RC Racer

Venom Charger with Lipo Questions

I use a Venom Pro with a SPC 11.1 5000 that I bought for use in my Slash 4x4.
    My question is, I charge at 5 amps... does it balance the lipo automatically or do I specifically need to use the "balance" selection, it's default it .1 amps is that correct? I ran 18/54 and heat was an issue, but my Kershaw 9L with MMM geared at 17/54 should be here today. I am just a basher with all grades of terrain from my grass yard..up the ditch and around on the street. Don't need to fly, but like it fast but controllable. Of course a lot of stop n goes too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDeal
    I use a Venom Pro with a SPC 11.1 5000 that I bought for use in my Slash 4x4.
    My question is, I charge at 5 amps... does it balance the lipo automatically or do I specifically need to use the "balance" selection, it's default it .1 amps is that correct? I ran 18/54 and heat was an issue, but my Kershaw 9L with MMM geared at 17/54 should be here today. I am just a basher with all grades of terrain from my grass yard..up the ditch and around on the street. Don't need to fly, but like it fast but controllable. Of course a lot of stop n goes too.

You Venom Pro Charger is capable of 5 amps max. If you are charging at .1 amps you'll be waiting for hours. Since your Lipo is 5000 mAh, you can max out your charger at 5 amps which give you the 1C charging rate. You need to plug your battery into the balancer as well for it to balance charge. Once the charger sees that you are using the balancer, it should do it automatically but I can't recall, it's been a while since I've had that charger.

As for your heating issue, once you get you new setup, your heating issues should go away. I'm running 17/54 on 2S plus heat sink and cooling fan and I have no temp issues. Now, before I got the fan and heatsink I had to drop to a 15/54. I've heard others have no problem with their 18/54 combo on 3S. I guess they are just lucky or they gave go air coming into the body to cool things off. Good Luck!
    FangsCPO
    "How fast was I going Officer?" Wow?

RC Qualifier
    If it works anything like my Skycharger, you have to change the charge rating to 5Amps and set it to balance

RC Qualifier
    I have the Venom Pro charger with the same battery as you too. You need to plug in both the regular plug and the balance plug into the balance tap. Then go to "Lipo Balance" and set it to 5 amps and go! It will balance as it charges. You can see the individual voltages of the pack if you press the "increase" button on the charger. Ending voltage should be 4.2 volts per cell with an overall voltage of 12.6 volts. My SPC has voltages of 4.17, 4.18, and 4.21 by the time it is done (checked with my cellspy). A little off balance but nothing to be concerned about. If they are off by more than .05 volts, then I would start to be worried, lol.

Hope this helps.

RC Racer
    Yep you need to select lipo balance according to the manual. I have the Pro Charger plus(7a max) though. My SPC 5000 3s usually ends at 4.20 4.19 4.19 then when connected to my eflite volt. detector it says 4.20 4.18 4.17 but reads 12.6 total volts. The Venom chargers don't seem to be calibrated to well.
    N4tec x3
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler-in a box

RC Racer
    Thank you, exactly what I needed to know. The manual is less than clear on details. I hope I didn't blow $99 on a poor charger!

RC Racer
    ahhhh crap... live and learn, I put my SPC 3s 11.1 5000 on the venom today set to balance charge, all 3 cells said 2.8v, only took 1400 and 38min at 1C(5A) for it to say full at 4.20v. That can't be good.
    Caution, this message contains words.

RC Qualifier
    ummm... that is strange. Do you have an actual cell voltage checker? I have a cellspy that I use which will tell me the actual voltage of each cell. I would put it on one of those to see what the voltages are. If they are still in the 3.something range and balanced, put it back on the charger and balance charge again. But if they are severely out of balance the pack is bad or something went wrong, don't use it!

Also, I wouldn't run the pack to 2.8 volts per cell. That is pretty low, I would make sure to keep them all above 3. Anything below that and you can cause damage to the cells causing them to not charge right. Let me know what happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDeal
    ... all 3 cells said 2.8v
    That is NOT good.

RC Racer
    I used the LVC in the stock VXL setup, not sure how it got to 2.8 to begin with since the auto cut off should have kicked on. i ordered a MMM and Kershaw 9L, guess I need a new SPC 3s pack too.

RC Racer
    ordering a cell spy today... thank you

RC Qualifier
    That is weird. I have never heard of the stock esc to run a battery too long... haha. Normally it always has EARLY lvc issues to where a battery will still have 3.7 volts per cell but it is cutting out. Have you checked the individual voltages of your SPC battery? If they are all balanced and a little above 3 volts per cell, I would try to balance charge it again. But if this isn't they case, then I would say a new battery is in order.

Edit: Great! I would definitely get a cellspy. They are good to have to know exactly what your cells are at. Most of the time the charger isn't exactly accurate.

RC Racer
    I'm pretty sure it was my fault, even tho I used the LVC on the slash, I was only using lipo "charge" and not "balance charge" on the venom. Is it possible to have gotten just a bad batt?

RC Qualifier
    mmm... I'm not sure. It could be many issues. A bad battery is one of them. Also, since you did not balance charge it when it was that low on charge that could have messed it up. It might have been ok if you balance charged it from that low and it took the charge. It could also be an ESC malfunction if the LVC didn't cut off at 3.2-3.5 volts per cell.

When you get your cellspy check the voltages to see if they are still ok. Hopefully the battery is still good so you don't have to get a new one. Next time you run check your battery after 20 minutes or so and look at the voltages. Do this often during the first run to see if it is the ESC's malfunction. If you rule this out then it is either the battery or charger.

RC Racer
    will do, thanks for the advice... buddy of mine loaning me one of those laser heat guns to test esc temps too

RC Racer
    Just wanted to add SPC service is awesome!