RC Competitor

Mamba max pro and velineon motor?

So i have been running my slash 4x4 and it has been a blast but i have been reading a lot about how much trouble the stock esc can be. I have heard also that overall the stock motor is solid. I also have been having some minor troubles with my esc. I run 2-3s lipos. I am looking to go with the mamba max pro esc but i want to keep the stock motor and not spend a lot of money. Will this work? How will the temps and speed be affected? How is it for those who tried it?
    Thanks in advance!!

RC Qualifier
    it'll work, should not effect temps at all since the motor will still be maxxed out at the 3500kv, however you WILL lose your waterproofness (i made up a new word).

RC Qualifier
    if you only race it no worries. also the novak motors are pretty cheap if you decied to go bigger. prices are 100 or so.
    Revo 3.3, Slash 4x4, Savage X it really does suck.

RC Racer
    along with going with that speed control you get the tuning ability that the castle link gives you of setting the timeing and adjusting throttle and brake curves.
    I am an R/C ADDICT!!

RC Qualifier
    with the MMP and velinion motor in my 4x4 slash I run my laps faster then the VXL esc and velinion motor.

and this is with the MMP with all default settings
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Champion
    You'll need some 4.5mm male bullets plugs for the motor to match the mmpro. Field program card or castle link.

RC Qualifier
    I run this setup and It's a huge improvement over stock ESC. And running a heatsink/fan on the motor I haven't seen temps over 130 on the motor. I am running on 2 & 3s on a tight track.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob
    You'll need some 4.5mm male bullets plugs for the motor to match the mmpro. Field program card or castle link.
    4mm actually, as per their website http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html.

Craig

RC Champion
    While my Kershaw 9L is in the shop I have been running my MMP with my stock VXL motor. I have to say "WOW"

The MMP really brought the VXL to life.. Wheelies on 2S are almost effortless. Just WAY more punch and my VXL seems to run 10-15 degrees cooler if thats possible ?

The more punch is not just in my head either, heres why I can say its for sure. I am seeing about 15-20 % less runtimes on all of my 7 different Lipos, both 2S and 3S. Yeas I said 3S .. I can run a whole 5000 mAh pack through it with temps only hitting 170 at the end. This was in a gravel parking lot, tearing the tires off it the whole time. The 15-20% less runtime means something is eating 15-20% more power. I had no idea an ESC could make such a difference.

Gearing is 13/54 and outside temps about 75
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    MMP will have 5 wires coming out of it

3 motor wires with 4mm female bullets

These need to be connected to your stock motor's 3 motor wires

Stock motor has 3.5mm male bullets

You can either use an adapter or cut them and change either the esc or motor to match

Connect them in any order, if the motor spins the wrong way, swap any two and it will now be fine

Red and Black power wires connect to your battery packs (you will need to add a connector of your choice)

Reciever needs to be bound to the transmitter

Esc need to be calibrated with the transmitter once everything is connected

All the info is on Castle's website to download (called the Drivers Ed guide)

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    While my Kershaw 9L is in the shop I have been running my MMP with my stock VXL motor. I have to say "WOW"

The MMP really brought the VXL to life.. Wheelies on 2S are almost effortless. Just WAY more punch and my VXL seems to run 10-15 degrees cooler if thats possible ?

The more punch is not just in my head either, heres why I can say its for sure. I am seeing about 15-20 % less runtimes on all of my 7 different Lipos, both 2S and 3S. Yeas I said 3S .. I can run a whole 5000 mAh pack through it with temps only hitting 170 at the end. This was in a gravel parking lot, tearing the tires off it the whole time. The 15-20% less runtime means something is eating 15-20% more power. I had no idea an ESC could make such a difference.

Gearing is 13/54 and outside temps about 75
    15-20% lower runtimes may just indicate greater losses in the MMP or motor or suboptimal gearing running the motor less efficiently. The stock ESC is optimised for the 3500 motor, the MMP not so and as a result may introduce slight inefficiencies due to suboptimal timing.

I find it hard to believe there can be that much improvement with the 4x4 by using a MMP and even full mamba setup. With a good 3s/4000/50c cell on stock esc/motor my 4x4 is near uncontrollable due to too much power - it starts to flip at about 1 second from stationary on tarmac and will be skidding all four wheels all the way to at least 60-65kph (40MPH) on grass or a mud track. Obviously the bigger "heavy duty" trucks/truggies/buggies with much more weight benefit from the mamba.

May be due to our local track layout but several of us with either VXLs or 4x4s do better timed laps with 2s Lipos in Slash cars than 3s Lipos as the car is just too light to handle the extra power well and the 2s battery is lighter.

IMO you hit the limits of handling/grip with stock motor/esc and 3s battery in the slash 4x4 so the only benefit I can see with going to a MMP is if either the stock esc is faulty or you are putting ballast in to weigh down your car and stop it taking off.

I'd be interested in any other viewpoints on this
    Last edited by koolkat; 07-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.

RC poster
    Actually i just bought the Rustler thinking i was going to use the Mamba monster that i bought on my velineion motor that came with the Rustler and it was doing fine<had weights on front so wouldnt wheely much set timing for off road every thng good , but after a couple runs with that set up, i say 2-4 runs a day my Velenion started to smoke and and it burned out very bad smell and no didnt use it for speed runs my cars are strictly for off road.using a 2s gens ace 4000mah lipo,Mamba monster pro and velinion just bought the whole set up fresh out store didnt run it with stock only on set up that i posted. I would of put the mamba motor in it but waiting on gear box and motor mount. but why did my Motor burn out ????