Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    My buddy is coming over tomorrow (tuesday) to push me into making this thermal former so hopefully there will be some real progress soon.. the good news too is that winter is approaching here, so ill have all the time in the world to run these things if it does actually work out :P

RC Qualifier
    little tid bit of info, hummer/gm got sued over that very grill (well the h2 grille) by Daimler Chrysler Benz due to the fact that it is styled after a jeep grille

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaj2002
    little tid bit of info, hummer/gm got sued over that very grill (well the h2 grille) by Daimler Chrysler Benz due to the fact that it is styled after a jeep grille
    And that lawsuit was dismissed.

Can't wait to see the final shell.

RC Qualifier
    So thought i would post a quick update..

The thermal former base is done, it was relatively simple, and i have some pics, but ill have to post them when i get back from out of town. im just figuring out the best way to do the heating element part now..

I know its been a long and slow project but lots has come up and ive had to take time away from it for a lot of "life" reasons, but i assure you im still working on it slowly :P

Thanks for following and ill see you when i get back into town!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummerdude
    And that lawsuit was dismissed.

Can't wait to see the final shell.
    Of course it was styled after a Jeep grill. Jeep engineers helped design the Hummer.
    AMG, the manufacturer of the original Hummer, was a division of AMC, who owned Jeep.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC Qualifier
    Well it's been 5 months, but I am glad to see that this project is finally coming to a close.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny_Sabatini
    Well it's been 5 months, but I am glad to see that this project is finally coming to a close.
    i wouldn't say that just yet
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    so Telnets... whats your next body project gonna be?

RC Qualifier
    Cube van :P

Haha Let me know when the cube is done. I want to be the first to get one past 70.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

That would make for an interesting spec class. 2wd box stock box truck.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Champion
    I think you should make a rally body next
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by vxlkid
    I think you should make a rally body next
    Read the second post in the thread, it is a rally body...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Champion
    Well yeah, it's the "rally hummer" but I meant something like a citroen c4, or a super 2000
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I'd really like to see this one finished up first lol, kidding...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    That would make for an interesting spec class. 2wd box stock box truck.
    reminds me of racing box trucks online in Grand Theft Auto IV
    it would be more fun if they were faster
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    huh lol, needs to be DONE!!
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    So when is this going to be finished?
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    yeah .
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    I want to make a slash ambulance science I'm going to get my emt card
    HOOAH!!

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    So when is this going to be finished?
    Jeez, give the guy a break. He seems to be doing this with the little bit of spare time that he has, and on top of it all its not cheap...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Qualifier
    Here are some pics from when i was putting together the Vacu-former box.. its pretty straight forward, but its 1 more step closer to actually doing this thing!

I have some wheather stripping that will go around the edge of the box to create a good seal with the frame that holds the plastic i havent put on, because im not sure what size of sheet will work best yet.. but i have to take apart an oven and get the elements working before i worry about that.

RC Qualifier
    And yes, I'm aware its been about 4 months longer then i had hoped for this project, but unfortunately its all out of my control.

I didn't expect to get so busy with work this summer, but i also never expected this project to develop into something so large.. When i started i had hoped it wouldn't be more then taking a design to a C&C, then taking the buck to a plastics company, but as with most things, that just wasnt that easy or simple :P

So the thermalformer stage of this entire project is new, and has taken some time to make a reality, but, as the title says.. Hummer or Bust! and I certainly havent given up on the project

RC Enthusiast
    DO

WANT

!!

But really. I love H3s. I've been praying for an H3 body for the Slash since the truck came out. I've emailed Proline more times then I can count about an H3 body.

Around Christmas I plan on getting one of the RC4WD Hardcore chassis, and this would go absolutely amazingly with that chassis.

This will be my second H3 project! My first is still a WIP. Lol.

I'd love to add another yellow H3 to my "garage"!

Sign me up for at least 2 of these!

RC Qualifier
    Soooooo, Just windering if you have made anymore progress on this project? Im quite interested to see how it turns out.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    I have yes, but ive had some unfortunate setbacks with family right now that is taking up all my time to sort out and help deal with, and family comes before RC projects as im sure you can understand.

Ill post more when i get the oven modified for the former, and give my first attempt a whirl. I just dont know when that will be right now =o\

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha, Yes I agree family always comes first. I hope everything turns out allright for you and your family.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Still don't like the idea of a heating element. But guess I have to wait and see if you can get it to work.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    A month with no posts? Are there any updates?
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Competitor
    wow, love the look at the hummer in the above posts. This is gonna rock!
    Slash 2wd upgraded to VXL

RC Racer
    Yes I think this is my favorite thread of all off the entire Traxxas site and no updates for a month?! Cmon Telnets!
    Rusty VXL W/ Sandrail Chassis (Coming soon...)

Quote Originally Posted by Telnets View Post
    I have yes, but ive had some unfortunate setbacks with family right now that is taking up all my time to sort out and help deal with, and family comes before RC projects...
    Did you not read this?
    JEEZ!
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Did you not read this?
    JEEZ!
    Dang man calm down...It was just a simple question. A lot can happen in a month. No need to get defensive about it...
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Guys,
    While im quite greatful everyone has been following this thread FAR past when i hoped to have it complete (2010 racing season was what i was shooting for), it just didnt seem to be in the cards

While ive had some personal and project setbacks, the good news is that I still havent given up and really, im in the last stages of this whole thing. I just need to figure out how to get the heater element out of the stove and working, and come up with a frame to hold the lexan and give it a few tests!!

The bad news, as usual, is that my obligations to home and family take priority, AND its -30c here which makes working in the garage with no heater pretty darn hard and miserable

We get days of good weather which i can keep working on this, but i just wanted to come on and say that no, this project WILL BE COMPLETED, and i WILL NOT give up until i have myself a H3 Dekar Hummer shell on my freakin slash! Its just going to be a bit.. one of the reasons i was trying to get it done in the summer was because i could work in the garage easily, but with winter here, as i said above, when your hands are frozen and you cant touch anything metal.. its hard to work

The other good side of things, is that it gives me more time to figure out a good heater solution, a friend of mine actualy suggested a propane BBQ element and an up-side-down stove drawer to capture the heat.. this is actualy something i was playing with already and while i have the element working, its not something i want to use in the house

Thanks for all thoes that follow, and thanks for all your guy's patients with this project, I do apologize its not finished already, but trust me, im also disapointed and looking forward to finaly finishing up!

one thing i am going to try in the next 2 weeks, is simply using some thin styrene instead of lexan, and pulling it over the model, and using a heat gun to shape it. I know this wont be anywhere near a finished body, or durable, BUT, it will at least let me get a simple prototype of the mold going, and i could at least fit it to the slash to get pictures for you guys of SOME progress!

Thanks all!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets View Post
    Hey Guys,
    While im quite greatful everyone has been following this thread FAR past when i hoped to have it complete (2010 racing season was what i was shooting for), it just didnt seem to be in the cards

While ive had some personal and project setbacks, the good news is that I still havent given up and really, im in the last stages of this whole thing. I just need to figure out how to get the heater element out of the stove and working, and come up with a frame to hold the lexan and give it a few tests!!

The bad news, as usual, is that my obligations to home and family take priority, AND its -30c here which makes working in the garage with no heater pretty darn hard and miserable

We get days of good weather which i can keep working on this, but i just wanted to come on and say that no, this project WILL BE COMPLETED, and i WILL NOT give up until i have myself a H3 Dekar Hummer shell on my freakin slash! Its just going to be a bit.. one of the reasons i was trying to get it done in the summer was because i could work in the garage easily, but with winter here, as i said above, when your hands are frozen and you cant touch anything metal.. its hard to work

The other good side of things, is that it gives me more time to figure out a good heater solution, a friend of mine actualy suggested a propane BBQ element and an up-side-down stove drawer to capture the heat.. this is actualy something i was playing with already and while i have the element working, its not something i want to use in the house

Thanks for all thoes that follow, and thanks for all your guy's patients with this project, I do apologize its not finished already, but trust me, im also disapointed and looking forward to finaly finishing up!

one thing i am going to try in the next 2 weeks, is simply using some thin styrene instead of lexan, and pulling it over the model, and using a heat gun to shape it. I know this wont be anywhere near a finished body, or durable, BUT, it will at least let me get a simple prototype of the mold going, and i could at least fit it to the slash to get pictures for you guys of SOME progress!

Thanks all!
    So did you ever do the last part?
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    sounding like "Bust"......
    momomotorsports - Slash - PE Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by momo.75 View Post
    sounding like "Bust"......
    Ya know, that comment really makes you sound like a jerk. Just sayin.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge_guy43 View Post
    Ya know, that comment really makes you sound like a jerk. Just sayin.
    Likewise....Just sayin.

RC Qualifier
    I just dont understand peoples lack of patience. YOu all need to realize that he has had personal and FAMILY issues come up. No matter what family ALWAYS will come first, not making a new body for your toy. Give the guy a break already. And then theres the fact that as he stated, it is winter and with out a heated garage I would not be working on it either. Sometimes you just need to shelf a project. Deal with it and stop being a bunch of babies.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    lol......it isn't a lack of patience.....lol. Merry Christmas!