RC Competitor

Question mamba max vs velineon

whitch shoul i put in my slash mamba or velineon iwant water proof but i heard mamba goes faster
    will be new owner of a 1/16 scale slash

RC Champion
    is this in a 1/16 slash or 1/10? which mamba system are you referrig to?
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

Mambas are water resistant which means they are good for bashing through puddles and such but submerging them in water may kill them. The VXL should stand being submerged. If water resistant is good enough I would go with the Mamba. They are totally adjustable through Castle Link, are much more flexible for different set ups, and have a much longer warranty period.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Mamba Max Pro = awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Mambas are water resistant which means they are good for bashing through puddles and such but submerging them in water may kill them. The VXL should stand being submerged. If water resistant is good enough I would go with the Mamba. They are totally adjustable through Castle Link, are much more flexible for different set ups, and have a much longer warranty period.
    Not to mention the LVC on the Castle ESC is fully adjustable and pretty rock solid, whereas the VXL's LVC you never know when it's going to kick in whether it kicks in at the right point or way early.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsrcs
    1/10th scale

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsrcs
    the mamba max pro 9000

Quote Originally Posted by slash110
    the mamba max pro 9000
    Mamba Max Pro is a great choice the 9000kv motor for a Slash is a very bad choice. You will have heat issues that you may not be able to gear around. The 5700 is as high as kv motor as I would try but the 4600kv is probably a better choice.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Mamba Max Pro is a great choice the 9000kv motor for a Slash is a very bad choice. You will have heat issues that you may not be able to gear around. The 5700 is as high as kv motor as I would try but the 4600kv is probably a better choice.
    Actually I felt that my Castle 4600 motor was too much KV for my Slash. It always ran hot in it even geared 16/86 on 2s it would get 180F in about 15 minutes. But I also run in short cut grass. Probably if I ran on a smooth dirt surface it may have been ok.

RC Competitor
    so witch do you think 5700 or 4600

If I had to pic between the two for a slash, I would pick (and did pick) the 4600. But like I said in my previous post I still found that for me the 4600 was still too much kv for the slash and ran too hot.

Now I am running a Castle Sidewinder ESC with a VXL 3500kv motor. I put the 4600 setup in my Rustler.

RC Qualifier
    I was too lazy to read of the previous post, on my Local track the 4600kv Castle motor is too fast so most of us have a Traxxas VXL system.

Myself and 5 , or 6 others Run a VXL and Castle ESC with Castle Link so we can fine tune our setups. I love my Sidewinder/Vxl combo I plan on doing the same for my wife when her Titan 12T starts to go south
    His: 2 many Mods
    Hers: JC Goosebumps, LVA/2s

RC Qualifier
    +1 on castle esc and vxl. I had 5700 and it ran at 160 and up, no matter what gearing. I run sidewinder and vxl. Geared 16/54 32p and it's freaking awsome on 3s. 5700 went into the pede with the vxl esc. Going to see how it works out tomorrow....
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by slash110
    whitch shoul i put in my slash mamba or velineon iwant water proof but i heard mamba goes faster
    i wold also go for the sidewinder vxl

RC Qualifier
    I own both the MM and the sidewinder and I think the MM has a more durable design, Also I like the longer motor leads on the MM (this opinion is based on mini revo running)
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    i would go with the Mamba Max Pro....its amazing
    WTB E-Maxx
    Tamiya M03
    Mini-Quake
    CX2
    Blade CP+

RC Competitor
    i like the mamba max pro but everyone saye the motors heat up to much and i the description on the side winder it says that the side winder doesnt heat up alot

RC Qualifier
    get a sidewinder i called castle the other day and they said do not put a mamba max in a slash go ccsidewinder 4600
    SLASH W. SIDEWINDER 5700 ON 2S

RC Competitor
    and do you think it would be better if i got a sidewinder with 5000 8 cell nimh

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeCrazy96
    get a sidewinder i called castle the other day and they said do not put a mamba max in a slash go ccsidewinder 4600
    Why did they say sidewinder over the MM? Did they give you any reasons?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    No nimh on castle esc! They eat them for dinner, the nimh can't supply even the 70 continuous amps of the sidewinder. I think mmp is around 125-140 continuous. Any nimh will heat up unless you baby it! I still haven't tryed nimh with vxl at all

RC Enthusiast
    I run nimhs in my brushless blitz which is running the sidewinder 4600. They do fine. The batteries get a little warm but nothing that would worry anyone. I used to run the same nimhs in my slash vxl and they got just as warm, but once again, no dangers of hurting the battery. Gonna be switching to all liFe batts soon, hear they are great and safe.

Also, don't go above the 4600 in a short course truck. In my blitz I'm running the sidewinder 4600 and thought many times of trading it for a vxl motor. I don't have heat issues, but I like the feel of the vxl motor in a sc truck.

RC Competitor
    could i run a sidewinder motor in a mamba esc

RC Competitor
    oh so it doesnt matter what castle motor i use

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvrc
    +1 on castle esc and vxl. I had 5700 and it ran at 160 and up, no matter what gearing. I run sidewinder and vxl. Geared 16/54 32p and it's freaking awsome on 3s. 5700 went into the pede with the vxl esc. Going to see how it works out tomorrow....
    Ran it today, outstanding! Simply amazing that the velineon esc will run this motor with barely any heat issues!!!! The motor was hot of course but the esc was warm on 2s and about 150 on 3s. Pretty sure I checked after 15 min of stop go. Just to let people know incase they have vxl esc and no motor......
    But back to the subject,
    The 4600 is also too much for the slash, loves heat. Idk if that's how they run or just my driving style. The castle esc is best bang for your buck, programable, and +1 on customer service.

RC Qualifier
    if you want water proof you will have to go with the Velineoní system. If you can do w/o water proof keep reading.

I own 3 sidwinders and 1 Mamba max (not the pro).

I would go mamba max system. The sidewinder I have in my kids car has 22/90 gears with the 5700 kv motor running 7.4 5000 30c lipos and the esc over heats (motor is pushing the heat limits to). I run the mamba max in my Rustler with the same bat and motor and I never over heat the esc. I run a fan on my kids Rusty, seems to have fixed it. MM is just a stronger unit. After you buy the cable to program the sidewinder, the cost is not much different to.

If your going to buy one get the mamba max with the 4600 motor imo.

A set up I like if you can get a Velineon motor is that with the MM. IMO the Velineon motor is a solid motor. Runs way cooler to.

Just my 2 cents