RC poster

is it gas or electric? No.. it is ball bearings...

Am I the only one around here having ball bearing issues every 3-5 battery packs or less?
    I'm mostly a track guy, not racing yet but training to do so sometime this summer. This week, I had the usual Slipper bearing locked up, but this time the ring gear bearing (essentially the rear slipper bearing) exploded and one of the balls from the bearing jumped in the mesh and damaged the spur/pinion in one shot (pinion looks funny, all dented). This locked up the mesh and busted the front drive hub too.
    Last week, the usual slipper bearing plus 1 of the wheel outer bearings. The week before that the slipper bearing plus the traxxas POS pinion (15T) and the spur. Week before that, the motor BB and slipper.
    The other 2 diff box bearings don't feel too good, and may not survive next week... Should I buy stocks from POS Ball Bearing Inc?
    I understand that these BB are small and this truck pushes the envelop quite a bit, I'm not exactly a conservative driver, but why pick such a small bearing on a spot like the slipper clutch or the diff box????? and that plastic bushing....
    I love the hobby, I love the car (truck) and I need this to get my mind off work but I'm not a fan of taking everything apart every time I'm done with "practice".
    Sorry for venting it here, I'm not asking for warranty or a recall, but how about some enhancements to known flaws/weakness??!?

RC Qualifier
    just from flippin through post for the last few weeks, no you're not the only one, the stock bearings either need constant maintenance, repacked with grease, or an aftermarket upgraded set from avid or boca. on my slash i haven't had any issues yet, but on my merv the traxxas stockers were blowing out left and right.
    Last edited by Core; 04-29-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Yup, that's right... i'm a ***** fanboy.

RC Qualifier
    So far, I've melted the plastic hub thing on the slipper shaft and smoked the bearing (replaced with double stacked Boca Green seal bearings and fiber washers) and recently smoked the rear pinion bearing (replaced with Boca Green seal)

If your bearings don't feel as smooth as they should, tear them apart, clean and repack...

If they still don't feel right, replace them before they melt on you

RC Racer
    Tip #1, get a set of spare bearings, http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-FastEddy-Pr...e#ht_934wt_995

Tip #2 go to http://www.kingheads.com/product_inf...roducts_id=919
    And order 2 of those. so far mine has lasted quite a while.

Tip #3 if you havent destroyed your body yet. do yourself a favor and get some fiberglass drywall tape and some shoe glue. search the forums here on body reinforcing. or clean it good and duct tape the crap out of it

Tip #4 requires getting a heatsink and fan for your motor. and get the Proline OVERTRAY for your truck. http://www.jconcepts.net/index.php?/...s_details/2703

Tip #5 How could I forget the Driveshaft mod. just search forums for it. very easy mod to do. and if ya dont wanna do that. Have you ever seen those those green tubes that a rose comes in or another flower filled with water. Plastic lid kinda rubbery. Take a lid off that. cut off the cupped part. slice a couple more slits in it. slide that on the drive shaft with a lil lube. that works descent too.

Again this forum is your friend.

I basically refuse to run on loose dirt or sand anymore unless I am absolutely positilve I want to tear the WHOLE truck apart and clean every single little piece.

That is why its a basher for me. everytime i take it to the track I have to clean all the bearings.

I know how frustrating it is. I wish at times I had gotten something that requires a little less maintenance.
    Good luck.

lol by the time I post something 4 people beat me to it. GG
    Last edited by wallofchaos; 04-29-2010 at 10:20 PM.

RC Racer
    Snake Eater I could NEVER get that Bushing mod to work. Hobby shop guys got theirs working too. Even when they messed with mine they couldnt get it working right. go figure.

Thank you KingHeadz.com

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wallofchaos
    Snake Eater I could NEVER get that Bushing mod to work. Hobby shop guys got theirs working too. Even when they messed with mine they couldnt get it working right. go figure.

Thank you KingHeadz.com

That's odd

It worked fine for me

I did have to file down the inner bolt tabs though

RC Qualifier
    Instead of messing with a bushing or a bearing inside of a bearing, I went this route:
    http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...35&n=MR515-2GS

It is a 5x15x5 bearing. It slides right onto the slipper shaft and fits into the spur carrier. It is 1mm wider than the stock one, but you will be filling the space between the bearing and spur gear with spacers or washers anyway. The stock size 10x15x4 bearing has to have very small ball bearings inside of it. I figure the larger one has more room for larger diameter ball bearings and is probably much stronger and more able to handle heat. So far, it has been working for me.

RC Qualifier
    i suspect you guys are running the gear mesh waaaaay to tight... = overstressing the 1510 bb

the spur doesn't spin 100% true either, mine has a notchiness some point of its rotation... = extra stress on bb, like hitting a pothole on the highway

got a RTR on the bench, received week before and pulling it apart to check.
    Got baaad #1 - gear mesh tight even when its not the 'speedbump' part
    then when it hits #2 the whole transmission just about locks up.

When i got it out of the box for gentle testrun, it felt like really bad cogging.

imho If i had kept running like that, the 1510 would be toast quicksmart.

My PE doesn't have that bad a problem, although its drivetrain still sounds quite agricultural.

32dp gears can be meshed quite sloppy (can just about see daylight between gear teeth), better than running too tight.

And i'd set the mesh accounting for the 'tight' spot in the spur too, if yours suffers same.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiya
    i suspect you guys are running the gear mesh waaaaay to tight... = overstressing the 1510 bb.

I actually set my mesh very loose.

I don't bother with the old paper method, I just roll it back and forth until and adjust until the mesh is smooth and silent

kazuaki, I'll probably go that route myself if my current setup ever fails

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
    So far, I've melted the plastic hub thing on the slipper shaft and smoked the bearing (replaced with double stacked Boca Green seal bearings and fiber washers) and recently smoked the rear pinion bearing (replaced with Boca Green seal)

If your bearings don't feel as smooth as they should, tear them apart, clean and repack...

If they still don't feel right, replace them before they melt on you
    which size bearings would i need to double stack them? mine recently exploded so im looking for a remedy
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_dirtbike
    which size bearings would i need to double stack them? mine recently exploded so im looking for a remedy
    the bearing ? or did the adapter melt down ?
    kingheadz slipper bearing adapter
    Yup, that's right... i'm a ***** fanboy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Core
    the bearing ? or did the adapter melt down ?
    kingheadz slipper bearing adapter
    the plastic adapter is fine, the bearing totally exploded.. luckily they are cheap and i didnt get any BBs in my gear mesh

i'm not too sure when it exploded, but when i put the truck away after practice it was rolling fine and no odd sounds.. go to clean it 2 hours later and all the BBs, bearing rings, and seals were all sitting in the rear bulkhead
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC poster

Ball from Ball bearing embedded in the spur...
    Last edited by mac_heli; 05-06-2010 at 06:47 AM.

RC Competitor
    http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

I was looking at this one myself as a replacement.

High temp oil instead of grease....interesting.

RC Champion
    Mac; How long did you run that after it started making an awful clicking sound?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob
    Mac; How long did you run that after it started making an awful clicking sound?
    It was at the track during training, at least 5 nitro buggies running at the same time, a few more being tunned... no clue how long but the pinion has a total of 4 marks, so at least a few feet before it stopped moving I'd guess...