Thread: Undecided

RC Racer

Smile Undecided

Hi guys need help in deciding. Tried to order the traxxas summit 2.4 and unfortunately i kept missing the opportunity and now the new summits are a bit harder to find as there seems to be a high demand but no supply. (sucks)

Sooooo I managed to find 2 lhs that still have the previous (discontinued) version of the summit. Color choices are only red & yellow (respectively).

Sooooooo do I get it or still wait? Red or yellow?

Help!?!?!?
    Rustler VXL & MM
    ERBE
    Summit
    and 6 more...

RC Racer
    The 2.4Ghz is nice, I upgraded mine after buying the original. But.... if I could take back the $100 I spent, I would. I don't run with anyone else so interferrance is not an issue. The smaller antenna's are nice, but not necessary.

It is nice also to have the latest greatest but that being said I would far rather get a smoking deal on the 5610 version than pay full price for the 5607.
    The radio set is the only difference and they both work exactly the same.

If you ever plan on going brushless though, the 2.4 is a must.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC poster
    +1 for 2.4

RC Qualifier
    No need for 2.4GHz unless you're planning to go brushless. The 27MHz radio works perfectly fine with the stock brushed setup.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    No need for 2.4GHz unless you're planning to go brushless. The 27MHz radio works perfectly fine with the stock brushed setup.
    +1.

Also, if you don't plan on driving around gropus of other RC's that may potentially be on the same frequency, the 27MHz works great. The range is unbelievable - much more than you'll ever need.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    One thing to remember is that on 2.4 GHz, you don't have the t-lock circuitry either so that's another plus. It wouldn't make me change my mind but it's one other thing that was changed.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the comments guys! it helped on my decision significantly..

I bit the bullet and went for a yellow 5610 today. the poor thing was looking pretty sad in the LHS so I took it home.... Got it out of the box and WOW ! This thing is MASSIVE!!! My wife liked it ..... she says it looks better than my ERBE.... I think so too.

Thanks to Traxxas for having this Forum! I did all the break in procedures i have ever read on this forum.... and it runs beautifully.

Only hickup that i had was the rear diff lock didn't move ??.... all servos worked except the rear diff it self did not move. (it was easily fixed)

also the radio didn't work at first.. but after i switched it on it did

I am very suprised and confused about the distance of the radio.... its goes very far!! brilliantly..... to a point where I know my other 27mhz Controllers (Including a Traxxas TQ) loses it signal, this TQ4 still kept going.... whats the go with that?

The reason why i bought 4 2.4 spektrums radios is because i could never run all my other trucks beyond this point of loss of signal (End of the other park)... what i don't get is this same 27mhz crystal (that i already have in one of my other trucks) stock on the 27mhz TQ4 goes beyond that point of signal loss and keeps going.... its fantastic! anything further and i would need an FPV (Next project)

I really didn't have to wait for the 2.4ghz, and I'll probably wont ever need it as I probably wont go brushless on the Summit as I have a FLUX,ERBE,VXL's and nitros to get rid of my speed cravings.

Overall, the SUMMIT is a brilliant machine..... No regrets on the purchase.

Time to stash up on spares! What else can i buy for this? extra lights? tires wheels? spare bumper? anyone?
    Rustler VXL & MM
    ERBE
    Summit
    and 6 more...

RC Champion
    See? I told you about the crazy range with the 27MHz radio!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe some here have said that the actual radio waves do a better job of getting around obstacles than the 2.4 GHz. That's a pretty rough description, if it's even accurate. I'm sure someone who knows more about it will chime in on that.

Anyway, congrats on the new truck! I remember being shocked at the size when I first opened the box. I started considering a better/larger wheel/tire combo from day one, but still haven't made up my mind. There are lots of threads here with different wheel/tires combos for you to look at.

We do break the bumper mounts, so you may need some eventually. You can't buy the mounts individually, they're packaged with the bumpers.

As for lights, you can replace the fake roof light bar with a real 4-LED bar. It's part #5684.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC poster
    I am a Radar and Antennas Sytems Engineer. Yes, 27 MHz AM radio will have longer range and work better around obstructions compared to an equally powered 2.4 system. The lower the frequency, the farther the radio waves travel with less signal degradation. Yes, some people will argue about interference and cross talk between AM radios, which is true, but if you are running by yourself or with other that have different crystals, then you are fine. BTW, dont try and run you 2.4 in more than 2 ft of water. Signal loss will be too high and vehicle will not respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3r0
    Thanks for all the comments guys! it helped on my decision significantly..

I bit the bullet and went for a yellow 5610 today. the poor thing was looking pretty sad in the LHS so I took it home.... Got it out of the box and WOW ! This thing is MASSIVE!!! My wife liked it ..... she says it looks better than my ERBE.... I think so too.

Thanks to Traxxas for having this Forum! I did all the break in procedures i have ever read on this forum.... and it runs beautifully.

Only hickup that i had was the rear diff lock didn't move ??.... all servos worked except the rear diff it self did not move. (it was easily fixed)

also the radio didn't work at first.. but after i switched it on it did

I am very suprised and confused about the distance of the radio.... its goes very far!! brilliantly..... to a point where I know my other 27mhz Controllers (Including a Traxxas TQ) loses it signal, this TQ4 still kept going.... whats the go with that?

The reason why i bought 4 2.4 spektrums radios is because i could never run all my other trucks beyond this point of loss of signal (End of the other park)... what i don't get is this same 27mhz crystal (that i already have in one of my other trucks) stock on the 27mhz TQ4 goes beyond that point of signal loss and keeps going.... its fantastic! anything further and i would need an FPV (Next project)

I really didn't have to wait for the 2.4ghz, and I'll probably wont ever need it as I probably wont go brushless on the Summit as I have a FLUX,ERBE,VXL's and nitros to get rid of my speed cravings.

Overall, the SUMMIT is a brilliant machine..... No regrets on the purchase.

Time to stash up on spares! What else can i buy for this? extra lights? tires wheels? spare bumper? anyone?
    For crawling and slow speed stuff the canyons are one of the best tires out there.If you upgrade power and like to bash the canyons won't like it very much.If your going to get it wet then the holes for drainage are IMPORTANT If you don't get the foams dry....bad news for the canyons
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    yellow blue or red white ya gotta these tires are great.hope you enjoy it,just dont get over confident in it. while reverse then hitting forward dose good wheelies it also breaks parts so limit that action as much as possible.i would also get a spare rear n front bumper mounts as they break first,thier cheap to replace too. enjoy n post ur pics having fun
    smokeGR
    2summits 2villainEX slayer3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    See? I told you about the crazy range with the 27MHz radio!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe some here have said that the actual radio waves do a better job of getting around obstacles than the 2.4 GHz. That's a pretty rough description, if it's even accurate. I'm sure someone who knows more about it will chime in on that.

Anyway, congrats on the new truck! I remember being shocked at the size when I first opened the box. I started considering a better/larger wheel/tire combo from day one, but still haven't made up my mind. There are lots of threads here with different wheel/tires combos for you to look at.

We do break the bumper mounts, so you may need some eventually. You can't buy the mounts individually, they're packaged with the bumpers.

As for lights, you can replace the fake roof light bar with a real 4-LED bar. It's part #5684.
    Cool! Thanks for the part number... I will get those lights! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SummitRustler
    I am a Radar and Antennas Sytems Engineer. Yes, 27 MHz AM radio will have longer range and work better around obstructions compared to an equally powered 2.4 system. The lower the frequency, the farther the radio waves travel with less signal degradation. Yes, some people will argue about interference and cross talk between AM radios, which is true, but if you are running by yourself or with other that have different crystals, then you are fine. BTW, dont try and run you 2.4 in more than 2 ft of water. Signal loss will be too high and vehicle will not respond.
    I still don't get it... I have all the channels for the 27mhz range..... none of my AM radios go past the point but this TQ4 does!?!? I am really baffled by this... its fantastic! I won't go 2.4 on this until i see the need to do so. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeGR
    yellow blue or red white ya gotta these tires are great.hope you enjoy it,just dont get over confident in it. while reverse then hitting forward dose good wheelies it also breaks parts so limit that action as much as possible.i would also get a spare rear n front bumper mounts as they break first,thier cheap to replace too. enjoy n post ur pics having fun
    WOW! I like those wheels! what are they? (save me the trouble of searching) that looks sick! and yeah thanks for the tip.... going backwards then forwards is actually quite fun but i will stop doing that now
    I will go to my LHS and get both bumper mounts for spares.

I still don't get this truck though.... It will never ever catch up with my ERBE.... not even close to the speed of my MICRO Truck.. its heavier than my crawlers.... it doesn't drift like my drift cars.... but WOW! its really fun! I've had more fun running this in the past 4 hours more than my other trucks that i've have for more than a year! (ie: I got bored of my other truck after a few hours of backflips)

There's gotta be something wrong with me.

I've noticed a squeeking noise.... i can't seem to hear it if i have the Summit on a bucket.... is it the wheels?

also

Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    For crawling and slow speed stuff the canyons are one of the best tires out there.If you upgrade power and like to bash the canyons won't like it very much.If your going to get it wet then the holes for drainage are IMPORTANT If you don't get the foams dry....bad news for the canyons
    where do i drill holes? on the wheel or on the tires?
    Last edited by Z3r0; 04-20-2010 at 05:31 AM.
    Rustler VXL & MM
    ERBE
    Summit
    and 6 more...

RC Racer
    I still don't get this truck though.... It will never ever catch up with my ERBE.... not even close to the speed of my MICRO Truck.. its heavier than my crawlers.... it doesn't drift like my drift cars.... but WOW! its really fun! I've had more fun running this in the past 4 hours more than my other trucks that i've have for more than a year! (ie: I got bored of my other truck after a few hours of backflips)

There's gotta be something wrong with me.

i noticed a squeeking noise.... i can't seem to hear it if i have the Summit on a bucket.... is it the wheels?

here ya go. link to get tires and wheels. tires are moabs 40 series.
    http://prolineracing.com/monster-truck-wheels i do wheelies from reversto just dont get to crazy.the summit is not speedster but when you hit the trail n see some rocks or water or mud.the fun begins.
    smokeGR

RC Champion
    I have found the most common places for my summit to squeak are either the motor bushings need oil or the cv's in the driveshafts, if the suspension is cranked up, a little wd40 will usually take care of it though.

you want to cut little slices in 4 even spots around the center tread of the tires, there is actually directions in the manual for this.

A lower lighter body and a wider stance has turned my summit into a whole new machine.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Champion
    or you can just plug the holes in the rims with hot glue and if the waters deep enough it will make you summit float LOL
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3r0

I still don't get it... I have all the channels for the 27mhz range..... none of my AM radios go past the point but this TQ4 does!?!? I am really baffled by this... its fantastic! I won't go 2.4 on this until i see the need to do so. Thanks!
    One channel on the 27MHz band you may want to avoid using is #6 (27.255MHz, blue). This channel is shared directly with 2-way CB voice radios, and seems very commonly used (much more than the others) for remote car alarm pagers.
    Ch #1 (26.995 brown) and #3 (27.095 orange) in particular I've found to have the least amount of interference sources.
    It's also possible to switch the channel crystals around to effectively have a full 'nother set of channels for a total of 12 available channels (put the TX crystal into the receiver and vice-versa). You may lose a tiny amount of range if you do this (may or may not even be noticeable) but would allow for the running of twice as many models.

I've noticed a squeeking noise.... i can't seem to hear it if i have the Summit on a bucket.... is it the wheels?
    It's the axle shafts (drive pins in the ends squeaking). Nothing to worry about although lubing them with grease will quiet them for a few runs until they get dirty again.

where do i drill holes? on the wheel or on the tires?

I used a pair of sharp scissors to cut the holes (pinch a tire tread with your fingers then nip the rubber in the center where it's folded with the scissors).

RC Racer
    Glad to hear you went for the yellow one . It was the best choice of the two. Afterall, Mine started out that color. But has since changed

The possibilities are endless.
    Have tried to resize that second picture several times and it just doesnt change.
    Last edited by swift06; 04-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Summit
    Slash 4x4
    Merv
    2 Heli's
    1plane

RC Racer
    now your summit looks very clean so either u dont run it much or you spend alot of time leaning but i do to soooo but maybe it is the pics but i dont see any scratches on roll cage or the aluminum n cnc picies..is that a show summit looks good but i wanna see pic or vid of it rock climbing n some water runs...had mine at creek other day with the canyons on it went into the deep part must of hit rock n it fliped it over an went to bottom submerged for like 2min pulled it out an away it went no water problems..i give the summit10 but yea yellow

smokeGR

RC Racer
    Congrats on the Summit! Spares are easy to find and cheap to buy. Look on Ebay and there are lots of people that part out brand new Summits (going to sound like a broken record here, but Jenny's RC out of NY is awesome for this). I got a new tranny and two new diffs for under $100, batteries for $30, etc, etc.. Besides the chassis I can pretty much fix/replace anything that breaks when away from home. Handy.

As for the squeaking... Noticable when crawling perhaps? Put some Super Lube or equivalent on the suspension push rod ball joints and work the suspension up and down. Mine squeaks like a **** when crawling if I don't lube those balls...

Oh yeah... ditto on those bumper mounts. I like the Revo mounts personally as they are lower.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeGR
    now your summit looks very clean so either u dont run it much or you spend alot of time leaning but i do to soooo but maybe it is the pics but i dont see any scratches on roll cage or the aluminum n cnc picies..is that a show summit looks good but i wanna see pic or vid of it rock climbing n some water runs...had mine at creek other day with the canyons on it went into the deep part must of hit rock n it fliped it over an went to bottom submerged for like 2min pulled it out an away it went no water problems..i give the summit10 but yea yellow

My Summit has been very dirty. Just don't seem to have camera with me at the time. I am also very meticulous about keeping it spotless. So when it does get dirty, it doesnt stay that way long. Maybe 5 minutes. My wife says I,m **** But it has even been crashed to the point of having to be completely rebuilt. Wasn't a pretty sight . But its back now only better. And no it probably doesnt get run as much as others due to my disabilitiy and limitations. But if I ever sell it I can surely say its got low mileage . I have two other custom bodies for it that I will try and get some pics up this week yet. And yes they were painted on the inside (not like Bakushan) Sorry, had to go there Anyhow, Its rediculous what we spend on them, but it sure is fun!!! If I had it to do all over again, I would. Oh! WAIT! Who says I'm done yet?
    Summit
    Slash 4x4
    Merv
    2 Heli's
    1plane

RC Racer

Red face

wow! thanks for all your replies and tips guys... I couldn't set the quote as there is too many but do appreciate all your response and the pics!

the squeaking is geting abit louder and it is noisy when going fast.... crawling, i can barely hear it but its there so i'll try all the tips and let you guys know how it goes. if the squeeking is not a problem, i can live with it i guess but will try to remedy it.....

I'd like to post a pic but I don't know how. i have no option to load a pic.

Currently installed the Talon tires that came from my ERBE at the moment for bashing while i'm deciding on which tire/wheel to get. its looks funny with the Talons and wish i could upload for you to see....

SMOKEGR - Thanks for the tire links and yeah, I'm dead set on those MOABs.

SWIFT06- Those Spinners are wicked!! Do they come in BLACK? where did you get them? are they 40's? The body looks great! are those aluminium rockers? where can i get a set of those? - Keen of seeing your other summit bodies.

hugh jorgan - Thanks I'll search the web and check that RC shop out.

SCOTTW - Hmm I might give that a try first and gluegun the holes and see what thats like. if it still gets in, I'll cut little holes as SFR4x4 advised.

SFR4X4 - Thanks for the radio tips, I'll certainly try them all out. Thanks for the tip on the tire holes. I'll try them after testing SCOTTW theory...

The bumper holders looks very weak and I think I will be busting quite a few of them very very soon. My LHS dont have them in stock so i'll have to go and order quite a few from ebay which may not be a good option... are there any substitutes that can be used?

Also I'm curious about gearing..... has anyone tried different gearing on the stock motor..

Manual says "Gearing Compatibility Chart" (wow I actually read the manual... I didn't do this to my ERBE and it still works great )

"The Chart Below shows a full range of gear combinations. This does NOT imply that these gear combinations should be used." etc...etc..

has anyone tried any other combinations and had no problems? As a spare for my ERBE, I have the (2x each) 68 65 62 54 Spur.. I'm not really after speed but just curious if anyone has changed their gearing and found it better with the stock motor.

Also whats a "BAKUSHAN" ???
    Last edited by Z3r0; 04-21-2010 at 07:10 AM.
    Rustler VXL & MM
    ERBE
    Summit
    and 6 more...

RC Racer
    Z3r0- Sorry, but no the spinners dont come in black. Infact you would be lucky to find another set like them. They are 40 series all aluminum, but they stopped making them about 10-11 years ago. At that time they cost around $360.00 a set, so being that they are now basically a collectors item, I have no idea what they are worth .
    Yes those are aluminum rockers you see in the pics. I found mine on Ebay. Thats usually where I look for most of the parts I need. Saved alot of money that way.
    Oh!, And Bakushan is another poster on here that we pick on once in a while. He's a good guy, and we have alot of fun on here with him. He is suppose to be having a body for his Summit custom painted on the outside, but we have been waiting for what seems like months to see it and it still hasn't materialized. We're growing old waiting
    If you ever have more questions, dont hesitate to post them. Someone on here will try and help. Sometimes we all agree, and sometimes we all agree to disagree. Sometimes it can get a little heated towards each other . But in the end we all work it out and get along .
    Last edited by swift06; 04-21-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Summit
    Slash 4x4
    Merv
    2 Heli's
    1plane