Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Yup, i was actualy just going to come and post an update:

Im working with the CNC machining guy, and hes going to do up a buck for me this weekend. The unfortunate part, is that I am out of the country next week, so I wont be able to see it until next weekend (the 19th or so).. So hopefully everything goes alright while im away and when I come back I should have pictures of the buck/template that im going to take to the thermalformer.

Its taken a few weeks extra for this project then i wanted to, but ive also savedalmost 2 grand by waiting so its been worth it in the pocket book anyhow :P Even though there are a few times i was almost going to say "yeah whatever, 1000 bucks more and its done tomorrow is worth it" hehe..

I will update again as soon as I get back to the country and with any luck some pics of the final prototype!

RC Racer
    nice...cant wait

RC Champion
    cant wait to see it, just like the rest of us on here :P
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I apologize, i was all set to go with the 3d printer guy, even had the file at his company ready for my OK, when this C&C guy called me and told me "hey, id like to do your project this way, and pretty much free of charge".. so.. i mean really, how could i not :P

Between me and him on business trips, its just delayed the project by 2 weeks, but it should be finaly done next week, if its not, then im just going to give the 3d printer guy the OK and move the project forward because i cant wait any longer either :P

The good news is that the thermal former and Lexan supplier are only a few days for them, so once the template is done, im pretty much set and could be on the track with a hummer within a few days testing it

RC Qualifier
    sounds good man. cant wait
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Bring it on, I am anxiously waiting...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    File is in with the CNC machine, he is going to work out the G codes over the next day or so (the tool path)..

Woot!

RC Qualifier
    yay Woot Woot!!!!!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    this is DEFINITELY going to be my next body for my Slash. only concern I've got is how that body is going to cope with the wheelbase change the 2WD slash has due to the front kickup.
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Qualifier
    Its designed for the 4wd and should fit both according to the electronic prototype, plus its a hummer the wheel wells are pretty big

wont know until i make the first one though!

RC Racer
    any nus? I'm very eager to see a prototype
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Champion
    waiting for something new here

RC Qualifier
    waiting, waiting, refreshes page...waiting............

RC Qualifier
    i hate the hummer, but a rally hummer looks quite good, subscribed.
    Slash VXL, E- Maxx 2 , comin' through!

RC Racer
    If you want to send me one to test I'm down....if it last a week without a crack ill buy it. .........my jcustoms lasted a month before it got a crack...now been 3 months and holding up still...................if not, ill buy one after you test it

RC Qualifier
    seriously, if this thing works out set up a deal with Proline or JConcepts or start your own biz making bodies
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    updates??????? (refreshes page)

RC Qualifier
    Just got back from Vacation today and sent a note to the C&C guy.. Ill let you know when i hear from them

RC Racer
    anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting anxious waiting
    The Most Bashable/Washable Truck of the Year

RC Qualifier
    tell the C&C guy to hurry his you know what up...there are some addicted RC nuts waiting to see that body
    Last edited by wirgej38; 06-21-2010 at 04:34 PM.

RC Racer
    ^^^+10!! Need some new eye candy!
    Rusty VXL W/ Sandrail Chassis (Coming soon...)

RC Racer
    hurry hurry hurry i am waiting

RC Qualifier
    Danggg!

Telnets you have some crazy thread stocking RC nuts breathing down your back about these!

I just orderd the new Ford Raptor short course lid for just a tad over $50 bucks!

Tell that dude to step on it!

Put me down for two! Cash in Hand!
    My WIFE drives her slash like she stole it...

RC Qualifier
    Alllllllllright!

Actual worthwhile update!

Final sent to CNC milling company. They will be producing my prototype this weekend if they can fit it in, or early next week. It has ended up being a dense foam template which I can then do a little touching up on, seal it, then i have someone lined up the end of next week to help me make a mold/cast of the prototype.

The other option was me putting together a block of MDF wood to be milled, but the dense foam option was about a 400 dollar cheaper option. Since this project is not only JUST about doing up a hummer, and ALSO about how to do it on a budget, thats why i decided to go that route.

Once thats done, its just heading to the thermal former to get my first run done up!

Ill get some pics up of the prototype once i pick it up from the shop!
    Last edited by Telnets; 06-25-2010 at 12:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    SWEET!!!!!

RC Competitor
    NICE! cant wait for those pics!

RC Qualifier
    "The file looks just fine and your prototype should be ready for pickup monday evening if everything on the machine goes well"

Just got that txt from the CNC company! Now im getting excited

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    "The file looks just fine and your prototype should be ready for pickup monday evening if everything on the machine goes well"

Just got that txt from the CNC company! Now im getting excited
    Very nice sir

RC poster
    ill take one they wil look so sick
    go fast or go home
    the pride of alberta

RC Qualifier
    very cool man. dang I cant wait to see this. been waiting in this thread from day one, lol, need to see a finished product.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    dont be TOOOO excited, there is still a chance that i go to the thermal former and they look at me and say "Yeah, we cant do that because of <insert reason here>"

But yeah, I cant wait to lay the paint down on the first one off the line and take it to the track to bash it up and see how it holds up.... might have to fake sick that day from work! :P

RC Champion
    Just a thought, and i dont know if you covered this.. But is it possible you may have trouble using the design and Hummer name? you know.. lack of proper licencing... You start selling these and GM may have something to say. I hope they come out great, and all that, im just concerned about licencing.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    GM sold the Hummer brand to china...

Regardless of that though, its not likely that the new hummer company is going to drop a lawsuit on my desk for producing a handfull of Hummer "Like" bodies for personal use on my RC car, specially since i wont be trying to sell these things commercially or in large quantities like Jconcepts did with the Ford Raptor body. I'm not actually using the hummer name anywhere either, nor am I re-producing an exact replica of one of their trucks.. its modeled after the Rally body.. if anyone's going to have a problem, I think it would likely end up being Robby Gordon
    Last edited by Telnets; 06-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    GM sold the Hummer brand to china...

Regardless of that though, its not likely that the new hummer company is going to drop a lawsuit on my desk for producing a Hummer "Like" body for personal use on my RC car, specially since i wont be trying to sell these things commercially or in large quantities. Im not actually using the hummer name anywhere either, nor am I re-producing an exact replica of one of their trucks.. its modeled after the Rally body.. if anyone's going to have a problem, I think it would likely end up being Robby Gordon

Actually the sale to the china company fell through. I believe the hummer name is just gone. Except for the mil spec version of course.

EDIT: Click linky!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/bu.../25hummer.html
    Last edited by dodge_guy43; 06-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    ahh, I haven't kept up much on the line, i just say China making knock off hummers and figured these were from the "new" company.

Either way though, i dont think ill run into any real issues for mainly private use..

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I wont complain when I mount mine up...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    updates??????????

RC Qualifier
    Trust me I havent forgotten about the project :P

I just got a pic back from the CNC guy, and... well Ill be honest, its not what i expected. He used a styrofoam block for the prototype and it looks, well.. it doesnt look bad in any way, its just as i said, not what i expected. I thought it would have a bit more detail then it does.

However, Ill be picking it up tomorrow, and he said its what they use all the time for movie props and such, what i need to do with it, is actualy brush on a thin layer of Drywall mud, and sand it with some very fine git sand paper. That will smooth it out, and where i can define more detail where i want it (such as the grill and window edges). He said it will look 100% different when I do that, and then it will be also ready to seal with some water based paint, and perfect for casting into a mold for the thermal former.

So.. Ill be picking up the prototype tomorrow evening and ill snap a pic or two once i get the drywall mud on there and do some sanding (might be wed or thursday depending how long it takes me to do) and then ill post some pics of before and after.

if that doesnt work out very well, then he said there is another option we can do where he uses a really dense and ridged foam and the details are just as good as forming it out of a block of wood..

Hopefully, the drywall mud and sanding option works because its already a month behind where i wanted it to be!

RC Qualifier
    SWEET!!

RC Champion
    yaaaaaay, to bad i just spend a bunch of money on a ford f150 body haha