Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107

    Outerwears shroud pics!

    I really like this. It attaches to the car with velcro that you put around the edge of the body. The shroud will protect from all debris and WATER. Yep, its waterproof and breathable. I think this can solve lots of problems for alot of people. I am definitely happy with the purchase and see no reason to purchase an over or under tray.








  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    1,035
    That does look good. Have you ran the truck with it on yet? If so, what was the temps outside, how long did you run, and what was the final temps? I wonder if the velcro will end up not holding well to each side. I have used velcro on a few things and after a little dirt, it won't stick to itself. It may depend on the quality of velcro I guess.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    401
    I would like to see how well the velcro and its glue holds up to the elements its inevitably going to see.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    859
    That truck doesn't look like it's ever been run. It's like a garage queen with a bunch of expensive parts.

    And why is the old front bumper support still attached to the front diff housing? Since there's an RPM bumper installed, that thing can be thrown in the trash.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Ok to answer everyones questions....

    The truck has been run lots! I ended up ordering a crapload of stuff and just installed it all. My ESC was sent back to Traxxas and they are sending me a new one. Its been on backorder. I decided to clean everything up. Thats why it looks clean, haters... LOL

    The velcro seems to be pretty strong but I will keep you informed.

    I cant answer anything about temps yet as I dont have my ESC. As soon as my truck is running I will let you all know.

    The old front bumper support is on because I can carry it from there. Is that ok with you?

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    401
    The more I look at it the more I like it.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAnt
    The old front bumper support is on because I can carry it from there. Is that ok with you?
    Just asking. I carry mine from the rear. Then I can carry it with the body on as well.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    They're out of stock everywhere. Amain hobbies sell them - I bought mine from outerwears and am waiting for it to arrive.

    I've been using a custom flyscreen mesh cover with zip ties to help keep some of the rocks/grass out. It works pretty well considering how and where I drive it. If the velcro wears off just buy some from a store and refit.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    So I finally got to use it today. Now for the update...

    The velcro held up great so far. Kept most of the mess outside. Still lots of dust getting in but working as I thought it would.

    As for temps, today it was around 85 degrees outside while I was running. I ran on 3s for a while and when I took the temp both the ESC and motor averaged around 125 degrees. Is that a safe amount of heat? I was around 120 motor and 110 ESC on 2s.

    PS: I have the integy fan on the motor and the traxxas fan on the ESC.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    859
    You must not have been running it very hard if the temps only got up to 120F on 3s. I try to gear my truck to run at a max of around 165F or so. Like a full size car engine, you want some heat in it. You just don't wanna overheat it. Traxxas suggests keeping it below 200F. Most other racers suggest staying below 180F. I say gear it for mid 160's and have some fun.

    At my track on a 2s LiPo I run a 15t pinion to reach the optimal temp.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    293
    They should make one that will also fit over the receiver box when it's mounted behind the front shock tower, for those of us running the mamba monster setup.

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    You must not have been running it very hard if the temps only got up to 120F on 3s. I try to gear my truck to run at a max of around 165F or so. Like a full size car engine, you want some heat in it. You just don't wanna overheat it. Traxxas suggests keeping it below 200F. Most other racers suggest staying below 180F. I say gear it for mid 160's and have some fun.

    At my track on a 2s LiPo I run a 15t pinion to reach the optimal temp.
    I will try to run it harder today to see what I come up with. 19/54 should do the trick

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford BC
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by markturbo
    They should make one that will also fit over the receiver box when it's mounted behind the front shock tower, for those of us running the mamba monster setup.
    you could always buy the fabric and cut it yourself. some auto parts stores and dirt bike shops sell it.

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    74
    what if i have my antenna tube in a different location??
    Brian
    slash 2wd
    slash 4x4 PE

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    899
    nice truck.
    i like the peep hole you cut in the corner of your blinds.
    Yup, that's right... i'm a ***** fanboy.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Lol that peep hole is courtesy of my evil cat

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    89
    so, nerf bars are a no go with that shroud? or you just got em off

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMILLER816
    so, nerf bars are a no go with that shroud? or you just got em off
    you could run them just fine, the fabric will just bend if they are in the way, velcro holds it in place
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winterville,NC
    Posts
    57
    Curious as to how it is still working for you

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Well I would love to give more info but after my first run with it on (and waiting for over a month for my ESC to be shipped to me from traxxas), my motor is shot and I have not been able to run it. The rod coming out is bent. No idea how it happened but all it does is eat up spurs. Time to send it in...

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winterville,NC
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAnt
    Well I would love to give more info but after my first run with it on (and waiting for over a month for my ESC to be shipped to me from traxxas), my motor is shot and I have not been able to run it. The rod coming out is bent. No idea how it happened but all it does is eat up spurs. Time to send it in...

    If you're talking about the motor rotor (say that 3 times fast) I have one on my desk in front of me. You can have it if you just pay the shipping.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by MudFlaps
    If you're talking about the motor rotor (say that 3 times fast) I have one on my desk in front of me. You can have it if you just pay the shipping.
    Being that I am a somewhat noobie, is the motor rotor the assembly that is housed inside the motor case? This is the piece I need.



    If you look at the rod on the right you can see that it is slightly bent. That is what is screwing everything up. If this is what you have, then please PM me with your info and I will call you to work things out.

    Thanks!

  23. #23
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    That truck doesn't look like it's ever been run. It's like a garage queen with a bunch of expensive parts.

    And why is the old front bumper support still attached to the front diff housing? Since there's an RPM bumper installed, that thing can be thrown in the trash.
    i cant tell you how many times i have seen that,i guess people just like added weight i dont know?i like how you said thrown in the trash.

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Just called traxxas and they are going to send me a rebuild kit for free along with a used motor rotor to replace the one I have. They really have the whole customer service thing down great there. Mudflaps, I am still interested in yours too if its available.

  25. #25
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    1,035
    I have peep holes in a few on my blinds too.... due to my FAT cat!! When I saw the "peep hole" in the pic, I knew what caused it!
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winterville,NC
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAnt
    Just called traxxas and they are going to send me a rebuild kit for free along with a used motor rotor to replace the one I have. They really have the whole customer service thing down great there. Mudflaps, I am still interested in yours too if its available.

    PM sent

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAnt
    How is the PL shocks working for you?

    I was thinking of getting those or traxxas BB shocks.

    Off topic: DX7? I really want one . What do you fly?
    I got skills!

  28. #28
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    2,784
    Just pull some panty hose over it and save some money.... LOL Wonder if they make Heavy Duty panty hose ?
    3905 E-MAXX

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman
    How is the PL shocks working for you?

    I was thinking of getting those or traxxas BB shocks.
    Judging by the pictures and reading the thread, your guess is about as good as his.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

  30. #30
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance
    Judging by the pictures and reading the thread, your guess is about as good as his.

    True lol. I will let you know as soon as she is running.

  31. #31
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman

    Off topic: DX7? I really want one . What do you fly?
    I have 3 helicopters and 2 airplanes. My 2 planes are an indoor J3 Cub and a large outdoor t-28 Trojan. Getting a T-34 Mentor this week.

    My helis are a Blade MSR, Blade CX2 and a Blade SR. I am getting ready to pick up a T-Rex 700. Helis are LOTS of fun but very hard to fly. Youtube the trex 700 and watch some of the insane videos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •