RC Qualifier

Trying to decide what to buy...

I want to buy something new for my slash...

for $160, I can replace my possibly dead Titan with a VXL...

or for $166 I can replace:
    My wheels
    rear bumper mount
    rear A arms
    Rear shock tower
    Frotn shock tower
    Front A arms
    front caster blocks
    rear bearing carriers
    front bearing carriers
    front bumper
    both skid plates
    and the rear bumper
    with RPM
    (so pretty much every replacement part that RPM sells for the 2WD Slash)
    AND buy a new titan...

It is pretty much a no brainer.

What I really want to know, is what could I narrow down off this list of RPM stuff?
    I havnt bought any replacement parts for my truck yet (except the big bores I got)...
    I was wondering if any of those parts are kinda irrelevant?
    The only thing I am absolutely GOING to buy is the rear shock tower (my stock one is warping backwards), and the front bumper (mine has definitely seen better days)

I want to see if I can knock around $40 to $50 from that list to accomodate the purchase of a new body, and some paint...

If anyone has an different suggestions about how I should spend my money, I will happily take advice.
    I am trying to stay within the original budget I saved up of $160
    Last edited by CoolestDinosoar; 04-21-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    i would upgrade the motor system. I tend to just fix what breaks when it comes to the rpm plastics.

For your motor ESC system. I would recommend getting a Sidewinder ESC along with a castle link and a VXL motor. IMO the Sidewinder is more solid than the VXL ESC because of it's adjustability and rock solid adjustable LVC. The LVC on the VXL is a little iffy. Mine recently started acting up constantly and I ultimately replaced it with a Sidewinder.

As far as your caster blocks and bearing carriers I would go traxxas aluminum on those and RPM everything else. Even the RPM casters and carriers can break.

RC Qualifier
    Motor and esc first and replace the other stuff as it breaks. You will like the Brushless motor better than the other stuff anyway. I would also consider these before some of the other stuff http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproductdet...inid=35&id=346. I hear good things about them and I am ordering them now myself. If you have bashed your truck at all I bet your are already bent.

Good luck and have fun with witch ever you decide.

RC Racer
    Take a eZrun combo, 60A esc and 8.5T 4000kv motor, it's cheap on ebay. I think around US$60-80.
    With the rest of money take some up :-D
    eZrun ESC 60A+4000kv / 2x lipo 5000mah *******

RC Racer
    You can get the VXL for 130 if you trade in(working or not) your titan and stock esc...

If you are are basher, brushless power is awesome and the waterproof VXL is nice to have. Traxxas has a lifetime guarantee on electronics, so if you do have a problem, you can get a new one easily.

I would go ahead and get bearing carriers and castor blocks from RPM. Like others have said, replace other stuff with RPM as it breaks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You can get a VXL system off the forums HERE for $125 shipped. This will leave you with $35 to upgrade your rear shock tower and front bumper.
    I see value in many of the parts you have listed at some point. But if your motor/esc isnt giving you the performance you want... or requires constant maintenance they way my titan does, getting a motor/ESC that will be more impressive is going to make you way happier than a bunch of plastic.
    I also think much of the stuff youve listed is stuff you could/should wait till the stock part breaks and upgrade then. For instance, a stock front shock tower can last a long long time. The skidplats arent necessary. The rear bumper is, again, not a necessity. I like the RPM rear bumper mount way more than the stock one so thats a valid upgrade. And the steering parts are all good upgrades but not NECESSARY right now. Get a brushless system of some kind... sell your stock XL5 for a few bucks and spend the extra money on the parts you really do NEED. Youll be happy you did.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Guys eBay is a wonderful place I got my whole vxl system for $119 with shipping NEW....proline beadlocks for $18 per pair......just looking for new tires to put on them...EBAY use it

RC poster
    wow. $119 is a great deal shipped. That's the type of deal I could convince my wife of so I can upgrade to the VXL.

RC Enthusiast
    when i bought my slash so the only thing i broke in first 3monts was the front shock tower.
    then i went for the VXL combo and 2s lipo and then i had to replace:
    caster blocks, stering blocks, stub axle carriers for the trx aluminum which is around 80$
    front and rear arms + few pins for RPM
    not talking about tires and the body is going slowly too.

the slash is pretty tough with the titan but once u go brushless u gonna have to replace all these parts. so keep in mind if u go VXL it is gonna cost u allot more then 160$ because of the breakages. u could also go with the EzRun 8.5+60A esc and keep the rest of the money for the replacement parts.

RC Champion
    I say get the car ready for the VXL (with stronger parts), and don't buy the titan. So this means you have all the new parts and $20 towards a VXL (I would get a Sidewinder).
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

There are VXL systems on the forums right now for $115 shipped. They are waterproof also. If you sell your XL5 to anyone for $25 complete youll have $60 to upgrade a bunch of stuff to RPM. I see NO point in upgrading parts without a good motor ESC combo. You will likely break more parts with a VXL... but without it you just have a titan... take the risk... get the VXL... break the parts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    For strength the RPM rear Carriers are nice. However I had them on my Rusty with Slash arms and a FLM Aluminum Tranny with 1 degree toe in arm mounts.I never seen any hint of toe in. Replaced them with STOCK plastic TRX cariiers and by some amazing grace I HAD TOE IN!!!! So if you upgrade your carriers go with TRX Aluminum Ones. The STRC's may be direct copies of the stockers and that would also be a good alternative. Nitro Rusty/Slash 4x4 rear carriers are a nice upgrade. The camber link mount is a little straighter and higher and helps plant the outside wheel through the turns.....
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, I would LOVE to upgrade to the BL systems you guys have suggested, the only problem is:
    $160 is my budget.
    I am 17, I don't have a job (I saved up my X-mas money...), I am going off to college soon, and if I buy a BL, there goes my Slash budget, and of course as soon as I get BL, things will probably break left and right...
    But I will have no money to fix them.

I want to bulletproof my truck with the money I have now, so I won't have to worry about buying a bunch of replacement parts later.

I like the performance my Titan gives/gave me.
    I will learn from my mistakes, and pay more attention to it next time ( I never really mainteined it, because I didnt know how/ didnt think I needed to)

In reality, I should have put batteries somewhere on that list too, since I only have 1 7-cell ni-Mh battery :|

I will probably end up buying a new titan, the rear shock tower, and a front bumper, and just waiting to see what happens...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubic
    I say get the car ready for the VXL (with stronger parts), and don't buy the titan. So this means you have all the new parts and $20 towards a VXL (I would get a Sidewinder).
    I like this idea best, except I ONLY have $160...
    so, I can do either one or the other...
    And if I do not buy a titan, then my only truck becomes a roller...
    I say buy a new titan

OR

I could ask what other types of motors are there out there that I could run off my XL5 that may be better/cheaper/superior/longer lasting than the titan?

RC Enthusiast
    I am doing pretty much the same thing. My original plan was to buy when needed. So my dilemma was by new motor vxl or get it tough as possible before I go brushless. I chose the last one. I figure brushless on stock parts might equal more broken parts, so later in the summer I will probably go brushless.

Just a thought, but next time you DONT want someone to suggest you go with a brushless system... maybe dont put it in your list of things your considering to buy.
    But, no worries. I suggest not buying another titan. I just lost mine today. I maintained in meticulously. Removed and cleaned it after every run. Lubed it, took care of it and it STILL only lasted for about 15 packs.
    The motor most people see great results from is the Electrafly S600 you can get at tower hobbies. Its about $15, performs much like the titan and seems to last much longer. May here swear by them.
    If your upgrading stuff on your truck I think a solid aluminum upgrade is the rear carriers. They cost about $20 but are well worth it. My personal preference is to go with aluminum carriers on the back, aluminum castor blocks and steering knuckles up front. The rest is RPM plastic. These 3 aluminum parts cost less than $60 for all 3 if you get them from E-bay and they come with bearings which is nice. Everything else I buy is RPM and so far ive had NO issues with parts breaking at all.
    Just my thoughts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    First off what good is a bash proof truck that doesn't move. Just get the BL motor and esc combo of your choice and a job, problem solved.

Have fun.

RC Qualifier
    lol, a job isnt that easy to get when you are a graduating highschool senior who is leaving for college out of state in no more than 5 months...

I'll have to do some research into new motors, and see what comes up.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolestDinosoar
    lol, a job isnt that easy to get when you are a graduating high school senior who is leaving for college out of state in no more than 5 months...
    I'll have to do some research into new motors, and see what comes up.
    I can understand your situation. My son is exactly where you are right now, and i am too after being out of work for a few weeks. after reading through all the replies i would suggest you get the Elictrifly S600. As soon as i get the money, im gonna try this motor for myself. Save your money for other upgrades and for school expenses as well. And another recommendation, finish college and get a degree in something, even if it is basket-weaving. you will be better off for it in your life.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rex cars
    I can understand your situation. My son is exactly where you are right now, and i am too after being out of work for a few weeks. after reading through all the replies i would suggest you get the Elictrifly S600. As soon as i get the money, im gonna try this motor for myself. Save your money for other upgrades and for school expenses as well. And another recommendation, finish college and get a degree in something, even if it is basket-weaving. you will be better off for it in your life.
    I am definitely going to finish college.
    I have the skills, I have the knowledge, I just have to put them to work!.
    I am going for Mechanical Engineering, and can't wait for the hands on experience!
    The school I am going to has a team that builds an off-road racing buggy, and Im going to wait to see what the paint scheme will be, and paint my slash to match, and bring it to the competitions haha

RC Competitor
    Try a Komodo Dragon 17T have heard they will run stronger and longer than the 12 titan. Try the water breakin best thing yet. Cost about 40 bucks at A main.
    Speed kills. Let's go kill something today.

RC Qualifier
    Get all the RPM stuff and then get the VXL system. Your slash will be like Super-Slash.
    MERV
    Stampede XL-5