RC Champion

Dynamite shock bodies and caps

I got my aluminium shock bodies today. They're a great fit and look awesome, but I'm kinda worried that the caps (top and bottom) may come unscrewed over time, since you can't tighten them down as hard as on a plastic body. I did apply a drop of blue loctite on the threads, but I am not sure it will be able to set, since a small amount of oil usually spills on the threads upon tightening them. Anyone got any experience with that?

Also, I got the titanium coated shock shafts today (and noticed that all four of my stock ones were bent yet again, two beyond recovery), has anyone managed to bend these?

RC Champion
    Ugh.. after my slash was sitting for a while, I was moving the shocks some to check for leaks.. at first it looked good, till they started squeaking.. and then I noticed that on both rears and to some extend one front shock there was a "puddle" of oil on the a-arms and the bottom links.. and the shafts were covered in oil, leaking like crazy.. the sealing o-rings look just fine, no damage of any kind visible.. any ideas what's going on?

RC Qualifier
    The TI-N shafts are no more durable than the stocks as far as bending is concerned. The TI-N coating is basically just a very hard coating so that the shock shaft will resist wear better than the stock pieces.

When I build shocks I use Team associated green slime to help seal the orings. It is basically a very thick grease that helps stop the oil from leaking.

What about using teflon tape to seal the threads?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    If I was to order green slime here, I'd pay 12-15$ shipped for the small tube.
    I've tried with two seals that are clearly undamaged, tried with the plastic bottom cap instead of the aluminium, and they still leak like crazy and drag air in from the bottom.. I don't understand it. Horizonhobby made a video on how to assemble them, and I did it exactly like that (they don't use green slime or anything). The seals are fitting fine, no slop, no squeezing needed.
    The top is sealed fine too, no leaks there (which I had with the stocks, which is why I got the aluminium bodies in the first place). What's also weird is that three shocks leak, but one front is perfectly sealed, not a drop out of that one so far. I don't get it.
    Last edited by Arakon; 04-28-2010 at 05:45 AM.

RC Champion
    Has anyone used vaseline on the o-rings? I saw one or two mentions that it "should" work, but nothing definite.
    I'm getting two rebuild kits tomorrow, so hopefully that will do.