Ill be back on the project next week! Im just as anxious to finish it as you are to see it ;P

RC Qualifier
    subbed! this looks great! cant wait to see it all painted up once you finish it.
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Qualifier
    +1 for wanting 1, I'll spend $30 maybe $40

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTR4X4
    i hope you sell them so you can get some of your money back
    I'm already in the long que of I want one'rs
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Qualifier
    anything new???????
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Should be more updates next week, just have a lot on my plate right now is all ;P

RC Qualifier
    I need one of those bodies!
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I do not like hummers at all, but I would proudly race this body. Looks are great from the model.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quick Update:
    Well as noted, works kicking my butt right now, but Ill be back on track with this project soon.

I did find out a few things this weekend though. I got into contact (finaly after waiting a week and a bit) with a guy who does molding and castings. He looked at my project and said that he can help me out with whatever route I need (either from a 3d printer or a CNC'd prototype) practicaly for free. This is good news, as before the materials from a local supplier almost doubled my production costs!

More good news, Is that I also contacted a guy who owns a CNC machine here in town! He got back to me on my project this morning and said the file looks fine and that he doesnt expect any complications at all if i go this route. Hes also a fellow RC racer in the club, so the costs will be quite minimal.

So, looks like things are working out great for this project, and if these 2 contacts pan out (which i should know by the weekend which is when both of them have time to actualy get together and we can start physcialy creating the prototype) My costs have went from a small fortune to less then the price of a slash! Thats exciting, not just for my wallet's health, but because it means I could potentialy invest more into the thrermal-forming process off the bat and do a larger initial run then expected and dropping the price per body to something almost in-line of a commericialy produced one!

RC Enthusiast
    Any updates yet Telnets?
    Just wondering. :]
    --Jon ಠ_ಠ
    Backbajr~NitroStampede~BrushlessEmaxx