RC Racer

Mamba 4600kva Motor

Has any one ran this in there Slash 4x4 on Lipo 2s with good luck????
    1/16 Revo/Slash 4x4/Revo 2.0
    HPI Baja 5T-Loaded

RC poster

Quote Originally Posted by NASTYREVO
    Has any one ran this in there Slash 4x4 on Lipo 2s with good luck????
    I run the 4600 in mine with a 12 tooth pinion...Works fine..

RC Racer
    Is it much faster than the stock motor???
    HPI Baja 5T-Loaded

Just to let you know, Castle does not recommend those motors in the 4x4
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Just to let you know, Castle does not recommend those motors in the 4x4
    why is that?

RC Competitor
    Castle usually says the limit of their 36x50 mm motos is 4 lbs

Because a) the kv makes them hard to gear correctly

b) these heavier trucks really need a little more motor, to keep from pushing the motor to hard.
    _
    _

RC Racer
    Stock 2WD Slash weighs 4.77lbs,so what is the weight of the 4X4???
    HPI Baja 5T-Loaded

It's about a pound heavier, but it also has to push 4 wheels, not just 2. Also the Slash 2wd is starting to push the limit.
    _
    _

RC Competitor
    im using that combo, i have a 14t pinion 54 spur and the integy motor fan/heatsink im still testing though. so far my temps are about the 170 degree mark but its fast as can be lol on 2s lipo

RC Competitor
    and plus the fact that everyone says not to run this setup makes me want to anyways. besides the mm and 4600kv were just collecting dust on my shelf

RC Competitor
    I'm running the 4600 MM. I had to pinion down to 11. Integy heatsink/fan, temp stays in the 150 range. Even with the 11 my truck is plenty fast for our tight track
    Using 5200Mah 2s 25c lipo
    Last edited by tmaxx254me; 04-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Stock Slash 4x2
    Slash 4x4 RTR
    Shake-N-Bake!

RC Qualifier
    I tried my 4600 in my 4x4 and even with 12/54 gearing it was running in the 190-210 range on 2s. I would not recommend it. Go with the Mamba Monster! I have a 2650kv in my PE and it rocks!!! running 22/54 gearing on 3s with motor temps around 90-100, and esc temps around 80.
    Break it, so you can upgrade it!

RC Racer
    novak is comin with these 550 motors. should be very good in slashes.
    http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...550/index.html
    Loose Nuts Racing
    Skip Shartzer

RC Qualifier
    they will be good, they are basically a revamped hv pro motor, same exact spec. just rebuildable, i use the 5.5 on 3s works great, if you use strictly 2s, then the 4.5 would suit that better.

RC Racer
    Slash 4x4 w/2s lipo weighs 5lbs 8ozs.
    HPI Baja 5T-Loaded

RC Qualifier
    I love it when people suggest the mamba monster combo so quickly like it doesn't cost $215 on sale. That's expensive.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Competitor
    I hear you on the price thing. I had a hard time bringing myself to spend the money on the mmm. But in the end I figured it would be a lot cheaper to do it right the first time instead of spend money on something would be borderline at best and end up with it on the shelf later.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life
    I love it when people suggest the mamba monster combo so quickly like it doesn't cost $215 on sale. That's expensive.
    IMO that isn't a bad value at all. People ask about using other (inadequate) systems which are worth $100-150... if they'd just sell off that stuff and ante up it wouldn't add that much to their cost. I payed $230 to get my Mamba Max back in the day, so the idea of getting a MMM for even less than the MM cost is pretty exciting to me. Are they really $215 on sale these days?

Don't get me wrong though, I still feel you to some degree. I find it a little silly the way so many people jump straight to recommending a MMM setup whenever a question is asked about any motor or ESC. I guess the assumption here is that anyone who'd ask about using a CMS36 motor in a Slash 4x4 needs to be handed a setup with plenty of margin? I guess that makes plenty of sense to me.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been on the phone with Castle Creations over the past few days, and am pretty much dead set on my new set-up now. The Mamba Max pro ESC, with the Neu Motor 1509 seems to be the best set-up available at the moment for the Slash 4x4 (according to the design team at Castle).

Drawback? It's gonna be a $320 upgrade!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesti
    I've been on the phone with Castle Creations over the past few days, and am pretty much dead set on my new set-up now. The Mamba Max pro ESC, with the Neu Motor 1509 seems to be the best set-up available at the moment for the Slash 4x4 (according to the design team at Castle).

Please explain why they recommended a MMP over a Monster?? Also, which Neu Motor 1509?
    Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-16-2010 at 01:52 PM.

RC Racer
    Neu PN# 1509/1Y 3600kva
    With a 16t pinion,2s Lipo it does 45mph with low temps. It also has alot of bottom end. I just dont see spending $200 for a motor and $150 or more for ESC in a $385 truck. I am going to keep my motor and esc stock,and find ways to loss some weight. If I was going to buy a MMM system,I would put it in a 1/8 scale.
    HPI Baja 5T-Loaded

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NASTYREVO
    Neu PN# 1509/1Y 3600kva
    With a 16t pinion,2s Lipo it does 45mph with low temps. It also has alot of bottom end. I just dont see spending $200 for a motor and $150 or more for ESC in a $385 truck. I am going to keep my motor and esc stock,and find ways to loss some weight. If I was going to buy a MMM system,I would put it in a 1/8 scale.
    Agreed. The MMM seems like overkill for a slash. There has to be something other then the VXL 3s setup in the $150 range.

I have an Xerun 80a esc that I got for $60. I just need to find a suitable motor to pair it up with.

RC Enthusiast
    Please explain why they recommended a MMP over a Monster?? Also, which Neu Motor 1509?
    He said the MMP makes more sense, because it takes up less space, saves weight, costs less, and will perform just as effectively/efficiently as the Monster ESC.

Considering he's telling me to go with the CHEAPER of the two (and he works for them) then I tend to believe what he said. We spent about 25 minutes on the phone talking about it... ridiculously awesome customer support.

He basically said that after EXTENSIVE testing with many combos, that the MMP with 1509 was simply the best they have found, all things considered (performance, weight, space, money).

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. That just further backs up the thought that a MMM is overkill in a slash 4x4. Its place is in 1/8 4wd monster trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. That just further backs up the thought that a MMM is overkill in a slash 4x4. Its place is in 1/8 4wd monster trucks.
    I don't think any rational person ever said that the MMM was the minimum setup to run in a slash... The truth of the matter is that you can go to your LHS or Tower and pick up a MMM and bolt it straight into the Slash 4x4. You can't do that with a MMP and a 1509. I think it's quite fair to say that the MMM 2650 is by far the most widely available combo which can be used for bashing on 3s without overheating.

The power handling on a MMP isn't very far below the MMM ESC at all (which is why the cost difference is only $28!). The 2650kv MMM motor is a 1512, only one step above a 1509.

I think it's a totally fair assumption that the MMP/1509 combo is an awesome sweet spot for this vehicle. If it -is- the sweet spot that only indicates that the MMM is slight overkill.

RC Competitor
    Why run 3s when you could run 2s with the mmp and the novak 4.5 hv and be just as fast and not have any trouble with temps and smoother throttle control.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesti

The MMP is probably not far from the best ESC option overall.. if not THE best option... what it offers in terms of power handling and BEC and Castle Link etc... just a brilliant esc for this truck.. but as good as the neu motors are, the wait is awful.. a friend ordered a 1409 1y and it took over 3 months.... thats not acceptable...

The Novak HV series motors and the new Ballistic 550s will be excellent power plants. I prefer the more tame 5.5HV but many others like the 4.5HV. Either way, its equally as good an option and half the price of the 1509.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle