RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Transmission issue... I think... HELP

O.K., so I finally got my Slash MT VXL up and running. I need to be clear that im not a noob. I know how to set gear mesh and set trucks up and I know how they work, I know whats going on inside. I keep an eye on temps, and I know how to gear. I have a stampede VXL with the same tires and wheels as my slash MT and ive NEVER had this problem with it.

My setup is as follows,
    Slash chassis
    Protrac kit
    Stock gearbox (brand new)
    VXL motor with a 17 tooth pinion
    86 tooth spur (brand new)
    Proline 30 series badlands
    RPM gear cover
    Slipper set to 1/4 turn out
    This whole setup is brand new.

Yesterday when I was testing this truck for the first time on the road with a 3S pack it was working perfect. No jumps though. Just flat out running. The slipper was getting broken in and I re-adjusted. Temps were acceptable on 3S but the runs were mostly higher speed.

Then, I took it out to the track. On 3S its obviously super fast. But, I stripped a spur. This has never happened. I also notice the top shaft of the motor was SUPER hot... even the tranny cases were hot... really hot. The motor was really hot. The slipper was hot... clearly everything was hot.

So, thinking it might be heat I put in a new spur and went to a 2S pack. Slipper set the same 1/4 out. Ran for about 5 minutes and stripped another spur (i have to stress... I KNOW HOW TO SET MESH) Ive NEVER stripped a spur on my pede VXL ever.

So, I switched the spur again to another new one and set the slipper just a bit looser this time and... 5 minutes later... stripped spur. The motor, case and slipper are still super hot. Hotter than my pede has ever been.

As i as removing the spur I just tried wiggling it and I noticed it wiggles quite a bit. Like the top shaft might be loose in the case. This would make sense as a cause for my mesh issues. If the spur can wiggle the mesh would loosen.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I have a spare tranny and tonight im going to install it and see if it makes a difference. Ill have to find another 86 tooth spur but I think I have one in my pede. If this top shaft being a bit loose is the issue I assume traxxas will warranty something but what should I be asking for? Case halves? Top shaft? Bearings? Obviously a few 86 tooth spurs. Will they send this stuff without me sending anything back? I hope the new tranny fixes the problem. I want to run this truck .
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I had a similar experiance at the track where the motor was working hard and the pinion itself would heat up and that heat transfers to the spur heating that up and makes it more vulnerable to striping.

I switched to a 32p on my 2wd slash though and didnt have a problem after that. not saying that will be the only solution to your issue, i just know it solved mine, for the rest of the season.

RC Champion
    is your pinion still in GREAT shape, just a lttle bit of a 'sharpened' pinion will destroy your spurs.

all the spurs will wiggle a little bit so unless its major wiggle, youare probably ok there.
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

Is there any difference is how I gear for 32p? I think this is a bandaid solution to my problem as Ive never had an issue with 48p gears before. Before I spend the money on 32p stuff im going to try my backup tranny and see if the problem gets solved. In the meantime id like to hear if anyone else has had an issue like this with the top shaft that holds the spur being loose.
    Thanks
    Pave
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    break down your trans yet? one of the bearings in there shot?
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem, pinion was sharp for me and the input shaft bearing was shot, also the inner one. The wiggling helped snap off the input gears pin. I ended up welding together with mig at work and another pin. Grinder and sanded down back to original size. The shaft should play in and out. Once it wiggles the bearings or the shaft have some wear and it'll only get worse from there. Keep grease in the tranny and check bearings often. Also if you go 32p you won't regret it. I've switched, no gear cover that'll fit, and it's awsome. A bit noisy but durable!
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Champion
    Similiar problem a few weeks ago...planetary/sun gears in the differential needed to replaced. They looked fine, but after replacing everything else in the transmission my troubleshooting led me there. TRA2382 if I recall correctly.
    / 16

Is this common for a brand new tranny. This was the first run for it. My pede has been bashed into oblivion for a year and I have no issues with it at all. I dont think the pinion is too sharp, only because I used it for a while in my XL5. Its got well over 20 packs through it so it cant be too sharp.
    Ive taken my pede apart and it wiggles the same amount as my slash does so im thinking that may not be the problem. I just cant figure out why im all of a sudden stripping spurs. This IS the first time ive used this 17t pinion with a VXL and its not a traxxas pinion. Maybe thats part of the problem. I think whats worrying me though is the heat. Ive never had issues with heat but this setup just seems to be generating alot of it... especially all over the tranny case. I think it might be worth moving to an aluminum trans as soon as I can find a blue one in stock somewhere. Ive heard mixed reviews on the integy aluminum case... anyone have any thoughts?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    A guy at our track had a very simlar problem with his slash, he had just replaced the trans case and started stripping gears.

He finally discovered that a washer was out of place inside the transmission causing the top shaft to move out of place under load, this was changing the mesh and stripping the gears.

Check your assembly, it could be the same problem for you!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s