RC Enthusiast

Just got my 3s5000 Turnegy lipos...some ?'s

Hey Everyone,

I just got three of the 30C Tenergy 3s5000 lipos...man, these things are HUGE! They *barely* fit in the battery tray. I actually was going to hog out the tray compartment towards the rear to give access to the wires so the battery could be pushed down all the way.

Then I realized this morning that if I put the packs with the wire side towards the front of the car, the battery compartment is lower there and I wouldn't have to do a mod. DUH!

I am under the impression that the recommended 19t pinion is not a good option the the stock spur gear. Can someone suggest another size pinion that could give me decent top end and not overheat my system too quickly?

Also, where do you guys buy your parts, both stock and aftermarket? My lhs carries a dismal selection and I just want to place a big order.

I was thinking of getting a esc and motor fan. I've seen some from rcmart. Any suggestions? What run time will I get out of these batteries if I'm using the two fans with these lipos?

Thanks in advance for your help!

RC Qualifier
    i have some ***** 5000 25c 3s packs and i just used a cutting disk on my dremel to cut a small section out of the front of my battery tray, they fit perfect! nice and snug

if you are racing with 3s, the stock 13t pinion would be just fine for most tracks.. or your could go up to a 15t for more top speed

i buy most of my parts from A Main Hobbies, you get SUPER cheap shipping on any order over $100 ($2.40 to ship a 10x6x6" box to canada!)
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Used a Non Ferrus bit on a grinder & cut the back outside rib out, also use Velcro to hold battery, No issues so far, even flipped it several times.

Use Velcro on full battery, Battery tray also full

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

The battery compartment works without mods, it's just quite snug. I'm thinking of just unscrewing the hold down tabs/bolt so that it'll clear the top of the battery with the battery strap in place. I think it'll work, though I might have to get slightly longer screws. Then again, since I have to make an order for other stuff, I might as well get the extension kit.

Are any of you running fans? If so, on the esc, motor or both?

RC Racer
    Just got mine last week. It fits snug, but it fit without any mods to the tray. The truck screams now! I put the 19 tooth pinion in just for fun and it was awesome, but she get's hot quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QgpHPxPW-o

RC Qualifier
    I am running both esc and motor fan/heatsink along with the jconcepts overtray and after 10 minutes hit thermal shutdown. The esc reaches abt 130f I can't run without the tray yet because my track is too wet still but have a feeling will still hit thermal with the vxl3s without the cover..
    slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I bash with my slash, I have turnergy bats the 3s 35c 5000mha , I Use ESC fan and motor heatsink with fan. Geared at 15/52 And i have to many problems with premature LVC that i can even get the temps that high!
    Slash 4x4-Cyclone S-Pro3-Tten-x2

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slash4x4mike
    I bash with my slash, I have turnergy bats the 3s 35c 5000mha , I Use ESC fan and motor heatsink with fan. Geared at 15/52 And i have to many problems with premature LVC that i can even get the temps that high!
    I don't understand...you don't have problems with heat, or you do?

That was the pinion I was considering on running...

How much run time are you getting with those batteries!

Thanks!
    Pete

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ProxyWRX
    Just got mine last week. It fits snug, but it fit without any mods to the tray. The truck screams now! I put the 19 tooth pinion in just for fun and it was awesome, but she get's hot quick!

Great video! What pinion are you going to run for it most of the time?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ProxyWRX

Nice vid

What camera are you using?