RC Qualifier

Need oil in my differential?

There is some clicking noises coming from my Slash. I'm wondering if I need to put oil in the diffrential. Do you think it leaked out?

The left side has oil coming out at the driveshaft, the right side is fine.

Here are a couple pictures of the left & right side.

Left side

Right side

Do you think that might be the problem? I checked the pinion & spur gear. Is there a way to stop it from leaking out?

Thanks
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Racer
    Have the same problem. I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on how to fix and cure it.
    "I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right but it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." President Abraham Lincoln

RC Champion
    Sorry to be off topic (hope I never have this problem... ) but Marshall how did you get your signature that long?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    I would like to know also. my front right side looks like dust is starting stick around where the axle comes out but not as bad as yours and I'm new to all this so I don't even know where to begin.

RC Champion
    if in fact it is leaking out, after you take it apart and refill it cant you add a little silicone around the diff cup and gear to stop this. you may have to let it dry a little while before complete reassemble. its just an idea!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    This is what it sounds like. (That's not my video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18DOpyvkNI

RC Qualifier
    What kind of differential oil/fluid do I need. Can I use any kind? Like bearing grease?

RC Qualifier
    Go to your local hobby shop and tell them you need Differential Oil. 5 to 7,000 should be great. However, that is the rear... and it doesn't have oil (stock) to leak. It comes packed with cheesey grease like you originally wanted to put in.

I recommend checking every bearing during tear down and relubing them as well. This truck requires a lot of regular maintenance.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    i would use 10k diff lube, and get a new bearing for that side of the diff. the reason for most leaks is caused by bearing malfunction.
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Haha, he should get some 100k so it acts like bearing grease.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance
    Haha, he should get some 100k so it acts like bearing grease.
    then it would leak even faster.
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Man, has it been that long since I have lubed my diffs that I can't even count the right way?
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    i just did it this weekend and the truck runs like new! its easy, and fun. lol
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    easy fix the problem is your bearings need cleaning clean out the diff and replace with some 5 to 10k diff silicon oil. the bearing need to be cleaned and reoiled with some thin motor oil nonsynthetic. if you use syn make sure you use the same kind everytime. dont try using WD40 its too thin to lub them up and after using it makes the oil you put on the bearings really silk and not want to bind to it. thats probely not the correct wording to use but it makes sence to me. the electrica motor cleaner you can buy to clean off electrical parts works good for cleaning since it dries fast and with no residue. the blue sides on the bearings can be pulled off by using an exacto knife by sliding it on the outer edge of the blue section and slightly tilting it and pulling up to expose the bearings. also dont try and fill the bearing up with alot of oil. place several drops and then spin the bearings so to lube them all up before putting it back together. if too much oil is used it can cause excess dust build up and cause the same problem again. also the stock grease in the diff case cover should be cleaned off and new grease added so to get all the grit and grim out of the gears. i think that should cover everything. oh a note to add i use 5k on the rear and it works great for small tracks with alot of turns the thinner lube helps to even out the torque on the rear when cornering. alot of people i talk to run 5 to 7k on rear and 10 to 15k on front. I dont know about the center diff yet since i havent gotten one yet but its on the top of my list.
    Revo 3.3, Slash 4x4, Savage X it really does suck.

RC Qualifier
    I run 7k in the rear
    50k in my center diff
    and 15k in my front diff...

works well...
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    sounds like diff is stripped, may need to replace ring.
    My MERV or My WIFE, GOD i'm gonna miss her!

RC Qualifier
    Well, it's been a while but I found the problem...................

After I cleaned it out, put it back together & drove it. The click was gone!

I think it was a combination dirt in the diff housing & a partly stripped spur gear.

Since then there has hardly been any problems except if I hit really hard in the rear the click comes back then if I land hard again it goes away.

This is one of my favorite pics of the Slash:

Last edited by Rusty+Jump=Fun!; 05-06-2010 at 07:25 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    just fixed my leaking diff also needed the little blue rubber seal (mine was in two pieces allowing fluid to leak out) can be found in diff rebuild kit tra#5381