RC Enthusiast

3s 5000 mah too much?

ok guys i have a stock brushless motor on my slash,and i have tried alot of things for cooling but it still gets too hot,do you guys think 11.1v 5000 mah is too much for the stock system,i have a venom lipower 3s pack,great battery but the system cant take it,anyone have any suggestions,anyone want to buy it from me or trade for a 2s lipo?

RC Qualifier
    What type of surface are you running the truck on? What pinion are you using? I run a couple of Venom 5400mah 3s and while the motor gets hot, so far it hasn't exceeded the danger point. Hottest I've seen mine get is 178F.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Enthusiast
    i have been getting slightly lower temps but it shuts down,i dont know if its a low voltage,and the battery is fine,i also tried another 3s and it still did it.

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you have no binding in the drivetrain. Check all wheel bearings. Check the plastic spacer and bearing on the slipper that goes between the bearing in the gear and the spring.

Are you breaking hard and accelerating hard? Speed runs? Short bursts like this will cause heat. What C rating is your battery?
    MERV/MMP/1112 1y/4s
    Slash 4x4/MMM/2650/4s/5s

RC Qualifier

Question

What pinion are you using?

RC Qualifier
    How much run time into the battery are you getting before it cuts out due to heat? It's pretty common for 3s batteries to generate more heat, as others have asked, what pinion are you running? You can try to go down a couple of teeth to try to bring temps down a bit. Try getting a fan for both the ESC and the Motor. You can usually get heatsinks for the motor that have fans on them, so I suggest that. I see you're in Florida, so you're going to be fighting heat anyway since it's much warmer there than in most parts of the country. Try out the fans and going down a few teeth and you should be alright.

RC Racer
    The esc is known to go to early cut off for 3s lipos too.
    4x4 Slash
    3 2wd Slash
    3.3 T-max
    3.3 Revo

RC Enthusiast
    im running 13 tooth pinion,and i only hit the throttle for the jumps and the straight away,so i think i made a mistake by getting a 3s,does anyone want a 3s for like $55 or trade for a 2s?