RC Racer

Going LiPo advice

Ok, so screw what I said earlier about staying stock. I want to do a few jumps too. So that being said, I need some advice..

I have the dewalt 12V and stock everything else, to go LiPo what should I buy to get going (LVC, charger, batteries, gearing).

I am not looking to set the summit speed record, just to clear the 20' creek gap

I would be looking to still run my NiMH's for crawling too if that helps.

Thanks!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Qualifier
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

RC Racer
    Holy Moly it is cheaper to do the upgrade than I thought! The whole package costs the same as two 5000NiMH. Thanks for the links!

So now the $1,000,000 question... How much faster with LiPo and, say, 14/68 gearing?
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Qualifier
    i just bought lipos last night so i cant tell you but i have an 8 cell NIMH in my slash and when i dropped in a 3s it was a huge difference
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

I'm going lipo as well waiting for my 5000 30c to get here.7 cell nihm will have more punch at first but start to fade fast. The lipo more even discharge so good power till they hit lva or lvc.As i understand it.I recommend spending a little more on a higher watt charger if you plan to charge multiple packs at the same time.The packs are cheaper and way lighter better current supply.I paid 30 bucks a pack shipped.Still cheaper than my promatch nimh.So i guess I'll have to order some more 4 won't be enough
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh jorgan
    So now the $1,000,000 question... How much faster with LiPo and, say, 14/68 gearing?

theresa few videos round on you tube and one of them is a summit with dual kershaw motors

the summit on stock tyres goes a few kmph faster then stock, however, cos of the big soft tyres on the summit it shakes like a dog getting rid of water

however

the video i saw suggested going to different tyres, stiffining suspension/shock oil

but you need to remember, the summit wasnt built for speed

but man i sure as heck admire your determination to get it to do warp factor 9 and look forward to some videos of it in youtube or the likes doing this

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    I'm going lipo as well waiting for my 5000 30c to get here.7 cell nihm will have more punch at first but start to fade fast. The lipo more even discharge so good power till they hit lva or lvc.As i understand it.I recommend spending a little more on a higher watt charger if you plan to charge multiple packs at the same time.The packs are cheaper and way lighter better current supply.I paid 30 bucks a pack shipped.Still cheaper than my promatch nimh.So i guess I'll have to order some more 4 won't be enough
    I hope you have better luck with your $30.00 LiPo's than I had, one came in with no charge on 2 cells(they are 3s LiPos). Since stupidly I ordered them from China they wanted me to ship a $30.00 battery pack back to china for warranty, the shipping would have been $36.00. Here is their last reply.

"Dear customer,

Sorry but pls understand we shipped the items to you as new from our supplier and they should have been tested before shipment. If you couldn't send the battery back for check, we cannot provide any replacement item. Pls understand. Sorry and thanks.

Regards,
    Holly

http://www.yeshobby.com "
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I hope you have better luck with your $30.00 LiPo's than I had, one came in with no charge on 2 cells(they are 3s LiPos). Since stupidly I ordered them from China they wanted me to ship a $30.00 battery pack back to china for warranty, the shipping would have been $36.00. Here is their last reply.

"Dear customer,

Sorry but pls understand we shipped the items to you as new from our supplier and they should have been tested before shipment. If you couldn't send the battery back for check, we cannot provide any replacement item. Pls understand. Sorry and thanks.

Regards,
    Holly

http://www.yeshobby.com "
    Me too. i read your post and was not getting them then i was then i wasn't. Decided take a chance.ordered them from go market on ebay{hong kong} I guess we will see
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Me too. i read your post and was not getting them then i was then i wasn't. Decided take a chance.ordered them from go market on ebay{hong kong} I guess we will see
    I suppose I should be honest, I did get the pack to charge, and after a bunch of cycles on the charger it eventually did balance, but realistically how many cycles can I now expect from this pack? I was more because I wanted to have the set up running for our spring break vacation and roosting sand on the beach with our rustlers(which would have been possible had there been 2 working packs). oh well.

My next ones will either be Maxamps(they now give free warranty for anyone who didn't notice) or SMC's. I am glad I got into LiPo's the experience has been one of learning, but I will not likely ever buy another NiMh pack

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I suppose I should be honest, I did get the pack to charge, and after a bunch of cycles on the charger it eventually did balance, but realistically how many cycles can I now expect from this pack? I was more because I wanted to have the set up running for our spring break vacation and roosting sand on the beach with our rustlers(which would have been possible had there been 2 working packs). oh well.

My next ones will either be Maxamps(they now give free warranty for anyone who didn't notice) or SMC's. I am glad I got into LiPo's the experience has been one of learning, but I will not likely ever buy another NiMh pack
    If the max amps weren't{put a gun to your head gimme all your money}expensive.The smc"from here don't look to bad http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...c0f06637367And ya i agree you get what you pay for most of the time.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of *******'s and they are great packs. Very powerful and punchy. In addition to the pair of 2s packs you could also get one of these: http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack and one of these: http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack to give you 5s power on the Dewalt and make it scream.

Good gearing would be a 16t pinion and both 65, 62, and 58 spurs, you already have the 68, so you can try different ratios. Spurs are cheap. 16/62 should give you about 26mph on 4s and 32mph on 5s, assuming stock sized tires.

One problem with a LVA is that the buzzer part is not waterproof so it must be kept in a balloon or something if you plan to go through the creek and not just over it. I run a 2s Novak Smart Stop and place it inside the receiver box to protect it in my ER.

RC Champion
    If the max amps weren't{put a gun to your head gimme all your money}expensive.The smc"from here don't look to bad http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...c0f06637367And ya i agree you get what you pay for most of the time.
    I am just pretty hung up on the waterproof claims of Maxamps. I called them before and they said they would stand behind being water proof. but ya they are dang expensive.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the input guys. I figure I will do a set-up for all round speed fun (LiPo and 18/?), nothing outrageous to keep the heat down. Another set-up (NiMH) for crawling (13/70) and the last, well, it is going to be a all or none evil kneivle (sp?) style, one shot go for the gap set-up. Heat would not be a concern because it would only be running for.. 20 seconds maybe..? So that means biggest pinion, smallest spur that would work and maybe moding my spare tranny.

I know MMM would be great here, but would hurt a lot more if this goes badly..

This **** is going to be EPIC!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

Quote Originally Posted by hugh jorgan
    Thanks for all the input guys. I figure I will do a set-up for all round speed fun (LiPo and 18/?), nothing outrageous to keep the heat down. Another set-up (NiMH) for crawling (13/70) and the last, well, it is going to be a all or none evil kneivle (sp?) style, one shot go for the gap set-up. Heat would not be a concern because it would only be running for.. 20 seconds maybe..? So that means biggest pinion, smallest spur that would work and maybe moding my spare tranny.

I know MMM would be great here, but would hurt a lot more if this goes badly..

This **** is going to be EPIC!
    I can't wait for the vid.Please tell me/us you are going to video this .We need
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Hmmm.... video eh? Haven't decided if i want any evidence of the carnage I'm thinking of Besides, might just be a painful reminder in the end

You'll probably see the video if it was a success, and never hear from me again if it wasn't.

First gotta get the parts to make the magic and then mix with equal parts of liquid courage!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit