RC Qualifier

Cheap and simple DIY RC Storage Rack

I've used plastic shelves before, but they just don't work as well as I had hoped. I finally got around to building a simple rack that can hold 9 of my RC's at once.

The total is cost about $25-30 and took me a little over an hour to build.

Only tools you need are a drill and some clamps and possibly a stud finder and small t-square.

Parts and prices.

1x6" x 8' = $6
    2x3" x 8' = $2 (3 of these)
    2x4" x 8' = $3
    3 1/2" screws = $8 (box of about 60)
    2" screws = $2 (box of 20 or so)

So while at HD or Lowes, have a worker cut the 2x3"x8' into strips anywhere from 8 to 12" long, your choice.

Also have them cut 3 or 4 5" pieces out of the 2x4"

When you get home, use pieces of the 2x3" as guides by clamping them to the 1x6"x8'. This will ensure your shelf posts will be straight and level.

Drill and install 2 screws through the 1x6" into each 2x3" shelf post.

Space them along the 1x6"x8' so your RC's will fit well. I used roughly 8" as my spacing.

Once that's done, mount the 2x4"x5" piece of wood to the wall. Try to find a stud. Once that is done, mount the shelving unit to those pieces and you're done.

If you have any questions, just ask.

More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Qualifier
    i have a question..why the bottom shelf? that truck would just as easily sit on the ground under the others )
    E REVO 3.3 t maxx wheels/tires 80a 2330kiv ezrun

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiowoodsrider
    i have a question..why the bottom shelf? that truck would just as easily sit on the ground under the others )
    Trying to keep the carpet clean. The bottom truck is a few inches above the ground. I do plan on putting a mat underneath to catch anything that may drop.
    Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-25-2010 at 07:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    holy body clearance slash-man!

haha, I wish I had this many RC cars
    I can see myself owning at least an E-Revo, and some sort of street-car when I get older...
    If I did this, Id make some sort of little "tent" like thing under each rack, to prevent dirt and water from falling onto the other trucks...
    Id also put an old cookie sheet under the bottom shelf...
    My truck gets awfully dirty lol...
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolestDinosoar
    holy body clearance slash-man!

haha, I wish I had this many RC cars
    I can see myself owning at least an E-Revo, and some sort of street-car when I get older...
    If I did this, Id make some sort of little "tent" like thing under each rack, to prevent dirt and water from falling onto the other trucks...
    Id also put an old cookie sheet under the bottom shelf...
    My truck gets awfully dirty lol...
    You'll get there. This hobby is just too addictive. Not pictured; 1/16 merv, 1/5 duratrax firehammer mt, blade cx, gws slow stick, lmh corona helicopter, 1/36 losi baja micro-t, two more rustlers, two more stampedes, and two more 2wd slashes. Oh yeah, can't forget my 3905 E-maxx that is showing up on monday .

As for cleaning, I leave the dirty cars in the garage until they get cleaned. My 1/5 scale can't even come in the house because it always smells like gas.
    Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-25-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiowoodsrider
    Also you have to remember with the trucks being elevated and the suspension being extended, it helps your springs to keep from having the weight of the truck on them while they are sitting, which can lead to spring fatigue over time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    Also you have to remember with the trucks being elevated and the suspension being extended, it helps your springs to keep from having the weight of the truck on them while they are sitting, which can lead to spring fatigue over time.
    I remember hearing about that a long time ago, but I honestly can't claim that's why I made the bottom shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life
    I remember hearing about that a long time ago, but I honestly can't claim that's why I made the bottom shelf.
    I do like it though. I might do something similar in my garage. The only thing is I only need around 3 shelves

Bmr4life: Looks like you could use a few extra spots on that new shelf as well for the couple of other cars you have there that are on the other shelf.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    +1

I always keep my Summit elevated. Helps keep the soft tires from getting flat spots, too.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    +1

I always keep my Summit elevated. Helps keep the soft tires from getting flat spots, too.
    Yeah I forgot about the tires. I let my Slash sit on my cart all winter and they got flat spots and were actually stuck a little bit to my cart. A couple runs though and the flat spots went away.

RC Qualifier
    I like your idea, nice rack.

RC Qualifier
    looks like that set up would let you wash all your cars at once. just wash the top one and all the water would just fall down over all the cars. very smart

RC Qualifier
    You should paint it the same color as your wall. It looks pretty sweet though!
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    You should paint it the same color as your wall. It looks pretty sweet though!
    I actually thought about doing that. Have a lot of paint left over, but I'm holding off until the rest of the room is done.

RC Competitor
    Great idea. I might just have to do the same thing in my storage area. The only other thing I could suggest is to put rubber padding in the top of the "shelves" themselves for a little extra protection for the chassis and a no slip grip for the ones up high. ( That's my OCD thinking for me )

It's a good reason to eat all your veggies and take your vitamins cause if you get any more RC's your going to need to be 7' tall to reach them... j/k

Nice job, good way to keep things organized. Nice job. First time I've seen an idea like that. Thanks for posting it.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    The wood shouldn't scar up the chassis to much. Definitely no more than running them. If your trucks are shelf queens, a mat isn't a bad idea.

That top truck is way up there. I'm 6' tall and I'm on my tip toes reaching to get it up there.

RC Qualifier
    I've used plastic shelves before, but they just don't work as well as I had hoped. I finally got around to building a simple rack that can hold 9 of my RC's at once.

The total is cost about $25-30 and took me a little over an hour to build.

Only tools you need are a drill and some clamps and possibly a stud finder and small t-square.

Parts and prices.

1x6" x 8' = $6
    2x3" x 8' = $2 (3 of these)
    2x4" x 8' = $3
    3 1/2" screws = $8 (box of about 60)
    2" screws = $2 (box of 20 or so)

So while at HD or Lowes, have a worker cut the 2x3"x8' into strips anywhere from 8 to 12" long, your choice.

Also have them cut 3 or 4 5" pieces out of the 2x4"

When you get home, use pieces of the 2x3" as guides by clamping them to the 1x6"x8'. This will ensure your shelf posts will be straight and level.

Drill and install 2 screws through the 1x6" into each 2x3" shelf post.

Space them along the 1x6"x8' so your RC's will fit well. I used roughly 8" as my spacing.

Once that's done, mount the 2x4"x5" piece of wood to the wall. Try to find a stud. Once that is done, mount the shelving unit to those pieces and you're done.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Man, that's sweet!!! Why I haven't thought of that!! That's a perfect space savings!! Ever since, I put all my RC cars and trucks on my bar table... After awhile, some of the tires get stuck like glue ya know?!

CarGuy7a Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohiowoodsrider

CarGuy7a is right about the suspension issues which can lead to spring fatigue over time.

I just didn't realize that til now..
    Last edited by SweetCool; 04-27-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    E-MaxxBL~FLM-Rustler~Mini-Revo~VXL Stampede~Baja5B

Cool idea!!!!!!
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

I finished mine up today. Mine's just a small RC rack since I only have 4 vehicles. I just used a 2x8 and 2x4's I already had laying around and I also had the screws already. Total project cost for me.......FREE!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome man, post pictures.

Awesome man, post pictures.
    I didn't space mine out as far as you did. I left maybe 1 inch clearance off the top of my bodies. I used my Slayer for reference since the short course bodies are the tallest.

I will post pics once I find a spot to mount it on the wall in my garage. Which will be fun since there isn't much space on my walls It is nice though, I'll be able to finally have a spot to put my trucks and leave the bodies on instead of pile them on my other shelves.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 04-28-2010 at 09:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. I'd like to see how you did it with the 2x8s.

Cool. I'd like to see how you did it with the 2x8s.
    I got it mounted finally. I didn't get done till about 9 tonight I was pretty busy today. It only took about 10 minutes to mount. I'll have pics up tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    wow... thats a really cool idea, another plus not only will it save springs, but it'll keep flat spots from forming on some of your softer compounds of tires, my only problem no real room for this where my stuff is currently, that and I'd need alot more rack then you have, or racks, I'm currently at the 30+ point

RC Qualifier
    Upon further thinking, I may take mine down and move the shelves closer. I still have some precut 2x3's left over. I may be able to fit another 3 or 4 trucks on there if I make the shelves really close.

Ok I got a pic of mine today. This worked out great for storing all my RC's in a smaller amount of space.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Here's my rack that holds my rigs. I didn't make it, but it works nicely to hold my cars. I think it was an old Melissa & Doug rack from the Hobbyshop.

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Great racks guys. CarGuy7a, how wide are the 2x4's that you are using as shelves? Mine at 6 inches, which I think is more than is required. Yours look like less, maybe 5 inches? Thanks

Great racks guys. CarGuy7a, how wide are the 2x4's that you are using as shelves? Mine at 6 inches, which I think is more than is required. Yours look like less, maybe 5 inches? Thanks
    I made them 9 1/2 inch actually. I had to make it that wide for my Slayer since it's so darn wide with the body on. It was actually a tad too wide for my other trucks but I wanted to make everything the same size so it wouldn't matter what order or shelf I put them on.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 05-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm talking about left to right. My boards are also long like yours. Some are 8 inches, some are 12.

I'm talking about left to right. My boards are also long like yours. Some are 8 inches, some are 12.
    Ohh ok. I made it 1 1/4 space between the 2x4's so that would be a total of 4 1/4 inch counting 2x4's actual width.

I had to go pretty narrow on that as well according to the way the bottom of the slayer is made. I didn't want the weight sitting on the front servo guard like it did on my little duratrax stand.

RC Competitor
    cool i like your bodies
    will be new owner of a 1/16 scale slash