RC Enthusiast

What Lipo Batteries do You Run

So, i know what charger i want, the Sky Charger B6AC, but now im tring to find an affordable battery.

I need a battery that uses traxxas connectors or is easy to solder them on and that can work with the VXL motor/ESC combo.

So post your battery and maybe i can get some suggestions that i can look off to help my decision.
    Slash 4x4

RC poster
    I have been running the SMC lightning volt 5200 7.4 hardcase with good consistent results. I purchased a Red Venom LiPower 2 weeks ago and have already had to send it back to Venom for warranty. The Venom developed an internal wiring problem, it would cut out when hitting bumps and also if you touched the wires while connected to the charger it would set off the "check connection" alarm. Not very happy with the Venom, it cost me 8 bucks to send it back. I purchased from the shop at the track and the owner basically told me he could do nothing to help me, just call Venom. One more reason I will do all my shopping online, much better prices, selection and I dont have do deal with some know it all hobby shop dork.

RC Qualifier
    First off... there are many many threads about batteries.
    Second... everyone will tell you that their battery is the best.
    Third... here is a list of the most popular batteries...

SPC batteries (spcracing.com) - Traxxas connectors installed, fit excellent in battery tray, great warranty and service

*********.com - many different options (2s, 3s, every capacity, hardcase, softcase), very cheap (price that is), slow shipping from Hong Kong, not really any warranty, no connectors. You will also have to notch out a little slit in the battery compartment for the wires since they come out the sides.

Blue lipos (hobbypartz.com) - pretty much the same as *********, but shipped from the U.S. so cheaper shipping and a little better warranty.

Venom lipos - fairly priced, many options, great fit with Traxxas connectors, decent customer support.

Thunder Power - very nice packs, a little expensive, good customer service, Traxxas connectors installed, use Thunder Power balance taps which wouldn't work with your charger.

Maxamps... we won't really go there, lol. good quality pack with good service and Traxxas connectors, but VERY expensive.

I'm sure there are many more brands of lipos but these seem to be the most popular on this forum. Also, you didn't mention if you wanted a 2s or 3s so I just listed the brands and not prices since they would vary so much.

RC Qualifier
    running 2 different lipo's. 1 7.4v 5000mah hardcase venom, and 1 11.1v 5000mah softcase spc. no issues with either, price is pretty close too. nothing bad to say about either one
    E-Revo - fried MMM
    Wife rides
    MERV
    Losi 1/36th

RC Champion
    Venom 2S 5000mah 20c Hard Case Batteries come with Traxxas Connectors!

RC poster
    I use these ******* 5800mah Lipo 7.4v. Very good battery with loads of power.
    Soldering on the Traxxas connector was very easy, the only problem I had was that i had to cut a small part of the chassis. The lipo wires come out at the side, but this makes no difference to the strength of the chassis.
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...dProduct=10285

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese
    Venom 2S 5000mah 20c Hard Case Batteries come with Traxxas Connectors!

x 2 working good for me. Im also runnning the Venom 2s 8000mah 25c they also work great.

RC Racer
    I use tenergy 2s 7.4v 5000mah 20c the were 25 bucks each shipped to my door plush $3 at my lhs to solder the traxxas connectors. i have had no problems. im not saying they are the best but tenergy is a good company.

RC Qualifier
    I use the Blue Lipos from hobbypartz.com

So far they're all charging good, and producing good run times and power. The 3S's were $33 a piece, and the 2S's were $20 a piece. One of the best bang for your buck batteries out there.

Slash MMP 4600kv
    Slash VXL

RC Champion
    I relly want to get those new venom 2S 5000mah 35C that can be charged at 3C rating cutting charging time down to 20min. Lot more punch too!

RC Qualifier
    i got the venom hardpack 2s 5000mah 40C at 3C rating its super nice. also if you dont have a charger that can charge over 6A then the 3C wont be of use.
    Revo 3.3, Slash 4x4, Savage X it really does suck.

RC Qualifier
    I have two Venom 3s 5400mah 20c soft packs for bashing and two Venom 2s 5600mah 50c hardcases for racing. All have been great.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Racer
    I got a red hardcase ***** ********* 4000 25c, from ********* (great battery) And two hard case ******* 5000 30c on order.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflaker
    I use the Blue Lipos from hobbypartz.com

So far they're all charging good, and producing good run times and power. The 3S's were $33 a piece, and the 2S's were $20 a piece. One of the best bang for your buck batteries out there.

but their customer service sucks. i had a pack go bad for no realreason called them and talked to them. i had 2 days left on the warrenty but they said because by the time i shipped them and they got there the warrenty would be up that i was pretty much beat

RC Competitor
    I relly want to get those new venom 2S 5000mah 35C that can be charged at 3C rating cutting charging time down to 20min. Lot more punch too!
    would this make the run time be shorter? and would the battery not last as long?

RC Qualifier
    I run 2s 40c 5000mah *****s
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    i use 2s 4500 30c and 3s 5000 25c *****s.. great performance from both
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    has anyone done a real life comparison (apples to apples on specs) against these inexpensive BLUE lipo's to some of the more expensive ones such as SPC, etc.. ?
    slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I have:

2 SPC 2s 5000mah 20c hard packs. (not Roar Approved)

1 Venom 2s 5400mah 20c soft pack. (not Roar Approved)

1 Venom 2s 3800mah 35c hard pack (Roar Approved)

I won't say which batter is better because out of the 4 I have, the 3800 pack is new and never used yet. Out of the 2 SPC and the 1 Venom packs I have not noticed any difference from each other.

Don't get caught up with the C rating if your not racing. Look for an 8000mah battery pack, what this will do is give you the longest possible run time over say a 3800 pack. Basically 8000mah will give you 45-50 minutes (roughly) versus the 3800mah will give you 15-20 minutes (roughly).

Bashing you'll want the higher mah, Racing you'll want a 3800-5000mah 35c-50c battery.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC poster

lipo choice

Quote Originally Posted by radman123
    So, i know what charger i want, the Sky Charger B6AC, but now im tring to find an affordable battery.

I need a battery that uses traxxas connectors or is easy to solder them on and that can work with the VXL motor/ESC combo.

So post your battery and maybe i can get some suggestions that i can look off to help my decision.
    I run ******* 3s 3000mah 35 bucks shipped traxxas connectors & ******* hard case 2s 5000mah 42 dollars shipped eBay great battery power and life four cheap money

RC Qualifier
    I have 7 ***** hard case and 4 soft case blue lipos...I like them both. I have 2 skychargers and have had no issues with those either.

RC Enthusiast
    I have one 3s Blue Lipo 5000mah that I love....but I sure havent seen them in stock whenever I check their site. Then I also have a venom 8cell 5000mah Nimh that I use and two 4600 Tenergy packs I got a year ago on ebay $30 for a pair. Soon as I see Blue lipos in stock ill try and snag few
    Slash 4x4
    T-Maxx 2.5 #4910
    Stampede #3610

RC Qualifier
    I've been more than happy with my 3s 40C pack from JTBG

Not cheap by any means, but it fits the stock tray with only minor modification (loosen hold down pin a few turns) and even though it's only rated at 5000mah, it's actually closer to 6000mah

I've even had it submerged for over 10 minutes without issue

Power is insane!!

RC Champion
    I have 2 3s Venom 6400 lipos. I love them. The only other lipos I have used are maxamps overpriced lipos. These venoms are no different than the maxamps 8000mah 3s lipo I had used. I had one of the venom lipos stolen at the track a few weeks ago, so I am going to get another one or two of them. They are on towerhobbies for $80 but with a good email code, it brings the cost down.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Enthusiast
    Hyperion 3S 35C 5000mah

RC Qualifier
    ROAR legal
    Best punch you ever get
    Hardcase

I use this. and I like them alot !!

slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

Quote Originally Posted by MVB
    ROAR legal
    Best punch you ever get
    Hardcase

I use this. and I like them alot !!

Who makes that battery?
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... charged at 3C rating cutting charging time down to 20min.
    Sorta a myth. Yes charging at 3c will shorten charging times, but not 20 minutes.

Lipos use that big amperage until they get to the constant voltage mode, and then the amps fall off, and the pack takes just as long to charge. I charge a 5ah pack at 7 amps, and it still takes just about an hour to fully charge, maybe only 50 minutes.

Also keep in mind 3c charging takes a charger that can put out 3x capacity in amps, lets keep it 5ah to make it easy, or 15 amps output.

Thats 189 watts, meaning you'll need a power supply good for about 200+ watts.

It can be done... just don't expect to throw a 3c charge rate on any old charger.

RC Competitor
    do not buy venoms they are junk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8000 lipo bad out of box ,nickle exploded on first charge with my e station charger they suck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by auto_5
    do not buy venoms they are junk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8000 lipo bad out of box ,nickle exploded on first charge with my e station charger they suck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wrong. Venom LiPo's are awesome. I now have five of them and all are working great. They may not make the greatest Nimh, but their LiPo's are just as good as any other company.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.